10.14.2008

Tuna Melts (10.14.2008)

Tonight was my first light run outside since the marathon on sunday and while my legs still had some soreness, it felt good to get out there. We probably only did about 2 miles before stopping to do some pushups and situps on the grass. We walked home from there and my legs felt sore, but not that bad. I am starting to feel a little crazy for signing up for this marathon in 4 weeks - ahhh.

For dinner, I made something simple, but very tasty - tuna melts! I am pretty picky with my tuna especially because I dont like to taste the mayonaise, so my tuna is always more dry with lots of mustard. I thought I would share the recipe.

  • 2 cans solid white tuna in water (drained)
  • 6 garlic pickle slices, diced
  • 2 celery stalks, diced
  • 1/2 small onion, diced
  • 2 squirts of light mayonaise (I had this in the fridge and realized it has HFCS - ahh - sorry!)
  • 3-4 T dijon mustard (I used Annie's Organic - picture below)
  • lots of ground black pepper
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 tsp old bay seasoning
  • 2% sharp cheddar cheese
  • english muffins
Here is the mustard that I used - it was spicy and good!
I mixed together the tuna salad while I toasted the english muffins slightly. Then I topped the toasted muffins with the tuna salad and slices of the sharp cheddar cheese and stuck them back into the toaster oven. These were delicious and very filling with lots of crunch from the veggies.I just wish I had some plain greek yogurt to experiment using instead of mayonaise - next time though! Oh and the old bay really gives is a great kick. enjoy!

Hope everyone has a good night!

13 comments:

Anonymous October 14, 2008 at 9:30 PM  

This is brilliant. I've never thought of using Old Bay in a tuna melt. Love it!

Elizabeth October 15, 2008 at 12:51 AM  

I'm not a big tuna fan but the melted cheese on the english muffins looks delicious! :)

Anonymous October 15, 2008 at 7:51 AM  

Your tuna melts sound and look delicious!

Next week at this time you won't feel as crazy about signing up for the marathon. I think you just need a fwe days to unwind and to relax.

EL October 15, 2008 at 9:05 AM  

Have you ever tried olive oil in your tuna? I also hate mayonnaise, so we are heavy on the mustard and then add olive oil for a little fat.

lauren October 15, 2008 at 10:09 AM  

el/ great tip! I will make sure to try the olive oil next time!

RunToTheFinish October 15, 2008 at 11:22 AM  

I just recently tried a recipe that uses chickpeas instead of tuna for basically the same output...it was amazingly good!

Anonymous October 15, 2008 at 12:10 PM  

I love mixing tuna with dijon mustard. And especially dijonnaise, kind of a milder, creamier dijon if you've never tried it. It's a good stand in for mayo! I've never actually tried a tuna melt though. Yours looks sooo good, I'll have to give it a go one of these days.

Anonymous October 15, 2008 at 7:21 PM  

i totally LOVE mixing old bay into my tuna when i use it for sandwiches - it kicks it up a notch! great idea on how to create a tuna melt - i cant wait to try it :)

Caitlin at Healthy Tipping Point October 15, 2008 at 9:08 PM  

its so exciting to hear about your marathon plans! good luck maintaining.

Anonymous October 16, 2008 at 7:59 AM  

I LOVE tuna melts! I was craving them last week and it tasted soooo good! Being that I haven't had once since about age 13! Haha.

lauren October 16, 2008 at 10:58 AM  

amanda/ wow - chickpeas is a great ideas!

lighterportions/ you are right - i bet I could remove the mayo completely and never miss it!

Katie/ I know, right? its like I crave them every now and then. I havent had one in forever either!

Shoe Running October 16, 2008 at 4:57 PM  

Mustard is so great! I like your tuna recipe...definitely going to try it. I hope you get stoked soon about your next marathon :) I bet you'll feel up for it when the time comes.

Caitlin October 18, 2008 at 12:19 PM  

I just found your blog, and I loved going through and reading it! I just started running frequently, so maybe I could learn a few things from you:) Oh- and this recipe looks delicious. Instead of mayo with my tuna, I use dijon too, but another yummy option is aioli (and they have lower fat options).

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP