11.03.2008

Maryland Roasted Chicken

Thanks to all for the nice comments about the marathon this weekend. I did something I was trying not to do and checked the weather! I know it is out of my control, but I had to do it. So far, so good. Partly cloudy, high of 58, low of 38. I could handle that.

Tonight's walk with Oscar was in the dark, on the outside of the park. (I grabbed a big honeycrisp apple before I left for the walk to hold me over until dinner) I get freaked out going into the park at night, so we walked down by where the football/soccer field was because they had the lights on and then I was able to let him off to run and chase the ball. Kevin went with a co-worker to a group run in Federal Hill. Every Monday at 6:30pm, a group meets and runs 4-6 miles and then goes back for a 30 min ab workout. It sounds awesome, so I want to try and go after the marathon!

After the walk, I came home and had 2 of the leftover potstickers from last night and then a few (too many) tortilla chips with whole foods black bean dip. This stuff is addicting. For dinner tonight, I made a turkey and swiss cheese melt on whole grain bread using light, whipped butter.Meanwhile, I decided to roast a chicken that I got from the store last week. For 99 cents a pound, I knew it was the perfect time to try this for the first time. Gotta love a deal.

I chopped up a bunch of carrots, onion, celery, and fresh parsley to put in the bottom of my glass baking dish which I had sprayed with PAM. I poured about a cup of water and placed the chicken on top of the veggies. The top of the chicken was seasoned with pepper and old bay and then I stuffed some unsalted butter between the skin and meat. I pressed it around to cover as much of the chicken as possible. (I probably used about 3 Tablespoons)This went into a 400 degree oven for an hour and a half. I made sure to baste this chicken every 20-30 mins or so using the juices from the chicken mixed with the water in the bottom of the pan - it smelled SO GOOD.

The cooking time will vary, but since I happen to have a meat thermometer, I kept checking every 10 mins after the hour and a half were up until it reached 180 degrees internal temperature.Its done! Kevin is planning to use the juices in the bottom of the pan with all the veggies and create a veggie gravy...yum. Dinner tomorrow night will be a good one!Hope everyone has a great night - GO Redskins!

11 comments:

Caitlin November 3, 2008 at 10:42 PM  

Yum! I've been wanting to cook a a whole chicken recently, and your post is going to make me finally do it:)

Elizabeth November 3, 2008 at 11:01 PM  

Neat! It looks like you made a delicious chicken. :)

Anonymous November 3, 2008 at 11:38 PM  

I love roasted chicken :)

Hope you had a wonderful evening!

Anonymous November 4, 2008 at 7:37 AM  

Your roasted chicken looks delicious, especially with all the veggies.

EL November 4, 2008 at 9:16 AM  

If you have any questions about the Federal Hill run, give me a shout, my cousin organizes it.

My favorite way to roast a chicken is to stuff it with lemons, oranges, and garlic. I don't eat meat, but my husband said it was delicious.

lauren November 4, 2008 at 9:19 AM  

el/oh cool! yes, I will be contacting you! and your roasted chicken sounds delicious.

Anonymous November 4, 2008 at 9:41 AM  

Dang what a Chicken! I am IMPRESSED!

LizNoVeggieGirl November 4, 2008 at 10:30 AM  

Redskins lost!! Boo :0(

tfh November 4, 2008 at 10:35 AM  

Ooh, weather sounds like it's going to be marathon-perfect. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Anonymous November 4, 2008 at 10:37 AM  

Sorry I missed the commenting about the marathon in your last post. How exciting! I really hope the weather stays nice for you - and I just know you're going to meet your goals. You rock!

That chicken looks amazing! Like Caitlin, I've never cooked a whole chicken before either - it seems like such a great way to get meals that last all week!

Anonymous November 4, 2008 at 3:12 PM  

YUM!! That roast chicken looks FABULOUS!!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP