12.11.2008

Dinner Times Two (12.11.2008)

First, thanks for all your tips and well wishes regarding my hamstring injury. They were very helpful and everyone is so supportive!

My hamstring wasn't really hurting after the run on Tuesday, which is a good thing. However, my hip flexers were definitely sore. I figure that just means it has been awhile since I had a good run.

Last night (Wednesday) I made it to the gym for a 40 min workout on the arc trainer. My legs felt tired and I was sweating profusely, but I pushed through. Tonight (Thursday), I am resting at home - no workout!

Getting back to food...last night, I made a dish out of the Top Chef cookbook! This is the first recipe I have made out of it, only because alot of them seem pretty complicated. I enjoy just reading the recipes and learning more about the show and contestants. If any of you are a top chef fan, I would definitely recommend it.I decided on the Turkey and Pork Meatballs with Orecchiette Pasta and Spinach-Almond Pesto made by Casey and Dale on Season 3. I felt like I was participating in a Top Chef challenge because it said 2 hours prep time and I was trying to get it all done in 1 hour, so we could eat before 9pm! And before I took a bite out of Kevin's finger.Link to the recipe can be found here. I did make a few ingredient changes - all turkey in the meatballs, no pork. I also substituted whole wheat pasta that just arrived in the mail! I ordered some after reading MacDuff's post HERE. You should check it out.Overall, the recipe was good, but didn't blow me away. It was extremely garlicky, maybe too much for my taste. The meatballs took forever to make and most of them fell apart as I was cooking them. The ww pasta was great - so I am looking forward to trying some of the other varieties! (My picture looks exactly like the one in the cookbook, right? almost. I tried.) Will I make this recipe again? Yes. Although I will use less garlic in the Spinach-Almond Pesto and more almonds. Maybe even throw in some basil. I will also use pre-made turkey meatballs because those things took the most time and made a mess.

Thursday

Breakfast was broccoli, yellow squash, egg whites, and mozzarella with toasted ww bread w/ almond butter and a drizzle of agave nectar. This breakfast held me over really well!Getting home from work today, I was pumped to find the Smoothie King coupons that I won in Healthy Ashley's Smoothie King Giveaway contest. She also sent a sweet card - thanks so much Ashley! :)Skipping on to dinner tonight - it was a long overdue pizza night. I found some whole wheat boboli crust and wanted to give it a try.I introduce you to the best pizza sauce in the entire world. This stuff is incredible. I eat it with a spoon.Pour some sauce on the crust, then top with sauteed onions, yellow squash, red pepper, and spinach. I feel like something is missing.CHEEEEESE makes everything better. Especially fresh mozzarella cheese. man-oh-man.Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 20 mins. I broiled it for 3 mins at the end to make sure the cheese was nice and bubbly.Two slices later, I was full. But my sweet tooth is currently screaming at me, so I am going to have to find something in a few minutes!

One more thing. I am long overdue with product reviews from my Trader Joe finds, but I need to show you one thing immediately. Edamame Hummus.
Go buy this right now. If you live in Maryland - go quick, because it took us 2 days to get through this and next time - I plan on stocking up.

Good night!

18 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl December 11, 2008 at 8:52 PM  

Hooray for the Top Chef cookbook (sorry that the recipe wasn't as good as you would have hoped for though), hummus, pizza, and smoothie coupons!! :-)

Anonymous December 11, 2008 at 8:53 PM  

ooo girl that din looks top chef worthy to me! TJ's turkey meatballs are PRIME..i put in the micro for 1 min. 45 s. or so, and they are perfect! The oven is good too, but not as speedy. I won the smoothie cards too, cool :D Enjoy!

K from ksgoodeats December 11, 2008 at 9:00 PM  

You just killed me with that mozz on the pizza - YUM!!

Have a great night!

Rose December 11, 2008 at 9:32 PM  

Ooooh I so want that cookbook. Christmas wish list, Santa!

Unknown December 11, 2008 at 9:54 PM  

you can make edamame hummus, too :) soooo good! lovely dinners!

Erica December 11, 2008 at 10:03 PM  

LOVING both of your meals! I want to get this top chef book- I love that show! Fresh Mozarella makes a HUGE difference on pizzas! So good! I get excited every time I buy it! Happy almost Friday!

HangryPants December 12, 2008 at 6:41 AM  

The pesto looks good! I eat garlic cloves daily, so it's probably right up my alley.

I am going to look for that hummus at my TJS!!!!

Anonymous December 12, 2008 at 7:44 AM  

I love homemade pizza with fresh mozzarella. I can eat the cheese plain, I just love it.

Gald the hamstring is feeling better.

EL December 12, 2008 at 9:04 AM  

OMG, that hummus is amazing. We were just eating it with a spoon. I want to figure out how to make it.

Anonymous December 12, 2008 at 10:23 AM  

Don Pepino! That's so cute!

Grace December 12, 2008 at 10:43 AM  

That pizza was amazing. I like the change up.

Anonymous December 12, 2008 at 10:46 AM  

The great thing about taking recipes out of books is you can change them however you like and no one will eve be the wiser. :)

That Pizza looks great! I sweat I could eat Pizza every day!

Anonymous December 12, 2008 at 10:53 AM  

This all makes me very hungy....

tfh December 12, 2008 at 3:47 PM  

Edamame hummus! Thanks for the tip. Your pizza looks fantastic with the fresh mozz. I've never tried the Boboli whole wheat crust-- do you recommend it?

lauren December 12, 2008 at 3:52 PM  

carolinebee/i still havent tried the TJ turkey meatballs - they are on my list for next time!

ttfn300/do you have a good recipe?

EL/ let me know if you find a good recipe!

tfh/I wouldnt say it was my favorite. The whole wheat fresh dough from TJs is alot better. Boboli ww was really thin and not very chewy which is what I like.

Ali December 12, 2008 at 6:18 PM  

Pizza looks great! and the hummus ... wow, I'll be looking for it

Lori December 12, 2008 at 8:41 PM  

I love fresh mozz! That pizza looks amazing! I'd love to try that hummus. Oh how I wish I lived near a Trader Joe's. :( Maybe I can find it somewhere else.

MacDuff December 14, 2008 at 11:37 AM  

I'm so happy you love the pasta! I'm having the red pepper one tonight...LOVE IT.

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP