10.26.2008

Weekend Workouts, etc.

First things first, the potluck party last night was so much fun. I think everyone liked the potatoes, although there was a ton leftover because we had too much food! The menu included: turkey chili, pulled pork sandwiches, carrot casserole, Buffalo chicken dip, crab stuffed mushrooms, my potatoes, brownies, and an amazing trifle. I made sure to try and little of everything - ha! And I had one glass of chardonnay, but since I had a 16 miler in the morning, I couldnt get too crazy.

I was shy to take pictures of the food again, but I did get some of my group of good girl friends from high school. It is great to still be in touch with everyone. It is the type of group that even though you dont see each other all the time and we are scattered all over the country - getting back together is never awkward or weird and we just pick back up where we left off! love that!
Here is the nice normal picture - Maggie has a basketball stuffed up her shirt...
just k
idding - she is pregnant and due in a month! exciting stuff. :)

And here is me doing a crazy one, except I am the only one doing it...jokes on me.

OK, actually, Kevin was taking the picture and giving me a hard time, so I made this weird, crazy face at him, for only him to see and he was lucky enough to capture it.

Baltimore Heart Walk Recap (10.25.2008)


A quick explanation of what the walk is all about: Taken straight from their website,
"The event brings the 2008 Start! Baltimore Heart Walk together to raise funds to fight the nation’s No. 1 and No. 3 killers—heart disease and stroke. In addition to the 3 mile walk through Federal Hill Park, the Create Hope, Inspire Change and Celebrate Success villages:

  • Pay tribute to lost loved ones;
  • Honor survivors of heart disease and stroke;
  • Encourage behavior changes in adults and children like increasing physical activity and making heart-healthy choices part of daily life;
  • Highlight the successful fundraising efforts of individuals and companies;
  • Celebrate individuals and companies who have made significant changes to lead a heart-healthy life. "
The weather held off for us on saturday morning and we had a great walk. Kevin, his sister Molly, and I walked the 3 mile course around the inner harbor of baltimore and it felt really good to do this for such a worthy cause! The third bullet up there is the reason I was walking - especially to see behavior changes in children. Making healthy food choices and getting exercise needs to start at a young age, so it becomes part of your life forever.
We are ready to go...molly, oscar and I before the walk.The walk begins...hundreds of people are out there!
Check out the line of people, looping around the harbor...and back up to the start at Federal Hill Park.We did it! Oscar is tired!
16-mile Training Run (10.26.2008)

Today, I did my first long run since the Baltimore Marathon two weeks ago and my last long run before the Harrisburg Marathon on November 9th. I ran along the Bagel to Beer Marathon Course with my dad and his friend Leon. My sister jumped in and joined us for 3 miles since she was doing a 6 mile out and back. Some other of my father's friends jumped in with us from mile 3-12 and Kevin rode along on his bike and dropped aid off for us at certain points of the course.

I woke up and had my whole wheat eggo waffle with PB and honey with half a banana. This is my favorite pre-run meal. It was a perfect morning, weather-wise, and overall, I felt pretty good. We tried to make sure we were doing between 9 and 10 minute miles throughout the run. In the beginning, we did a few miles in the low 9s and then worked our way up as we got farther in mileage. I know that we eventually got up in the 10s towards the end of the run. Since Kevin and I had been training using the galloway method, it was different getting back into no walk breaks, but we did walk after a few of our water stops and it really helped me stretch out my legs. I do enjoy not stopping at much because i feel like the run was over quicker!

I could definitely "feel" my right hamstring, meaning that it was pretty tight. Not sure if I pulled it at some point, but it is definitely letting me know its there. I wouldnt call it pain, but just a nagging feeling, so I will be paying close attention to it during my taper time now!

Getting back from the run, I felt SO thirsty and still do. Its like I cant quench my thirst. Oscar and I took a walk to the park, so he could run around and we are about to go for another walk. He needs the exercise and I need to loosen up my legs - they are tight!

Lunch was a mish mosh of stuff. First, I had some leftover potatoes and carrot casserole. Then I had a bowl of grape nuts, raisins, and skim milk. (finally remembered a picture!)
Then I went and took a 3 hour nap...definitely needed that! Once I woke up, I was starving, so I made a PB, apple and cinnamon wrap on a whole wheat Flat out wrap. I finally found these and they are awesome - so soft and stretchy.here is my wrap, pre-microwave. I heated it up for about 30 secs...then rolled it up and sliced it to make it look pretty.
I am lucky to have gotten this picture because I was so ready to scarf this down!

Off to take Oscar to the park again (he is spoiled) and then make Turkey Chili that I have been meaning to make for 3 days now. My google reader is overflowing - hopefully I can catch up tonight, but might not be until tomorrow. Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

8 comments:

Anonymous October 26, 2008 at 5:33 PM  

mmmmm i am loving that pb & apple wrap - glad you took a pic of it - it's definitely worthy :)

Anonymous October 26, 2008 at 5:36 PM  

YAYYYYY flat outs!
That picture of you being the only goofy one is so, so cute.

Fitnessista October 26, 2008 at 6:21 PM  

what a great walk! and oscar is a trooper :D
i love pb and apple wraps!!
congrats on an amazing long run. enjoy your sunday!

Caitlin October 26, 2008 at 6:22 PM  

That wrap looks aweseome....and your dog is probably spoiled because he is so flippin' cute:) I couldn't resist that face either!

Laura October 26, 2008 at 7:27 PM  

Thanks for the well wishes on my blog! I absolutely love the title of yours, and I also love your pre-run meal... I LOVE waffles, though I try to avoid them as much as possible so I don't overeat :)

I Run for Fun October 26, 2008 at 9:31 PM  

Congrats on the 16-miler! It's so much fun to gorge after a long run. I am a fan of your little snack ideas. The grape nuts and raisins in skim milk...yum!

LizNoVeggieGirl October 27, 2008 at 9:20 AM  

AMAZING recap!!

Unknown October 31, 2008 at 1:26 PM  

Hi Lauren,

Congrats. on the Harrisburg training. I'll be there, too, and Googled to see who else will be. It's a good course, very flat and fast. Small crowds - but you can't beat parking 100 yards from the start!

Good luck!
Marcus

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP