10.20.2008

Today's Recap (10.20.2008)

For the first time EVER, I feel like my morning oatmeal picture was semi-neat and normal looking, so I wanted to share. This was also an amazing, and simple combo:

1/2 c oats
1/2 c skim milk
raisins
almonds
sugar-free maple syrup
spoonful of almond butter
Here is my cute pumpkin I picked up from the farm yesterday - making my oatmeal look more festive.OH - i almost forgot - today, I tried a Nectar Lemon, Vanilla, Cashew bar after seeing it in one of Erin's posts and it was AMAZING. I savored every single bite!! (picture is borrowed from the CLIF website, didnt think they would mind since I am giving kudos to their product!)I picked up a veggie sandwich from Catonsville Gourmet for lunch and it was incredible. Veggie patty with cucumbers, spinach, tomato, sprouts, and a wasabi aioli on wheat toast. Sorry, no picture.

Tonight's run was an 4 mile tempo run! The speed part was completely unexpected! Kevin was on his bike and Oscar was on the leash with me. Oscar didnt want to lose kevin, so he was dragging me for the entire 4 miles. Seriously, I was going faster than ever before, but my legs felts strong, the weather was perfect and afterwards I felt great. It is amazing how I was starting to get comfortable with a pace and then when i change it up, I surprise myself. I guess i need to push myself more often!

Dinner was a delicious combo of grilled chicken with garlic and wine marinade topped with muenster cheese and sauteed zucchini. I also whipped up some pine nut couscous and roasted brussels sprouts. I think I might have perfected the brussels! I drizzled with evoo and balsamic and then roasted for about 20 mins at 450 degrees, stirring once. Hope everyone has a great night!

*Lucy update: My little kitten is hiding behind the desk in the extra bedroom, but I got down on the floor and was putting pieces of food out for her - and she was coming closer and closer to me to eat them! Oscar is very interested and also very scared. He hasnt had the best experiences with cats and is scared to death. I have a feeling that their interactions are going to be better than tv in a few months! :)

18 comments:

Anonymous October 20, 2008 at 8:58 PM  

Love the idea of putting almond butter in the oatmeal.
I heart nectar bars - YUM.
Hope Lucky comes out to play soon.

Shoe Running October 20, 2008 at 10:13 PM  

I tried brussel sprouts for the first time recently...I love it that I can still have some "first times" when I'm 1/4 of the way through my life! I'll definitely try your recipe :) I love vinegary things. But what is evoo?

I've been loving eating squash for the past week. It makes me feel like it is fall even though California doesn't give us a proper fall :)

Your food looks delish!

HangryPants October 20, 2008 at 10:13 PM  

I know what you mean. My morning oats are not photogenic at all.

I had brussels sprouts for dinner, too. Yours look better though. I was too impatient to do anything fun with them.

I Run for Fun October 20, 2008 at 10:56 PM  

I am going to use your oatmeal tips. Thank you! And the brussels sprouts looks gorgeous!

Ha ha...glad you got your tempo run in.

Zesty Cook October 21, 2008 at 8:38 AM  

Great looking food! I have never been a huge fan of brussel sprouts but I may give them another chance...
great post!

zesty

lauren October 21, 2008 at 9:04 AM  

Nicole/ me too! I just want to hold her!

shoe running/ evoo is extra virgin olive oil. They are delish!

hangrypants/ I am the queen of impatient. ha. By cranking up the heat and getting them in first - they were done when everything else was.

irunforfun/ I think that might be the only way i will ever get those tempo runs in! ;)

zesty cook/ definitely give them another try - i had always hated them until recently when I found new/better ways to prepare them!

Erica October 21, 2008 at 10:32 AM  

What kind of dog is oscar? I have an english bulldog and hes not much for running :) I'm glad the new kitty is doing well (even though shes a little shy!!). Dinner looks amazing. How good are roasted brussels??

MacDuff October 21, 2008 at 10:40 AM  

DUDE - the box of wine is coming back. Seriously. It's not your mother's Franzia.

I love love love Brussels sprouts. I made a whole batch of roasted vegetables on Sunday and have been eating them religiously ever since.

Unknown October 21, 2008 at 11:16 AM  

it's amazing how much beautiful weather can affect a run!
the oatmeal looks perfect!!
i still haven't tried fresh brussel spouts, only frozen. yours look especially delicious!
have a great day!

Elizabeth October 21, 2008 at 11:30 AM  

Everything looks delicious. Congrats on the faster run! :)

Bridget October 21, 2008 at 12:27 PM  

Loving the brussel sprouts!! They are so good when they get all carmalized! That dinner in general looks awesome!

Anonymous October 21, 2008 at 1:36 PM  

I've always wanted to take my dog (the skinny one haha) running but I'm afraid I can't keep up with her! I'll have to try oatmeal (isn't it weird that I've never really had it?!) sometime this week. It seems to be a good way to start off the day!

Anonymous October 21, 2008 at 2:55 PM  

Mmm....roasted brussel sprouts look so good. Now that it's geting cold, it's time to roast EVERYTHING! :)

lauren October 21, 2008 at 3:12 PM  

erica/ Oscar is a golden retriever! and that makes me think I need to post another picture soon!

macduff/ yessss - I need to pick up a box asap.

gina/ weather is huge - it makes such a difference for me.

juliet, bridget/ thanks! :)

gingela/ I just recently got into oatmeal, mainly because of seeing others mixing in Peanut Butter and Almond Butter!

Katie/ completely agree!

LizNoVeggieGirl October 21, 2008 at 6:01 PM  

Looooove your breakfast and brussels sprouts :0)

Aww, Lucy ;0)

Anonymous October 21, 2008 at 7:55 PM  

i totally agree that those brussel sprouts look like they reached perfection!

Anonymous October 21, 2008 at 9:58 PM  

Yeah! I'm SO glad you loved that bar! I've had the pomegranate one and it's nowhere near as good. It's not bad, but that lemon one is off the chain.
What a cute pumpkin!

Simple and Divine October 22, 2008 at 4:27 PM  

I'M WITH YOU GIRL, I LEERRRRVE THAT BAR! The perfect marriage of flavaflaves <333

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP