12.02.2008

Hot Slaw (12.02.2008)

I was too busy watching the Biggest Loser and the Real Housewives of Orange County last night to post about my eats, so here is a recap of yesterday. Oh and I reeally hope Vicky goes home next week!!! I want Michelle to win.

Yesterday morning, I had my standard oats.

  • 1/2 c oatmeal
  • skim milk (I honestly don't measure this, so just use enough)
  • raisins
  • almonds
  • 1/2 banana, sliced
  • spoonful of PB
  • a drizzle of agave nectar
I have come to the conclusion that I am obsessed with almond butter (like you didn't already know) and the regular stuff just wont cut it anymore. (need to pick up more almond butter asap)

Mid-morning snack was a trader joe's fruit & nut bar. I love these things. They are a little sticky, but have big chunks of peanuts and taste great. I am not going to say that I like them better than larabars, but they are above alot of the larabar flavors on my favorite bar list. Since my TJs doesn't sell coconut creme pie larabars - these are a better option when shopping there.
Lunch was turkey and cheese on Arnold's whole wheat protein bread. This bread is a new favorite. Believe it or not, I also munched on some carrots....plain. That was hard for me, but I did it and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Later in the afternoon, I tried a new yogurt - Peach Stonyfield Farms. I mixed in some GoLean Kashi crunch and I don't know how I ever ate yogurt by itself before - I need the crunch in there now.

I came home from work and was STARVING, so I toasted a cinnamon crumpet with some peanut butter to fuel me through my workout.

I planned to run an hour on the treadmill, but after taking Oscar for his nightly walk in the park - I could "feel" my hamstring, so I decided not to push it. I guess the intense spin workout from the night before made my hamstring a little sore. Will this thing ever go away?

I did an hour on the Arc Trainer while watching Access Hollywood and ET. The time flew by, I caught up on the "important" news and felt like I got a good workout in.

Dinner last night was an old favorite that I hadn't made in awhile. I will call it "Hot Slaw". I know my mom made this a few times, but I don't know if it is an original or where the recipe came from. Here is my version though:

Hot Slaw
  • 1 package turkey bacon
  • 1 head cabbage, chopped
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • Pam Cooking Spray
  • Ground Black Pepper
  • Ground Red Pepper
  • Salt
Cook turkey bacon according to directions. Set aside on paper towel and blot excess grease. Using the same pan, lightly spray with PAM. Add onions and saute for about 5 mins over medium-high heat.

Add cabbage to the pan and mix together with onions. Cover saute pan and steam for about 10 mins. (You may have to do this in batches depending on the size of your pan. The cabbage seems like it will make a ton, but cooks waaay down.)

Stir frequently over medium-high heat for total of 20-25 mins. (Alter the cooking time depending on how much crunch you like in your cabbage.) Make sure to season with lots of black and red pepper while cooking. Chop the cooked turkey bacon and add to cabbage/onion mixture before serving. Add salt to taste. ENJOY.

Very simple and extremely tasty. I also microwaved a sweet potato to have on the side with some brown sugar and cinnamon, but the potato was overcooked and took on the consistency of a piece of wood - oh well.

Dessert was a pudding pie with two dates on top. I agree with Arielle on this one - they look like roaches, but do taste delicious!

I leave you with some more animal action shots - Oscar licking his chops about to attack Lucy. just kidding.
And again, my ferocious pup showing Lucy how tough he his with the lacrosse ball. I need to take a video of this action soon.
It's Wednesday! Happy Hump Day!

8 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl December 3, 2008 at 10:35 AM  

Real Housewives of Orange County = guilty pleasure of mine, for sure.

I too am obsessed with almond-butter; and hazelnut-butter, pumpkin-seed-butter, sunflower-seed-butter....

Pudding pie with dates = sensational dessert!!

Love the photos of Lucy & Oscar (as always)!! So fun about the lacrosse ball :-D

Happy Wednesday, Lauren!!

Erica December 3, 2008 at 10:53 AM  

the hot slaw looks great! I am with Veggie girl! I can't get enough of RH of OC! I'm so glad the ladies from the OC are back!

I Run for Fun December 3, 2008 at 10:59 AM  

The slaw sounds so simple and delicious. I have some cabbage...I might try this tonight. Thank you!

Yoghurt with kashi is so brilliant!

Aron December 3, 2008 at 12:38 PM  

ohh i love the arc trainer :) its my favorite cardio machine!

AHH i fell asleep before the end of BL but i had a feeling that would be the case... i really hope michelle wins too!

Anonymous December 3, 2008 at 1:55 PM  

I would think you were weird if you weren't obsessed with Almond Butter. :)

Love the Hot Slaw concept. Great idea! I love cabbage and am always trying to think of new idea onhow to eat it.

K from ksgoodeats December 3, 2008 at 2:46 PM  

Haha the date comment made me crack up - but you're right they do look like roaches!

I love those crazy housewives!

Lori December 4, 2008 at 12:02 AM  

Awesome picture of Oscar in action!

Totally agree with you about Biggest Loser. I'm really tired of Vicky. I think Michelle definitely deserves to win. I love the makeover episode each season!

I love the arc trainer. I'm so glad I have access to one again during my holiday visit to the States.

Anonymous December 4, 2008 at 7:51 AM  

Ewww ... dates do look like roaches!!! Hahaha!

Almond butter is a MUST-have in this house!

Great action shots of your babies!

Have a good day, girl!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP