12.04.2008

Gym Rat (12.04.2008)

This week I have gone to the gym EVERY day so far (Sunday-Thursday)! I really missed having one close by, so I am making up for lost time. And becoming one of those gym rat people.

Last night, I did a light 30 mins on the elliptical, 25 mins upper body lifting, and 5 mins of ab work.

And guess what?! I went to the gym this morning at 5:30am! Ms. Lucy decided it was playtime early, so I woke up and couldn't go back to sleep. I never would have gone had Kevin not said he was leaving in 5 mins if I wanted to go with him. We were waiting outside the gym for them to open the doors with all the other early morning crazies. I couldn't believe I was there and don't expect this to happen often. I tripped and almost fell on my face getting on a treadmill because my eyes weren't fully open yet.

Got in 2 miles on the treadmill (No real hamstring pains to note!) and then 30 mins on the arc trainer. All before 6:30am which is unbelievable...for me.

I really wish I could bring my camera to work with me because I made the best lunch yesterday. Whole Wheat English Muffin, pizza sauce, spinach, and mozzarella baked in the toaster oven. YUM.

Dinner last night was rotisserie flavored turkey tenderloin and asparagus.

For the asparagus, I drizzled a little EVOO in a skillet with some chopped garlic before adding the asparagus spears. After about 5 mins on medium-high heat, I gave the spears a quick wine shower. Once the wine cooked off, I seasoned them with course sea salt, ground black pepper, lemon juice, and Parmesan cheese. Pretty tasty, if I do say so myself.

This morning, Kevin whipped up a protein shake with vanilla whey protein powder, mixed berries, and soy milk that was sweet and creamy. I also toasted a cinnamon crumpet which I topped with the last remnants of PB and some agave nectar.

I felt hungry immediately when I got to work, so I ate what's left of the roasted plantain chips from Trader Joes. This entire week I kept going back for handful after handful. I cant be trusted with these things, so I am glad the bag is finally gone.

*Emergency alert* - I am all out of bananas and nut butter. This calls for a lunchtime run to Trader Joes.

Enjoy your day!

24 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl December 4, 2008 at 10:18 AM  

I'm a gym rat, haha ;-)

NO BANANAS OR NUT-BUTTER????? I'D BE DEAD RIGHT NOW, LITERALLY!!!

Get yourself to TJ's, stat!! :-)

Anonymous December 4, 2008 at 10:33 AM  

I freak if I don't have those two in the house! Good job on the gym I would be so prouuud of myself, buut I don't see it happening in the near future :D

Erica December 4, 2008 at 10:39 AM  

Good for you for making it to the gym this am! You are having an incredibly healthy week! Your dinner looks fabulous! Makes me miss asparagus! Have at your trip to the store!

Anonymous December 4, 2008 at 10:54 AM  

Oh girl! You are a workout queen and inspiration to all! Good job :)

K from ksgoodeats December 4, 2008 at 11:00 AM  

What a great start to your day!

Have fun on your TJs trip - I always find reasons to go to the grocery store and those are two dire needs :)

lauren December 4, 2008 at 11:28 AM  

veggiegirl/on my way - right now!

carolinebee/thanks and believe me - this is rare in my world!

erica/I know, right? dont worry - it is in preparation for an unhealthy weekend! :)

erin/haha - yeah right!!

Lori December 4, 2008 at 11:34 AM  

I am such a gym rat. I love the outdoors for hikes and all that, but when it comes to regular workouts the gym motivates me.

I can stay on a cardio machine or take a class for much longer than I stay focused on walking or running outdoors. Maybe it is the combination of sensory overload with the tv, my ipod and a magazine! It keeps me distracted.

Rose December 4, 2008 at 11:42 AM  

Out of bananas? That's a tragedy in my book.

I am hoping to steal some of your gym-rat-ness for myself. I plan on going after work today.

Anonymous December 4, 2008 at 12:27 PM  

Great job getting to the gym every day! Your dinner looks wonderful.

Unknown December 4, 2008 at 12:56 PM  

yay for early morning gym sessions! Love 'em!

No bananas OR nut butter?!?! Trader Joe's ASAP!

tfh December 4, 2008 at 1:27 PM  

Now, if you manage a trip to TJ's and ONLY get nut butter and bananas, you deserve an award...

Anonymous December 4, 2008 at 1:33 PM  

Woo Hoo for makin git to the gym @ 5:40!

lauren December 4, 2008 at 2:31 PM  

Lori/good point - I love the outdoors too, but in the winter the gym is a great motivator. It is easier to stay on the machines longer!

rose/steal away...while it lasts! ;)

tfh/you are a smart cookie. TJs is waaay too tempting to just leave with bananas and nut butter. i got some new stuff i will show off later! :)

MacDuff December 4, 2008 at 2:47 PM  

The early bird always gets the best treadmill!!! Good for you. That has to make your day feel so good.

I had a weird experience with asparagus over the spring, and now I can't eat it. It used to be my favorite vegetable, and now, all I have to do is smell it and I become revolted. It was so weird, so sad.

Balance, Joy and Delicias! December 4, 2008 at 5:20 PM  

woooooooo......5.30am at the gym!!!!! that's great! So you can enjoy the rest of day without worrying where you can fit your gym time.
right now, I'm wondering what to do (go to the gym or do yoga at home).

so restaurant type dinner that you had!

GroundedFitness December 4, 2008 at 6:01 PM  

you're trying to make me feel bad, right? cause i havent been ot the gym in 6 DAYS! too sick. bleh. good for you!!

Kelly Turner
www.groundedfitness.com

Anonymous December 4, 2008 at 8:13 PM  

nice job on all the work outs.

I Run for Fun December 4, 2008 at 11:05 PM  

How you manage to whip up such tasty food with such a tight work and workout schedule, I cannot imagine! Hats of to you. The asparagus looks really good. I never know how much time to cook them and they always turn out either raw or overcooked!

I'm impressed with your gym schedule. 5:30 am??? I am so excited to get started.

Elizabeth December 4, 2008 at 11:21 PM  

Hm. What is an arc trainer? Do you like it?

I Run for Fun December 5, 2008 at 12:04 AM  

Lauren, I am so excited you are doing the Long Branch 1/2. We should meet up. I will hopefully be able to start training soon, but if I can't do the marathon, I will definitely do the half.

Anonymous December 5, 2008 at 8:29 AM  

I love your idea of cooking the asparagus with garlic and a quick "wine shower." That sounds SO good. I've never visited your blog before. Glad I found you. We have a lot in common! Exercise and healthy food.
In good health,
Melissa

lauren December 5, 2008 at 9:04 AM  

macduff/that's right! what happened with the asparagus?

groundedfitness/ha...no way! this is so rare for me, I have to talk about it! ;)

i runforfun/I guess for me - it is about having things that are quick. for example the meat was already marinated and I just had to pop it in the oven. then all I really worked on was the asparagus. and yes - we should definitely meet up in NJ!

juliet/i guess it is similar to the elliptical, but check out this forum for some opinions and links: http://forums.runnersworld.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/915106038/m/988108748

glutenfreeforgood/so glad you came by!

Anonymous December 5, 2008 at 3:41 PM  

Where do you live? Can I hire you to be my trainer? Srsly.

lauren December 7, 2008 at 5:07 PM  

yourgirlfriendisugly/ ha. yeah right - we shall see how long I keep this up.

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP