I have been wanting to make turkey chili since Kevin's friend Frank (who is a chef) brought it to "Turkey Bowl" last year. Turkey bowl is Kevin's yearly event that he plans the weekend before thanksgiving where everyone gets together for a co-ed football game, a potluck, thanksgiving meal, and then a party. This year is the 10th annual. More on that closer to the event!
After researching a few different recipes online, I came up with the recipe below.
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 c red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 c green pepper, chopped
- ground red pepper, about 1 tsp
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 T unsalted butter
- 1 glass white wine
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup water
- few splashes of worcestershire sauce
- 1 and a 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 (1.25 ounce) package chili seasoning mix
- ground cumin, about 1 tsp
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- few squirts of cilantro paste
- dried parsley, few shakes
In the meantime, cook ground turkey until no longer pink and then add chili seasoning and cumin to meat.
Add turkey, beans, cilantro, and parsley to pot and simmer for at least another 15 mins so that all flavors meld together.Top with a spoonful of 0% greek yogurt, shredded sharp cheddar, and green onions. ENJOY!This was my first time making turkey chili and I think it turned out well - it will probably be even better tomorrow. Kevin loved this and said it was the best he ever tasted! :)
Have a great night!