12.05.2008

Competition is Fun (11.05.2008)

Yesterday during my lunch break I meandered over to Trader Joes to pick up much needed nut butter and bananas. I grabbed the raw, unsalted almond butter and realized this isn't my usual stuff. I am probably going to be adding some salt for my taste when I use it. Mission accomplished and that is all I bought!
Of course that is a BIG, fat lie because it isn't possible to go into that store and not find something that you just have to have, but don't really need. They were giving samples of this new product: Spinach, Lentil and Garlic soup (Palak Dal Shorba) and serving it with naan. It was great, so I bought a package of each variety they had, along with some whole wheat naan. These are going to be perfect for my lunches.

Picked up some coconut date rolls because they looked interesting. They are a little drier than I thought they would be, but had good overall flavor.
I really needed (wanted) some whole wheat bagels and this cool looking dude was on the package, so it made me curious. You can read about Mr. Spinoza here. Let me just say - these are the best whole wheat bagels I have found yet. Chewy and great toasted with almond butter and chocolate chips!
Last night, Kevin and I played racquetball. I had so much fun and haven't laughed that hard in a long time. I don't think I have ever played a real game, so after practicing for awhile and learning the rules...we were off. Best 2 out of 3 wins and decides what we do for dinner. I win - I wanted to go out for sushi. He wins - he wanted me to make him dinner.

In all the games we have played so far that involve a racket/paddle and ball (tennis and ping pong) - I won. And I love beating him. Especially because we are both SO competitive in all things sport-related. Oh and it is really fun to rub it in that he just got beat by a GIRL. ;)

First game, he goes up 11-2. I start getting cranky. He lets up and isn't hitting it as hard. I get even angrier that he isn't playing his hardest. He starts playing harder and I start coming back. Highlight of the game: The ball hits kevin in the back of his head. Delay of game as I laughed for 5 mins straight. Game 1 Score. Kevin: 21, Me: 16. SO CLOSE.

Second game, he goes up 10-3 and gets cocky. I start coming back and can see he is scuurrred. Then his serve gets me 5 times in a row. Damn those angles! Highlight of the game: Me hitting a "finesse" short shot and him sprinting to try and get it, but he slams into the wall and I get the point. Game 2 Score, Kevin: 21, Me: 14.

I blame my losses on the fact that I wasn't as quick and agile due to my still healing hamstring. :)

Dinner was steamed chicken/vegetable dumplings and lettuce wraps (the easy, frozen kind). No picture because my camera battery needed charging.

Anyone have big plans for the weekend?! I have a busy weekend ahead, starting with a dinner out tonight in DC for my friend Erica's 30th birthday!

Happy Friday everyone.

20 comments:

Erica December 5, 2008 at 11:19 AM  

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm all of your buys from TJ's look so good! I want to try those dates!

Fun plans for the weekend- dinner tonight with Josh, my dad, aunt/uncle. Rest of the weekend??

Tina December 5, 2008 at 11:42 AM  

I've had those Coconut Date Rolls! SO DELICIOUS! I think I ate them all within 3 days or so!

Lori December 5, 2008 at 12:20 PM  

I've got to bite the bullet and invest in some Almond Butter. If only there were a Trader Joe's near me. I love that store!

Doing the Arthritis Foundation's Jingle Bell Walk tomorrow. Fun, but it's gonna be cold. Brrr!

K from ksgoodeats December 5, 2008 at 12:23 PM  

What a delicious TJs trip!!

I just laughed out loud at the racquetball incident! Get him next time, girl!

LizNoVeggieGirl December 5, 2008 at 12:42 PM  

Bananas + almond-butter + coconut-date rolls + spinach, lentil & garlic soup = faaaabulous TJ's purchases!!

You'll win next time, no worries!! :-)

**Weekend plans = tons of schoolwork, personal-training (maybe... if I can GET WELL!! Blah, I hate being ill).

Hope you have a lovely Friday/weekend!!

Aron December 5, 2008 at 12:44 PM  

just running a marathon :) hehe

i LOVE trader joes :)

Balance, Joy and Delicias! December 5, 2008 at 1:08 PM  

Tj's is the best!!! You always find new products and they're all delicious!!!
I'm looking forward to read your reviews of those soups.

Enjoy your night with your friend! ^_^

Anonymous December 5, 2008 at 1:26 PM  

What a fun night. Great job on the wins. I would wouldn't have been able to stop laughing if Matt got hit in the head either.

Have a great weekend.

tfh December 5, 2008 at 1:46 PM  

I have to salt that almond butter too. Love your "Mission accomplished and that is all I bought!" ;) Have a great weekend.

Anonymous December 5, 2008 at 1:50 PM  

I have to ignore all the TJ's stuff or I'll get clinically depressed!
I love that you played raquetball! I want to see pics of you in the goggles!

lauren December 5, 2008 at 2:17 PM  

erica/have a great dinner tonight

tina/I am on the same path.

lori/have fun on the walk and bundle up.

k/you know it! I want to try and play every week now. i will get him eventually.

veggiegirl/get well soon!

aron/ GOOD LUCK - GOOD LUCK!

d10/I am still laughing every time I think about it.

tfh/i was trying to trick you for a second! ;)

erin/we live dangerously, no goggles. ha. Plus the fact that I only have ski or swimming goggles. now that would be a picture.

Anonymous December 5, 2008 at 2:20 PM  

Great finds at TJ's!

Awesome racketball skills, girl!

I love to play any game with Devin - we are both super competitive, but we always have fun. The only problem is that we have to play until he can end on a win. Ah, boys ...

Anonymous December 5, 2008 at 3:13 PM  

Mmmmm... bananas and almond butter are my fave. Have a great weekend! I'll be stuck in the kitchen baking. :)

GroundedFitness December 5, 2008 at 6:15 PM  

aw no fair! I wanna play raquet ball- sounds like so much fun! I cant really get my BF to do anything active so take advantage!

Kelly Turner
www.groundedfitness.com

I Run for Fun December 6, 2008 at 9:55 AM  

Those date rolls look so good! So does the naan and curries.

Racquet ball sounds like fun.

Weekend plans? Shopping and packing for our trip...not fun, but I will be thinking of our vacation all the time!!!

Fitnessista December 6, 2008 at 11:57 AM  

good to know about the bagels-- i'll have to pick some up! that almond butter is delicious but the last jar i bought was very liquidy...
i've been wanting to try the date rolls- might have to do it :D
hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend!

RunToTheFinish December 6, 2008 at 1:58 PM  

Oh how I wish we had trader joe's!! It's such a great store. I love playing tennis with my hubs it's pretty ridiculous since neitehr of us knows what we are doing.

HangryPants December 7, 2008 at 7:51 AM  

I liked the flavor of that almond butter, but found it v. liquidy.

Let us know about the soup!

Neese December 7, 2008 at 9:51 AM  

it's hard for me to stop at the essentials when I'm shopping at a place like that, too many cool and tempting items!

Anonymous December 7, 2008 at 3:10 PM  

It is really hard to stick to a list at TJS

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP