11.25.2008

On the Road Again...

I am so happy to write that I went for a run last night! It wasn't a long one and I was going very slow, but I got out there and it felt really good. Oscar and I were able to squeeze in a 2 miler before it started to rain.


Starting out, I was worried about my hamstring and definitely favored it a little bit. I could feel some tightness, but there wasn't any pain, so I just made sure not to push it at all. The thing that made me the happiest was that I didn't feel completely out of shape and tired like I thought I would. I guess I didn't lose that much over the 2 weeks!
During my run, I ran by my old personal trainer, who was conducting a boot camp class in the park and it made me want to join up again. I am currently weighing the options of joining back up to a regular gym or doing the personal training gym. There are pros and cons to both. The personal training gym is literally two blocks away. But, I can only do cardio there on the days that I have my appointments - before or after my session. It is also more expensive, but I had great results when I was working out there. With the regular gym - I wouldn't have someone pushing me and it is a few more blocks away, but I could go whenever I wanted, take classes, or swim in the pool. I actually have a 30 day free pass for the regular gym that my company offers and there are locations all over. One close to my house, one close to my work, etc, etc. OK, I think I just made my decision. Merritt - here I come.
This morning's breakfast was "back to the basics" with oatmeal, but I added a few new twists:

  • 1/2 c oatmeal
  • 3/4 c skim milk
  • raisins
  • almonds
  • frozen mangos (thawed)
  • spoonful of chunky peanut butter
  • drizzle of agave nectar
I dug deep in the freezer to find these mangos, but I have to admit that I missed my bananas. The agave nectar was a great sweetener. It was almost like I didnt even taste it, but it somehow made the oatmeal sweeter. I guess it just didnt have the strong flavor of maple syrup.

During my lunch today I am making a trip to Trader Joes to pick up some healthy snacks for the car ride to Cincinnati, OH tomorrow morning. Kevin, his mom, his sister and I are driving there and it should take about 9 hours, so I am going to need a bunch of good stuff. I always find myself extremely snacky on road trips. I am planning to take my laptop, so that I will be able to give updates over the next 3 days!

Tonight after work, I am heading into my dad's gym for a spin class and then some upper body lifting. Cant wait.
Lucy (my kitten) is becoming bolder and braver every day. Last night, she made her way downstairs and was contemplating playing with Oscar. (please excuse the cable wires all over the place. Old house = weird ways to get cable upstairs.)
Oscar likes to shake his stuffed teddy bear around her to try and show her how tough he is.
Watching them interact is better than TV.
Hope everyone has a good day - this is my last day of work before the holiday! yessss. :)

11 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl November 25, 2008 at 10:18 AM  

FABULOUS RUN!!!

Looove frozen mango.

Aww, Oscar & Lucy :-)

Today is my last day of CLASSES before the holiday - hooray for both of us!! :-D

MacDuff November 25, 2008 at 10:32 AM  

Great job on your run! And you're going to love Merritt. They also have a physical therapy thing that you can probably get into also - I went there for a long time and had great results. It's worth the money. Tell yourself that you're going to to go the gym at least one weekend night a month, and just watch how much money you start saving.

Rose November 25, 2008 at 10:53 AM  

Pets are hysterical. Love it!

Erica November 25, 2008 at 11:01 AM  

I love your cat and dog- way too cute. Keep the pictures coming! Glad you got the run in. Can't wait to see what kind of snacks you pick up at TJs!!! Mango is my fav!

Aron November 25, 2008 at 12:05 PM  

have a safe and fun trip!! i have a 9 hour car ride ahead of me tomorrow too... AND i went to TJ's to stock up on snacks!! YUM :)

happy thanksgiving!!

Anonymous November 25, 2008 at 12:20 PM  

Just found your blog through Itzy's Kitchen... I love your kitten!! I have a 1 year old kitten so I remember all about the cautiousness and interactions with my dog. Too cute!

Anonymous November 25, 2008 at 1:11 PM  

Great job on the run!! 2 miles is more than I can do :)

My male dog does the "tough guy" shake too except he's about 20 lbs. and hits himself with the toys! Watching pets interact is better than TV sometimes!

Have a great day!

tfh November 25, 2008 at 1:44 PM  

Hooray for the run! And I'll join the 9 hour road trip club (will be shorter if traffic is good, but it never is). I agree about the animals-- so entertaining!

I Run for Fun November 25, 2008 at 2:57 PM  

Yay! So glad you are back running. Looks like your hamstring is easing up a bit.

Merritt looks great...too bad they don't have them in NJ! I need a gym with a swimming pool, but am too lazy to look for one.

Oscar and Lucy are hilarious! They are so cute together.

Unknown November 25, 2008 at 3:01 PM  

awww, lucy and oscar are too cute!! i need me some pets :)

lauren November 25, 2008 at 8:46 PM  

catherine/ thanks so much for stopping by!!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP