9.30.2008

White Eggplant Ratatouille over Baked Polenta

The white eggplant I had has been "burning a hole in my pocket" so I was so excited to finally use and taste it! Here it is after I peeled it and right before chopping. It just looks cool.
Ingredients:

  • 1 medium white eggplant, peeled and chopped
  • 2 small zucchini, chopped
  • 1/2 medium onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup red pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup white wine
  • 1 8oz can tomato sauce
  • 2 heaping spoonfuls of part-skim ricotta
  • dried basil
  • fresh ground pepper
  • fresh ground red pepper
  • garlic powder
  • sea salt
  • Trader Joes pre-cooked organic polenta
To start, place eggplant and zucchini in a colander and season with salt, let sit in sink or over a plate for about 15 mins. Pat dry with a paper towel. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Slice polenta and place on baking sheet that has been sprayed with PAM. Drizzle with EVOO and season with salt and pepper. Place in oven for 25-30 mins.

Heat oil in skillet over medium to medium high heat and add onion, garlic, carrots, red pepper, zucchini, and eggplant. Cook until veggies are all slightly tender. (around 15 mins) Add all seasonings to taste. (i like mine spicier, so I added more black and red pepper)Bottom of pan should have beautiful brown bits from the veggies. Add wine to deglaze pan. I made sure to refill my glass after adding to the pan... After scraping up all brown bits a.k.a. "flavor" - add tomato sauce. Mix together and cook another 5 mins. Then, add the ricotta... ...and mix until it looks creamy and delicious. Make sure to taste and add seasonings as needed. Serve ratatouille over baked polenta and ENJOY!Overall, I thought this dish was absolutely delicious and filling with a ton of flavor. White eggplant was very easy to work with and seemed firmer to me, although I dont have much experience with regular eggplant, so who knows. It definitely has a nutty flavor that added a great dimension to this dish. This would be great served over pasta as well, but I think the polenta went perfectly!

Before making this great dinner, I went for a 35 min run around the park and down by the water with Oscar. It is the best feeling when a run feels easy - I dont want to lose this feeling! Afterwards, I came back and did some abs and upper body lifting. It felt great.

I am about to settle in for a new episode of Biggest Loser and have Skinny Cow Chocolate Fudge Cone....YUM. Hope everyone has a great night!

8 comments:

Anonymous September 30, 2008 at 9:07 PM  

Great dish! You used all of my fave veggies. I love your step by step directions.

Hollie October 1, 2008 at 5:27 AM  

Thank you! They were the most amazing. =P Needing to be stored in the fridge, or else the frosting/glaze was seeming to melt, I wasn't sure of a 'cold cupcake', but I felt it made them better.

Small batch too, I'd highly recommend making them. ;)

I have to ask one question: The Skinny Cow ice cream cones, are they any good- taste and size wise? I've always wondered.

-Hollie

Anonymous October 1, 2008 at 8:06 AM  

Thanks for sharing the recipe, I am definitely going to make it. Being Italian, how can I pass up anything with tomato sauce and ricotta!

Looks delicious!

lauren October 1, 2008 at 9:16 AM  

meghann/ thanks!

hollie/ I thought the chocolate cones I had were really good. It was the first time I had them and to me, it tasted like a full fat version. The size is normal too!

d10/ sometimes I take a spoonful of ricotta and top with some tomato sauce as a snack. I love that combo :)

Aron October 1, 2008 at 11:39 AM  

that looks DELICIOUS!!!!

my mom always has skinny cows in the fridge - they are pretty yummy :)

biggest loser :*(

Anonymous October 1, 2008 at 5:05 PM  

Wow! I've never even heard of white eggplant - shows how behind on the times I am! This dish looks awesome :o)

HangryPants October 2, 2008 at 6:39 AM  

This looks so good! Love all the veggie.

I love those little ice cream things. :)

Anonymous November 10, 2008 at 1:16 PM  

Love the addition of ricotta to your dish!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP