11.11.2008

My Oven got a Workout Last Night (11.12.2008)

Last night I started out on a nice walk with Oscar to loosen up my legs. I felt fine for awhile, but ended up limping home as my right hamstring was extremely painful each step I took. I guess I went too far on the walk and over did it. I am going to have to spend some time completely laying off it and see how it goes. I looked up information about hamstring pulls/tears on the Internet and it scared me. I hope it is nothing serious.

Dinner last night was baked salmon with fig jam and fresh ground red pepper. I haven't eaten salmon in over a year because the last time I did - I got horrible food poisoning, but I felt I was ready. The combination of the fig jam and red pepper worked well and it created this caramelized crust on top. On the side were some sauteed broccoli with garlic, low-sodium soy sauce, and unsalted peanuts. I am happy to be back eating salmon again!!
After dinner, I roasted up some butternut squash fries for today's lunch, but mine got all mushy, so maybe I left them in the oven too long? Don't get me wrong - they tasted pretty good and have a very sweet flavor to them. I sprayed the pan with PAM, layered the squash and sprinkled with sea salt. Baked them at 425 degrees for 35 min - flipping once.
I also baked up some tofu that had been in the fridge for awhile. After slicing the tofu and pressing between two cloths for about 20 mins to get all the excess water out, I sprayed the pan with PAM and drizzled them with maple syrup. I also seasoned them up with red pepper and black pepper. Baked at 425 for about 40 mins, flipping once. Some got a little burnt because I was busy playing with Lucy and Oscar, so I would probably bake them for less time.
Breakfast this morning was oatmeal:

  • 1/2 c oats
  • 3/4 c skim milk (I really do just eyeball this)
  • 1/2 banana, sliced
  • dried cranberries
  • drizzle of maple syrup
  • spoonful of almond butter (cant get enough of this stuff!)

Does anyone else watch the Biggest Loser? I was SO happy to see that smug look wiped off Vicky's face when Brady was sent home. UGHH - she really makes me mad. Enough about that!

Hope everyone has a great Wednesday!

12 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl November 12, 2008 at 8:59 AM  

Ahh, hope your hamstring feels better soon!!

Broccoli with garlic & peanuts?? Squash?? Beautifully-presented oatmeal?? LOOOOOOVE it :-)

Happy Wednesday!!

Erica November 12, 2008 at 9:02 AM  

Look at your and all your cooking! nice work! The squash looks super good (even if it is mushy!) Hope you have a great one!

Anonymous November 12, 2008 at 9:10 AM  

All that baked food looks great! And your bowl of oatmeal is so pretty :)

Anonymous November 12, 2008 at 9:16 AM  

Way to go on preparing your meals for the week!

The salmon looks AWESOME by the way!

Rose November 12, 2008 at 10:08 AM  

Dinner looks good! Glad your oven got a workout :)

tfh November 12, 2008 at 10:25 AM  

Baked salmon with fig jam sounds and looks awesome. I will have to try it. Sorry about your hamstring-- DON'T read info. on the Internet about injuries as 9 times out of 10 it will make you needlessly freaked out!

Anonymous November 12, 2008 at 11:24 AM  

Hamstring injury-rest. Will probably require 6-weeks of non-running. Get to the gym and crosstrain. See if rower/elliptical/stationary cycle bothers the ham. If not, that keeps some of your cardio while the ham is healing. If all of the above bothers it, got to get on the Schwinn "windjammer"-ugh! Also, a good opportunity to work on strength-just be careful working legs.

Unknown November 12, 2008 at 11:56 AM  

hmm did you spray the squash with nonstick spray??? i usually do before i salt them and bake at 400 for 40 minutes.. sorry they got mushy, but still look incredible.
salmon with fig jam?! oh YUM! the broccoli looks wonderful too!
hope you enjoy your day

Shoe Running November 12, 2008 at 12:07 PM  

That salmon looks sooo delish! Wow :) I was a vegetarian for 12 years and then started eating fish a couple years ago...but I've never learned how to cook it, only getting it at restaurants. That looks so good it makes me want to learn :)

Take care of your hamstring! I'll keep my fingers crossed that it isn't anything serious! Keep on resting :)

MacDuff November 12, 2008 at 12:43 PM  

Heat that hamstring!!! And rest is always good. Remember, you've given it a HUGE workout over the last month. Take some times to rest and let it feel better. You can never go wrong by taking a little time off. Are you near a gym where you can swim? That is generally my cure-all for injuries. Well, unless you're an ultra-competitive swimmer. Then, just relax. Watch Days of Our Lives and eat frozen pizza.

Ali November 12, 2008 at 1:53 PM  

I love The Biggest Loser! I was so happy when her husband got sent home, the only thing better would be if she had gone home.

I wonder if she watches it and thinks how bad she comes across?

I Run for Fun November 12, 2008 at 8:25 PM  

Take it easy for a while. Hope the hamstring gets better...just relax and stretch. Did you ice it?

I must try the broccoli, soy sauce and peanuts. Sounds good.

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP