11.23.2008

Pumpkin Bars - BSI Submission

Here is my BSI entry for this week - that is hopefully not too late! Lindsay over at For the Love of Oats picked pumpkin as the secret ingredient and I knew I wanted to try and make some sort of bar. I tried to make these a little healthier - especially after all of the food I ate this weekend!

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients

  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/8 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 cup crushed pineapple
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 can pumpkin puree (15 oz)
  • 1 cup raisins
Maple Glaze
  • 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
  • 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Stir first seven ingredients together. Set aside.
  3. Beat pineapple, sugars, eggs together until smooth. Stir in pumpkin and raisins.
  4. Slowly stir in dry ingredients into pumpkin mixture.
  5. Spray 9x13 pan with PAM and then sprinkle with flour.
  6. Pour mixture into pan and spread evenly.
  7. Bake for 40 mins.
  8. Meanwhile, mix maple syrup with confectioners sugar to make glaze.
  9. Drizzle cooled bars with glaze. ENJOY.
As you can tell from the picture, my glaze was really watery because I added some water to thin it out slightly and it was waaay too much. This was my first attempt using whole wheat flour in baking and I think things turned out pretty good. I could definitely taste the healthiness in these bars. They are good and I wont feel guilty about eating them. But, I have to admit that its not a dessert that I will be dreaming about. :)

Enjoy the rest of your weekend. I plan to do a recap of my FULL weekend tomorrow. I am so exhausted that I can barely see anymore. Goodnight!

15 comments:

Shoe Running November 23, 2008 at 8:58 PM  

My mom just made some pumpkin bread...mmmm I just LOVE pumpkin deserts! Your bars look awesome :)

Erica November 23, 2008 at 9:03 PM  

hmmmm I was just debating making pumpkin bars or bread to bring into work tomorrow! Your baked goods look great. one of your recipes may or may not be being featured next week during blogger week ;)

LizNoVeggieGirl November 23, 2008 at 9:10 PM  

FAAAAABULOUS!!

Enjoy your night!!

Anonymous November 23, 2008 at 9:36 PM  

Great bars! I appreciate healthier version of your recipe :)

I Run for Fun November 23, 2008 at 10:45 PM  

It looks really good. I'm sure it tassted great.

Uma November 23, 2008 at 11:10 PM  

pumpkin bars look so scrumptious. First time here. You have a nice blog!

Anonymous November 23, 2008 at 11:59 PM  

Yum, looks good!

Unknown November 23, 2008 at 11:59 PM  

those pumpkin bars look SO good!
hope you have a great night!

Anonymous November 24, 2008 at 7:34 AM  

These look good. My mom makes pumpkin bars with a cream cheese frosting...so good.

lauren November 24, 2008 at 8:52 AM  

uma/ thanks so much for coming by!!

d10/I think these would be even better with cream cheese frosting!

Erica November 24, 2008 at 9:18 AM  

Hey girl- we didn't live in the good part of MD (where you live) haha. We lived in Southern MD (St. Mary's County). Monetereys is down there!

Erica November 24, 2008 at 9:32 AM  

Ow yah! She should def know about it! There isn't much down there so..haha ;)

Anonymous November 24, 2008 at 10:08 AM  

Love the last minute submission! Yum!

Unknown November 24, 2008 at 3:42 PM  

love these...

you can always try white whole wheat or whole wheat pastry flour instead of regular whole wheat. they're a bit lighter, and my rents don't notice when I throw it in there :)

Nate @ House of Annie December 8, 2008 at 7:36 PM  

Darn, wish I knew about this Blogger Secret Ingredient roundup. I did a pumpkin cheesecake for Thanksgiving.

Thanks for adding us as a friend on Foodbuzz. We welcome you to come visit our site!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP