9.14.2008

"Chicken Von Ronzo"

My Sunday took an active turn since my last post. Got a little stir crazy being inside on this sunny day, so first I did 4 sets of 15 push-ups and 20 sit-ups. Then, Kevin and I took Oscar up to Robert E Lee Park in Mt. Washington for a walk. We probably walked for about 30 mins through the woods by the water. They have closed the bridge that used to cross over to this long path and park area. I heard the reason they shut the bridge was because there was a stabbing there which is very sad because it was such a nice place to bring your dog or take a run. The sign actually said there were structural issues with the bridge, so who knows. It was nice to get outside, but it was super humid and I felt breathless going up very small hills.

Once home, Kevin was set to cook up a hearty tomato sauce from scratch. It is awesome that he loves to cook as much as I do - he actually took a few cooking classes in college! But when he cooks, it means that I have to do dishes, so I try to cook as much as possible ;)

This dish is going to be called "Chicken Von Ronzo", as requested by the chef. Please dont ask me why. :)

He used the following ingredients for the sauce:

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon whipped light butter
  • 4 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1/2 onion, chopped finely
  • 7 baby carrots, chopped finely
  • 3 tablespoons of a Knorrs Vegetable soup packet
  • 1/4 cup white wine
  • 5 tomatoes, chopped
  • 2 bay leaves
  • Salt and pepper to taste
He sauteed the oil, butter, garlic, onion, and carrots to the pan over medium-high heat. These softened slightly (5-10 min) and then he added the soup seasoning and deglazed the pan with the white wine. Next, he added the tomatoes and salt and pepper. Once the tomatoes had cooked slightly - he added the bay leaves and let simmer for about 10-15 more minutes.

I actually cooked the pasta and chicken. The pasta was whole wheat linguini and for the chicken, I used three boneless chicken breasts and dipped them in a beaten egg, then coated them with italian bread crumbs. They were baked in a 400 degree pre-heated oven for about 20-25 mins.

I also shucked the corn from the produce share and boiled them for about 10-15 mins.

Once the pasta was done, I added salt, pepper, a tablespoon of the light, whipped butter, and a spoonful of part-skin ricotta. The pasta was added to the tomato sauce. Then, some crumbles of asiago cheese were sprinkled on...and the baked chicken was sliced on top.This dish was SCRUMPTIOUS. The corn was OK. For some reason it wasnt as sweet as I like. I also had a glass of chardonney with dinner.Dessert was a handful of dark chocolate covered edamame. yum. (there were more than you see in my hand below)Oh and I pulled out the frozen strawberry chobani yogurt and am waiting for it to thaw a little before digging in. Thanks to Fab and Delicious Food for that idea! Italian ice!Good night!

6 comments:

Anonymous September 14, 2008 at 10:29 PM  

Hi Lauren! Thanks for the comment on my blog - I'm excited to read yours :o) Your dinner looks fantastic!

Anonymous September 15, 2008 at 9:04 AM  

Hey Lauren! So excited you are going to try the yogurt as Italian Ice! I really hope you like it!

lauren September 15, 2008 at 4:33 PM  

EatingBender - thanks! So glad you came by!

Foodie - I took it out last night, but then wasnt hungry enough to try it. So I am going to eat it tonight...will let you know!

The Baltimore Babe September 19, 2008 at 8:33 AM  

I LOVE Chobani!

runjen September 22, 2008 at 8:30 PM  

I'm deffy going to try freazing some Chobani. What a splendid idea! Yum!

GroundedFitness October 19, 2008 at 1:55 PM  

ooo that looks delicious!

I STILL havent tried that yogurt yet- its no where to be found. Come on Seattle, get with the program!

Kelly Turner
www.groundedfitness.com

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP