12.22.2008

Vegetarian For A Night (12.22.2008)

I cant believe I haven't written in 3 days! Where did the time go? I guess I was busy doing lots of Christmas shopping, sushi eating, wedding going, race spectating, waffle eating, and Nutcracker watching.

Instead of doing a huge recap, I just want to highlight one weekend event - the Celtic Solstice 5 miler!

Unfortunately, I didn't run in the race because I didn't want to re-injure my "not-fully-healed" hamstring from the pressure of being in a race. I did go cheer on my dad, sister, and others. It was freezing, but the fun part about this race is that a bunch of people wear kilts - my dad included. :)

My dad and sister, before the race. I had runner's envy.Kevin and I brought Oscar and decided to run around Druid Hill Lake until the front runners from the race caught up to us. That was fun to see because I have never in my life been up with those folks. I liked this sign at the start/finish line. We kept running through the park and saw a long line of runners looping through the park - there were around 2,600 people in the race. I figure that we ran about 4 miles.

My dad's co-worker (Becky) lives about 5 mins from the finish line and her husband has been making waffles for everyone afterwards the past few years. The coolest part? He makes them in an antique cast iron waffle maker!That huge batch of batter was flavored with cinnamon, pecans, and walnuts. It was served with butter and hot syrup. mmm. Kevin and I decided to split one of these, but I ended up eating 3/4 of it. It was incredible.Had to throw in a picture of Becky's two sweet Chihuahuas with my sister's friend Terri, who said that she reads the blog.HI TERRI.

Tonight's dinner was a vegetarian feast. Kevin whipped up a vinaigrette for the salad:

  • 1 T canola oil
  • 1 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 1 tsp red wine vinegar
  • 1⁄4 tsp salt
  • 1⁄8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • drizzle of agave nectar
This tart and refreshing salad included green leaf lettuce, toasted pecans, goat cheese crumbles, and the mustardy vinaigrette. It really woke up my taste buds.Steamed edamame, sprinkled with coarse sea salt.Baked tofu bites using the following recipe which can be found here. I will definitely be making this tofu again. The marinade was the best I have tried yet.
It was a pretty random dinner and we actually ate each dish about 5 mins apart because we did not practice good time management.

My sweet tooth is now screaming at me. I was lucky enough to pick up a pie from a former co-worker of mine today. Her mother makes the best sweet potato pie I have ever tasted. The problem is that I am supposed to bring this for Christmas Day.
No one should mind if I take my slice a few days early, right? Maybe I will just blame it on someone else...Muuuuaaaaahhhahaha.

14 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl December 22, 2008 at 8:56 PM  

Great running event; cut pups; SCRUMPTIOUS PIE!!!!!

Erica December 22, 2008 at 9:00 PM  

Love your veggie dinner- sounds super. Sounds like you have a lot of fun stuff going on over there. I cannot believe Christmas is in three days

Anonymous December 22, 2008 at 9:02 PM  

sorry to hear about not being able to run the race but looks like you still had a fun day! that pie looks yummy!

Anonymous December 22, 2008 at 10:45 PM  

LOVE YOUR DAD! He looks like a ham. I'm glad you took care of yourself and watched from the sidelines!

Fitnessista December 22, 2008 at 10:47 PM  

that pie looks SO delish!
excellent idea to do your own run instead of risking further injury by doing the race.
i LOVE love love the vegetarian feast! :D
have a great night!

HangryPants December 22, 2008 at 11:12 PM  

Sorry you couldn't do the race, but seems like you made the best choice. The after run waffle looks great!

The tofu looks excellent as well!

Anonymous December 23, 2008 at 8:36 AM  

Your dinner was like eating in a restaurant the way it was all spaced apart ...

So fabulous that you were there to cheer on your dad + sister! Hooray for them ... and to you for squeezing in those 4 miles!!

Have a great day, girl!

K from ksgoodeats December 23, 2008 at 8:48 AM  

WOAH! That is one big bowl of batter - yum!!

Love the looks of the vegetarian feast :)

Meghann December 23, 2008 at 10:11 AM  

I'm glad you decided to sit the race out and not injure yourself further. Sounds like you had just a great of a time just watching the race!

Anonymous December 23, 2008 at 11:10 AM  

Very nice that you went to cheer on your family at the race. Smart idea too to skip it. How is the hamstring feeling? Hope yo uhave a wonderful holiday.

tfh December 23, 2008 at 11:27 AM  

I say eat the whole pie and blame Oscar. ;)

Love kilt-clad dad!

Salty Lass December 23, 2008 at 11:33 AM  

What a wonderful---and social ---- cap to a run. I too, run whenever I can, though the icy hills around Seattle have kept me inside more than I'd like to admit this week.

I eat soy products weekly, edamame included; though I try to vary my recipe from time to time. Last week, I wok-sauteed shelled-edamame with ginger, sesame, and peanut oil, finished with just a touch of sirachi sauce for a bit of heat.

Another quick-go-to recipe I often use is steamed edamame finished with Soy sea salt. The soy on soy is a no-brainer to accentuate, and even simpler to finish a dish as I hand-craft my own soy salt.

If you're curious, take a peak:

www.secretsalts.com

Cheers.

Ali December 23, 2008 at 3:22 PM  

I've never been a big fan of tofu, but that actually sounds good, I might make it over the holidays when I'm all turkey'd and potatoes out.

The pie looks delic!

lauren December 23, 2008 at 4:11 PM  

d10/ the hamstring is feeling so much better. I promised myself I wouldnt do any races or really push myself until the new year, so it could trully heal!

saltymouth/sounds great - i will definitely check out your site. thanks for stopping by!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP