12.16.2008

Cookies for Breakfast (12.16.2008)

It has been a busy few days. I promise I am going to do a product review post next because I am waaay behind on those!

SUNDAY Recap

Sunday morning, I woke up and whipped up some snicker doodle cookie dough for making Christmas cookies later at my parent's house. I substituted whole wheat pastry flour, but everything else stayed the same. I googled a recipe quickly in the morning and now I cant seem to locate it.

There was supposed to be a group of people running from my parent's house starting at 11am, but alot of people bailed last minute. My dad, myself, and my friend Katherine still did it because we are hardcore. ;)

Katherine and I decided to do the 5 mile loop while my dad was going for 15 miles. He tried to talk us into coming with him, but there was NO way that was happening. 5 miles, at an easy pace felt good to me - it was nice to be on country roads with fresh air for a change. My hamstring felt a little tight by the end, but not any real pain. Making progress!

After the run, cookie making began. My job was to help my mom monitor the oven and move cookies from the cooling racks to the tins. My grandmother and sister took care of rolling out the dough, while my niece and nephew decorated.
I just noticed my grandmom's apron - nice!
Cookie decorating is serious stuff. There was time for a quick lunch. My mom was trying an italian herb flat-out wrap for the first time.We do the thin/crispy type sugar cookies, but use lots of different variations on the dough. Grandmom made the regular sugar cookie dough, my sister used a cream cheese based dough, and my mom made a brown sugar cookie dough. Here are my whole-wheat snicker doodles.
Sunday night, I met up with my friends from college for our secret santa gift exchange. We met at PF Changs and there were lettuce wraps, steamed shrimp gyoza, and chicken w/ broccoli and brown rice. Oh and cute shot glass size desserts. I completely slacked on the photos.

I have to give quick props to my BF because while I was out and about all day Sunday, he planned the entire week's worth of meals (breakfast, snacks, lunches and dinners), went grocery shopping and then prepped everything on sunday night. I was impressed and he gets credit for anything I eat this week!

MONDAY Recap

Yesterday's eats included ALOT of veggies and proteins (thanks to Kevin) and a few too many cookies (thanks to me). I only managed to snap photos of dinner, which was very tasty. I cleaned my plate of marinated, broiled steak, Cauliflower Mash, and Stuffed Mushrooms (I made these).
yum. yum. The stuffed mushrooms were extremely easy, so I will definitely make them again. Recipe below...
Spinach Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms (for
two)
  • 2 large portabella caps, rinsed
  • 2 1/2 cups baby spinach
  • 1/4 c onion, finely chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 4 small slices monterey jack cheese
  • sprinkle of grated parmesan
  • salt and pepper to taste
Saute onion and garlic in the EVOO for about 3 mins over medium heat. Add portabella mushroom caps to skillet to cook a few minutes on both sides.
Remove the caps and stick in toaster oven (350 degrees) to continue cooking. Meanwhile, add two huge handfuls of baby spinach to the skillet and cooked until wilted, adding a little salt and pepper. Top each mushroom cap with the spinach/onion/garlic mixture and add sliced monterey jack cheese and a few sprinkles of parmesan. Push the caps back into the toaster until the cheese is nice and bubbly.
I took the Monday night spin class and it was tough, which is just the way I like it. I, of course, watched the HILLS and all I have to say is, Spencer is evil.

Today, I brought my tin of cookies to work because I can not be trusted with them at home. I put them out with a note to all that said "Cookies are great for breakfast - please help yourself!"

I left them out at 8am - they were all gone by 9am. Mission accomplished.

22 comments:

Rose December 16, 2008 at 12:50 PM  

I do the SAME thing with baked goods. I like just having one or two, and I also like the process of baking.. but you can't ever make just one, so work is the best place!

Anonymous December 16, 2008 at 12:51 PM  

Yum that broiled steak looks so good, as does the stuffed mushroom. Thanks for the recipe!

Glad you had a nice spin class-filled Monday night, and Spencer IS evil!

Anonymous December 16, 2008 at 12:52 PM  

Whole wheat snickerdoodles sound amazing! I'll have to google that for a party i'm having this weekend! WOW your dad is awesome, 15 miles is crazy in my book :D AND i totally love stuffed mushrooms, esp the little bite sized ones.

LizNoVeggieGirl December 16, 2008 at 12:54 PM  

Hooray for cookie-baking galore!! :-)

Oh, 'The Hills' - Spencer is BEYOND ridiculous and evil.

Anonymous December 16, 2008 at 1:08 PM  

Mmm cookies! Looks like a lot of fun - I love your grandmom's apron! And the note to your co-workers is awesome :o) I'm sure they appreciated it! As evidenced by the fact that they were gone so quickly!

K from ksgoodeats December 16, 2008 at 1:28 PM  

Snickerdoodles are one of my all time favorites! How fun your whole family gets together like that to bake!!

Thanks for the mushroom recipe - it sounds amazing! Ew - I can't stand Spencer plus his beard freaks me out, why is it white?!

Erica December 16, 2008 at 1:53 PM  

I bring the baked goods I don't want to eat into work too :) They seem to fly right off the plate- don't they?

All that cookie baking looks like so much fun! I can't wait for Christmas and visiting family!!

Have a good day ;)

tfh December 16, 2008 at 2:00 PM  

Wow, that is some serious cookie baking! I like the taste of whole wheat flour in cookies-- makes them somewhat denser, I think. Nice self control on bringing your cookies to work (or rather, nice job averting your lack of self control!).

MacDuff December 16, 2008 at 2:00 PM  

Just thinking about Spencer puts me in a rage. I watch The City just to get away from him.

I do stuffed mushrooms all the time, and I use tomatoes, feta, and basil (or arugula). It's one of my favorite dinners.

Unknown December 16, 2008 at 2:25 PM  

those stuffed mushrooms look fantastic!!

i brought in cookies for work, but had 3 at lunch... oops :) at least there are none at home!

glad the run went well, it's so hard to work back after an injury, but sounds like you're doing it right, let yourself heal otherwise it'll make it worse!!

Aggie December 16, 2008 at 2:27 PM  

Hi! First time here and am loving your blog! Love those stuffed mushrooms...I've been wanting make something similar for a while...your look great! That whole dinner looks great!

Love all the variations on your cookies too!

Thanks for visiting my blog! ;)

lauren December 16, 2008 at 2:55 PM  

toni jo/ thanks so much!

K/ I know! Does he dye it? or maybe it is the evil growing out of his head.

erica/ totally - as soon as word spreads - everything is gone!

tfh/exactly!

macduff/ your stuffing for the mushrooms sounds good - I will have to try that.

Aggie/ thanks for coming by! :)

Every Gym's Nightmare December 16, 2008 at 4:10 PM  

wow- what a baking marathon! i LOVE making christmas cookies. and eating them- which means they are dangerous.

Kelly Turner
www.everygymsnightmare.com

Anonymous December 16, 2008 at 4:17 PM  

OMG Cookie heaven! Those look great!

Good call on only running the 5 miles. :) I don't want your doing anymore damage to your hamstring, nice and easy is a good thing.

mara December 16, 2008 at 4:24 PM  

who is kevin trying to fool?!! ha ha. impressive

Anonymous December 16, 2008 at 5:01 PM  

Hahaha! They only lasted an hour?! That's amazing!
How sweet of your BF I'm glad you took it easy on the run. Your mom is cute.

Anonymous December 16, 2008 at 7:32 PM  

I really like how you all make variations of the cookies. I started my baking today and will continue till the end of the week.

Balance, Joy and Delicias! December 16, 2008 at 9:00 PM  

it's so fun to bake tons of cookies! And great satisfaction when you see them disappear sooner than you expected!

Anonymous December 16, 2008 at 9:14 PM  

Cookie baking with the fam is awesome

HangryPants December 16, 2008 at 10:30 PM  

Whole wheat scnickerdoodles!

Thanks for sharing the baking process with us. I love things like that.

Anonymous December 17, 2008 at 8:00 AM  

Sounds like you had a great time baking cookies with your family! So fun!!

Bridget December 18, 2008 at 8:29 AM  

Yummmmmm Snickerdoodles!!!! I LOVE those things! Looks like a great bonding time at the cookie stations :)

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP