12.09.2008

Sushi Celebration (12.08.2008)

Before I get to last night's celebratory dinner, I wanted to share a delicious salad combination I threw together for lunch yesterday. Sounds a little weird, but it worked. Also had a whole wheat bagel toasted with a light babybel cheese on the side.

  • Baby spinach
  • zucchini, chopped
  • hearts of palm, sliced
  • dates, sliced
  • honey roasted almond slices
  • reduced-fat feta
  • Annie's goddess dressing
Yesterday was a big day for my boyfriend because he hit a goal that he had been working towards ALL YEAR at work. It called for a sushi dinner celebration, but first, we had to go to spin class at the gym. Cant get off track yet...after being so consistent last week.

Did 45 mins of an extremely hard spin class with some of the best music ever! Then I did about 10 mins of abs and stretching.

We hadn't had sushi in awhile, so we decided to head to RA Sushi in Harbor East area of Baltimore.

Started off with a glass of pinot grigio and some pork gyoza that I didn't get a picture of because we were starving. You can see the empty, messy plate in the background. I dripped a bunch of the sauce on the plate.
Have to get the edamame...love this stuff.
My new favorite roll of all-time. King Crab Roll. Crab mix, cucumber, avocado rolled & topped with king crab & served with an asian pesto sauce. It was all about the sauce on this one.
Shrimp Tempura Roll. This one had asparagus in it and was good, but not my favorite.
Tootsy Maki Roll. Crab mix, shrimp, and cucumber rolled & topped with crunchy tempura flakes & drizzled with a sweet eel sauce.
We also had one other roll that I swear I took a picture of, but cant seem to find it. Of course I can't remember the name either. Sorry about that, but I do remember the decadent dessert we had. Oh man - this was incredible. A banana, stuffed with chocolate, flash fried - served with green tea ice cream. WHOA. It was fantastic. But wait, the banana and green tea ice cream make it healthy, right? ;)
This morning I woke up with enough time to pack lunches because I needed to use up some of the veggies we had on the verge of going bad. I quickly chopped up zucchini, yellow squash, and red pepper to saute with a little PAM over medium-high heat. Added lots of fresh ground black and red pepper.
Meanwhile, I cooked up the extremely quick pinenut couscous. (NearEast brand) It literally takes 5 mins.
I combined the veggies and couscous, but also added some leftover sliced, grilled chicken and reduced-fat feta cheese.
I am counting down the minutes until lunch and I can enjoy this.
Also had enough time to prepare some quick oatmeal.
  • 1/2 c oats
  • 3/4 c skim milk
  • raisins
  • sliced almonds
  • cinnamon
  • agave nectar
  • sliced banana
  • spoonful of almond butter
Some of you left comments about the Trader Joes almond butter being watery and I agree - it needs salt and is too watery. But now I need to get through this jar before buying another type. Maybe I should use it in a recipe. I think I remember someone out there making a banana/almond butter bread combo, so I now I just have to find it. Or maybe almond butter cookies? I havent baked in weeks.
Anyone have a good recipe using almond butter?
Have a great Tuesday.
**Edited to Add** Please head over to Hangry Pants where Mark and Heather are doing a Food Drive - blogger style. Leave a comment to help support a great idea and a great cause.

RA Sushi Bar Restaurant on Urbanspoon

23 comments:

Erica December 9, 2008 at 9:43 AM  

yayyy for the bf! Tell him we said congrats for meeting the big goal! I wish I liked sushi- it looks beautiful!

Great job on your lunch for today! I would be counting down the minutes too!

Rose December 9, 2008 at 10:07 AM  

That restaurant looks good...must try.

Love how the bananas are encasing your breakfast. Nice display!

K from ksgoodeats December 9, 2008 at 10:25 AM  

CONGRATS TO YOUR BF!!!

Your lunch looks AMAZING! I would be counting down the minutes as well!

tfh December 9, 2008 at 10:58 AM  

Congratulations to your boyfriend-- and lucky you, too-- that sushi looks so delicious. Not to mention fried banana + green tea ice cream is my absolute favorite. Definitely very, very healthy. ;)

Anonymous December 9, 2008 at 11:44 AM  

WOO HOO! Congratulations! That's great news!

LizNoVeggieGirl December 9, 2008 at 12:02 PM  

AMAZING REASON TO CELEBRATE!!!!! Congratulations x100000!!!!! He should be quite proud :-)

**Good recipe for almond-butter:

http://recipes.recipeland.com/recipes/recipe/show/Almond_Butter_2935

Anonymous December 9, 2008 at 12:52 PM  

Yummy sushi celebration, I love sushi and edamame!

that lunch for today is a masterpiece, I'm impressed :)

lauren December 9, 2008 at 1:05 PM  

tfh/sweet! someone agrees with me. ;)

veggiegirl/thank you!! Your comment actually made me realize I had worded my question wrong. ha. I was asking for recipes to use up my almond butter and wrote "...recipes for almond butter" oopsie. I updated it now.

Anonymous December 9, 2008 at 1:15 PM  

Whoa, girl! I can hardly contain my giddiness over here ... so many fabulous eats in this post!! I don't even know where to begin?! Love it all!

Congrats to your BF! Great news!

Have a good day!

Anonymous December 9, 2008 at 3:28 PM  

Wow, great eats for the day! And awesome job at the spin class!

Congratulations to your boyfriend! :)

Anonymous December 9, 2008 at 3:31 PM  

Congratulations to the BF!! That sushi definitely looks like a good way to celebrate. I've wanted to try RA Sushi for a long time because I pass by it all the time when I'm home. I hope to be able to over winter break!

Balance, Joy and Delicias! December 9, 2008 at 3:40 PM  

love sushis!!!!
and your veggie couscous looks delicious too!!

Lori December 9, 2008 at 3:45 PM  

The sushi looks so great! I haven't had any for a while and I'm definitely craving it. Your salad looks interesting. Heart of palm is everywhere where we live in Brazil (called palmito). You can even buy it fresh from the palm at the farmer's market. I'm not a big fan, but the salad sounds great. Yummy oatmeal too!

I'd love to know some almond butter recipes too.

Tina December 9, 2008 at 4:05 PM  

YUM! I've been craving sushi like mad lately! I need my fix soon.

Here's a good almond butter recipe: http://carrotsncake.com/2008/12/guest-blog-kristi-reviews-barney-butter.html I haven't tried it personally, but it looks awesome! I'm going to make them as soon as I get my next stash of Barney Butter!

I Run for Fun December 9, 2008 at 4:06 PM  

Lauren, congratulations to your bf!!!

How's the hamstring? Great job on the spin class!

The sushi looks so good. I love Japanese/Chinese/Thai desserts...they come up with such unusual and creative treats!

I like the chicken satay recipe on this website...scroll down, it's below 'Almond Butter on Game'...

http://www.futtersnutbutters.com/recipe.html

Talking of food is making me so hungry...and I just had lunch!

lauren December 9, 2008 at 4:17 PM  

tina/ thanks - I think that is the one I remember seeing!

irunforfun/ hamstring is pretty good, but i can still feel that it is there, so I am trying to slowly ease back into running. Tonight, I want to try and do at least 3 miles. thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous December 9, 2008 at 8:04 PM  

congrats to your bf - thats awesome!

Bridget December 9, 2008 at 10:01 PM  

That sushi place is my kind of restaurant!!! All your sushi selections sound awesome and that dessert!!! Incredible!

Elizabeth December 10, 2008 at 1:00 AM  

Yum! I am a huge sushi fan. Looks delicious!! You guys are so lucky. :)

Maria December 10, 2008 at 10:39 AM  

I love sushi!! It all looks so good!

HangryPants December 10, 2008 at 12:27 PM  

Thank you soooo much for the link. :D

Congrats to the husband. Celebration dinners are the best.

Heather

Shoe Running December 10, 2008 at 10:50 PM  

Oooo! Yum, yum yum! Sushi is the best!

Congrats to the BF! :)

Anonymous December 11, 2008 at 8:04 AM  

That sushi looks INSANELY good! What resturant is that?? We should TOTALLY go together sometime, mainly b/c I want to eat that yummy looking goodness myself! lol!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP