12.10.2008

Running & Raspberries (12.10.2008)

Yesterday was exactly a month since the Harrisburg Marathon. I vowed to myself that I was going to run 4 miles on the treadmill at a 10 min mile pace. I have run since the marathon, but it has been at a VERY easy pace because I didn't want to hurt myself anymore than I already had.


When I first started, my hamstring felt tight - like I couldn't do a normal stride because it may snap. (yes, I tend to just hop on the treadmill and start running.) But this time I slowed it up and walked for a few mins to warm up properly. After my warm up, I picked it up to 10 min miles and felt good. Good meaning my hamstring was looser and my breathing felt normal.

This went on for about 1.5 miles. Then I started to feel some twinges in my hamstring, so I brought my "speed" down a few notches. Kevin came up to me and I ranted for a few minutes how I am so frustrated because I want to run normally but my hamstring is holding me back. Even though I have been getting in some good workouts at the gym doing other things - I miss running. Did I just say that?

But really, running makes me sweat the most and breathe the hardest. So, I decided to push through it and finish my run. It definitely isnt the smartest thing to push through pain, but I had to try.

I eventually got through the hamstring twinges and felt ok. I was going a smidge slower than 10 min mile pace, but I ended up running 4.25 miles and then walking to cool down. I decided it wasn't a stupid idea to push through because the last mile or so I felt fine. No twinges to note and maybe I needed to just loosen it up a bit. Total treadmill miles: 4.5

I have to admit that sometimes while I am driving or sitting at my desk, my hamstring will start to throb like it wants to let me know it is still there. I always tell Mr. Hamstring to go away. It has actually been doing it the whole time I am typing this post, so maybe it is all in my head?

Anyways, I finished up my gym time with some arm and chest lifting. Then, I did a bunch of stretching.
Dinner was pretty boring: fish and roasted brussels...again, so no pic. But I did take a picture of my dessert. A spoonful of almond butter w/ fresh raspberries. Like PB&J without the bread.
And another few handfuls of raspberries because they were so ripe and delicious. Please excuse the almond butter on my finger. I definitely didnt put that directly in the jar ;)
My meals have been pretty boring lately, so tonight, I am cooking up a recipe out of my Top Chef Cookbook to try and be more exciting. See you later!

20 comments:

K from ksgoodeats December 10, 2008 at 12:35 PM  

I love your no nonsense PBJ!

Have a fab Wednesday!

Erica December 10, 2008 at 12:39 PM  

I wish your hamstring would stop being so annoying! Maybe its worth going to get it checked out?

That almond butter/raspberry spoon full looks just awesome! mmm

Can't wait to see what you make tonight. I can't wait for another episode of top chef!

Anonymous December 10, 2008 at 12:40 PM  

I can't believe the marathon was 4 weeks ago already. Hope the hamstring feels better. Are you stretching? For me and this may not make sense, sometimes stretching aggravates my muscles more. After a few days of not stretching the specific muscle, I feel better.

Aron December 10, 2008 at 12:52 PM  

great job on the t-mill!!! i hope the hamstring feels better soon!

yummm i love raspberries :)

LizNoVeggieGirl December 10, 2008 at 12:54 PM  

FABULOUS run - take care of that hamstring though!!

RASPBERRIES!! Yum.

TOP CHEF!!! It's on tonight... I'm stoked.

RunToTheFinish December 10, 2008 at 2:01 PM  

oh mine were so tight last weekend it was awful! I'm trying to stretch a lot and see if it gets better

tfh December 10, 2008 at 2:23 PM  

I'm with Erica...can you go see a doctor re: the hamstring? Hopefully you ARE just imagining the twinges and the doc will confirm you're fine, but I'm guessing you're tougher than that!

Also, those raspberries look so fresh. AND it is always safer to use your (relatively small) finger on a jar of nut butter over the (relatively larger) spoon!

EL December 10, 2008 at 2:39 PM  

I was struggling with my hamstring since September when I started running again. My friend who is a physical therapist said it was Piriformis Syndrome and that I needed to stretch. I started stretching every morning and night and it has gotten better. I also found doing lower back extensions and deadlifts helped too. I can finally sit for an extended period without being in pain. Oh and once a week I have my husband massage my upper thigh, he said he could actually feel a knot in my leg.

lauren December 10, 2008 at 2:56 PM  

erica/my hamstring is SO annoying! :) and it may be time to get it checked out...

d10/I am not stretching very often, actually I barely stretch out at all. hmm.

tfh/ha - if it goes on much longer, i may set up an appt...

EL/this is very interesting. I just googled it and it really does sound like it could be it. I am going to try stretching and more back/core strength training (which I lack) and see what happens. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Anonymous December 10, 2008 at 4:03 PM  

I'm sorry about your hamstring, but you are being really smart by taking it easy. Just give it time and the running will come back.

Anonymous December 10, 2008 at 7:25 PM  

yay for cranking out 4.5 miles!

hope your hamstring feels better :/

Anonymous December 10, 2008 at 8:16 PM  

THat's kind of scary! What do you think about going to have it looked at? What if it's serious?

Balance, Joy and Delicias! December 10, 2008 at 9:07 PM  

hope your hamstring feels better soon! I can imagine how hard is this for someone who enjoys running.

Dessert looks delicious~~~~

Anonymous December 10, 2008 at 9:21 PM  

Nice job on the run.

Shoe Running December 10, 2008 at 10:53 PM  

I hope the hamstring gets to be all better! Keep it up with warming up...that's important :)

I had some raspberries that were out of this world a couple days ago..only $1 for a carton of them too!

Elizabeth December 10, 2008 at 11:03 PM  

Do you like your top chef cookbook? They've been showing it a lot on the show :) Ps, a 10 minute mile is a VERY slow pace? I'd kill to run a ten minute mile!! I'm at an 11 or 12 minute mile (depending on how many I'm running) :)

Anonymous December 11, 2008 at 8:03 AM  

Oh, those raspberries look FANTASTIC!!

I Run for Fun December 11, 2008 at 11:29 AM  

Sorry about the hamstring, Lauren. Looks like the warm up helped a bit...maybe just warm up more and stretch a little before running?

I agree with you on how injuries are partly in your head. I am still struggling with when to take things easy and when to push through the pain!

Anonymous December 11, 2008 at 3:49 PM  

How you feel today after running on the t-mill is crucial. Is your hamstring sorer than before? Or, does it feel the same? Or, could it feel better? Soft tissue injury that isn't real severe-6 weeks. You can try to "push" that a bit but listen to what your hammie is saying the day after.

Fitnessista December 11, 2008 at 6:26 PM  

almond butter and raspberries? GENIUS
hope your hammy heals soon!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP