10.31.2008

Happy Spooky Day! (10.31.2008)

Hope everyone has a great halloween and does something mischievous tonight. ;)


First, let me go back to yesterday. I started with a bowl of oats that had too much milk, but once I mixed in some PB - it made it more like peanut butter milky oats, so all was ok.

  • 1/2 c oats
  • too much skim milk
  • almonds (probably too many)
  • raisins
  • spoonful of peanut butter
  • drizzle of maple syrup

At work yesterday, we had a Halloween Bake Sale to benefit the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of MD. Such a great, great cause. I went and supported by buying some baked goods! yum.

First, I bought a plate of these Indian sweet treats because it was the only thing on the table I had never tried before. I think it looks like polenta and the consistency is like polenta also. There is a sweet flavor, but not too sweet. The cashew and raisin on top complimented the flavor well. Anyone know what these things are called? Or where I could find a recipe? Or if they are semi-healthy for you?

My second purchase was a sweet potato pie! A former co-worker used to bring these in and I fell in love with them. So GOOD, and as you can see, I had to try a slice of this one immediately. It was not to sweet and not to savory - juusst right.
Last night, the weather was SO much nicer. Sunny, in the 50s, and not too windy. Perfect running weather. We did another 3 miler and then decided to go out and drink some beer in our running clothes. This is one of the reasons why I love Baltimore - I feel like it is a pretty relaxed place where I can feel completely comfortable and normal sitting in a bar in my sweats and a long sleeve t-shirt. nice!

We went to JDs Smokehouse in Canton square (cant seem to find a website for this place) and they were having a bucket beer special, so we sat at the bar and got a bucket of 5 bud lights for $8. Not too bad, especially when you are used to paying $3 a beer.

We decided to split some appetizers to go with our beer. Chicken and vegetable potstickers and then 10 BBQ wings - 5 Golden BBQ and 5 Sweet Baby Rays BBQ. I had 2 Golden (which is like a honey mustard base) and 1 SBR wing and then half of the potstickers - love these things. oh and fries, did I mention seasoned fries come with the potstickers? Those suckers were good and my ultimate weakness.

We also ordered a Texas Brisket Sandwich that came with swiss and mushrooms on a fresh baguette with au jus on the side. I had a few bites just to try it, but I was stuffed. Definitely an indulge night, but it felt good to do it. Need that sometimes. I was shy about taking pictures (AGAIN).


I had a PB and J sandwich on wheat bread for breakfast, with half a banana and brought a HUGE honeycrisp apple for a snack.

Hope everyone is having a great Halloween day!


I almost forgot to mention how my Acorn Squash turned out the other night! Here is a picture of the deliciousness. See the brown sugar/butter goodness in there? I basically dipped the squash in this sauce before each bite. So heavenly.

Later today, I am going to try uploading my first VIDEO to the blog. It is from last year's Turkey Bowl football game. Kevin threw me a deep pass in the corner for a touchdown. It was very exciting! We are going to try and do a repeat at this year's event!

8 comments:

Erica October 31, 2008 at 11:54 AM  

Sweet baby rays is my favorite bbq sauce! Sounds like a fun night! I hope you have a great halloween!

Fitnessista October 31, 2008 at 12:42 PM  

hope you have a happy halloween!
i have no clue what those indian treats are, but i'm a huge fan of all indian food- the sweet potato pie looks delicious as well! :D
have fun tonight!

LizNoVeggieGirl October 31, 2008 at 12:53 PM  

GREAT cause for the bake sale!!

Looove the pie, big-ass honeycrisp apple, acorn squash (I baked one too!!)... yum!! :0)

Enjoy your Halloween!!

I Run for Fun October 31, 2008 at 1:04 PM  

Lauren, your acorn squash looks amazing. I am pretty sure the Indian sweet you bought is "Rava kesari". It is a South Indian sweet, made of "rava" or semolina, and I believe it is rich in protein, vitamin B and fibre (usually made out of unenriched semolina), so you made the right choice. It does have a good bit of ghee, though...

Here's the recipe...
http://www.grouprecipes.com/47974/durum-wheat-or-rava-kesari.html

It's quite simple to make...the trick is to keep stirring and not letting lumps form in the rava.

Enjoy!

lauren October 31, 2008 at 1:35 PM  

erica/Same as my BF - he loves it!

fitnesssista/I love all indian food too - hope you have a fun night too!

veggiegirl/thanks - u too!

i run for fun/That's definitely it! Awesome - thanks so much for the recipe and all the info!

Bridget October 31, 2008 at 1:38 PM  

Sounds so fun!! The run makes the beer and food okay anyways haha. I love BBQ!! I've actually never had sweet potato pie! I'm guessing its like pumpkin? Have a fun Halloween!

tfh October 31, 2008 at 1:57 PM  

Ooh, sweet potato pie is my favorite! I've made those Indian sweets, although mine looked not so pretty. Just sugary but otherwise not too bad healthwise, I think.

Elizabeth November 1, 2008 at 12:47 AM  

The indian treats look kinda weird. I'm going to India soon so I'm fascinated by Indian food right now. :)

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP