1.27.2009

Wintry Mix (1.27.2009)

Today, I woke up to a light dusting of snow and it is supposed to turn into ice later tonight through tomorrow. Meetings are being rescheduled for tomorrow, so that means that "working from home" may be in effect for tomorrow. Yippeee.

Sunday

I woke up Sunday morning and had a bowl of oatmeal with all the usual suspects mixed in.
Then, I headed to the gym for a run. I haven't run outside in a long time because I have been digging the whole TV thing at the gym.

I was able to run just under 6 miles in 60 mins on the treadmill. I have decided 60 mins is my limit for treadmill mileage. Any longer is torture.

After my run, I met my parents in Patapsco State Park for a hike with the dogs. I grabbed a Chocolate/Banana Vivianno (with an espresso shot) from Starbucks for my ride in to meet them. My mom had half an egg/cheese on an everything bagel for me when I got there.I was able to get some errands done which included two different grocery shopping trips. First, to a newer, nice Giant where I finally found the White Chocolate Wonderful peanut butter!!
I also picked up some Peanut Butter Puffins and finally see what all the fuss is about. These are SO good. I think half the box is gone and it is only Tuesday. I did have some help from Kevin though.
More Sunday eats included lots of clementines,
Sushi (not pictured), and then a snickerdoodle cookie from Whole Foods. It was chewy and soft - just the way I like them.

Monday

Instead of the normal Monday spin class, Kevin and I moved the dining room table to make room for a home workout that a friend at work told him about. It is a website called I Want Six Pack Abs and I figured it would be fun to try because hey, who doesn't want six pack abs?

We modified it slightly since we don't have a pull-up bar handy. It was funny doing it together at home and Oscar kept trying to lick my face during the push-ups.

We grouped the exercises in twos and would take a 30 sec - 1 min break in between 1 set.

  1. 20 Push-ups x 3 sets
  2. 20 Squats x 3 sets
  3. 30 Stationary lunges (15 on each leg) x 3 sets
  4. 20 jumping jacks x 3 sets
  5. 15 Burpees x 3 sets
  6. 45 sec plank x 3 sets
It was definitely a tough workout!

I tried making a new recipe out of Cooking light and was very excited about it. Endive Gratin.

Pre-baked Endives sprinkled with turkey bacon
Covered in a mixture of skim milk, whole wheat flour, butter, and spices. Topped with parmesan cheese.
Baked for 20 mins at 400 degrees.
It looks like it would have been great, right?

It was HORRIBLE. The endive was super bitter and took on this slimy texture. yuck. Kevin and I both picked off some cheese and turkey bacon (the good stuff) and then we threw it out. I hated to waste it, but I couldn't think of anyway to save it.

Good thing we had also cooked up the remaining brussels sprouts,
and baked coconut crusted tilapia.
Tuesday

Tonight is Key Run Weekly Workout # 1 at the gym
  • 10-20 minute warm-up
  • 6 x 800m (90 sec. RI)
  • 10 minute cool-down

I need to update my blog to show my 2009 Race calendar, especially since I added one for this weekend!

We are doing the Superbowl Trail Race on Sunday @ 9am which is part of a series that the Baltimore Road Runners Club puts on. It is a 5 mile loop that you can do once or twice. Kevin and I are going to try and do the 10 miles.

This is the exact way it is described on the website:

"The course is a five mile loop you can do once or twice for a 5 or 10 mile race. The terrain is trail, grass and one or two small inclines (hee, hee)."

I guess that means the "two small inclines" will really be a couple of large mountains? we shall see...

15 comments:

Erica January 27, 2009 at 2:12 PM  

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy for working from home :) Very exciting. Aren't the PB puffins amazing! I can't keep them in the house, Josh flys through the box! Sorry the dinner turned out sort of eh...it did look delicious!

Anonymous January 27, 2009 at 2:44 PM  

sorry the gratin wasn't so good.. it looks glorious though!
i still haven't tried pb puffins! totally need to get on that
60 minutes is my max for the treadmill too.. it's so boring!
have a wonderful day!

RunningLaur January 27, 2009 at 2:59 PM  

the label on your peanut butter makes it look like it's made by Ben and Jerry's!
Good luck with the workout!

K from ksgoodeats January 27, 2009 at 3:25 PM  

Sorry about the dinner :( Eat more puffins to compensate!! ;)

Hope you get to work from home!

Anonymous January 27, 2009 at 3:56 PM  

Lucky you get to work from home! thats awesome :) OMG those pb puffins are so addicting, its absolutely ridiculous how fast i go through a box of those. they are just TOO good. Haven't tried the white chocolate wonderful, i am dying to try the dark chocolate, the mighty maple is awesome! Have fun and good luck with the 10 miler!

I Run for Fun January 27, 2009 at 4:07 PM  

Ah...working from home! See, snow has its uses. I must try the Puffins. Have fun at the race!

Anonymous January 27, 2009 at 5:52 PM  

I hope you get to work from home tomorra...

you had some really good eats besides your bitter endive gratin... I love banana chocolate vivanno!

Anonymous January 27, 2009 at 6:46 PM  

Hope you get to work from home tomorrow! That'd be sweet!

And good luck this weekend! 10 miles is awesome!

Anonymous January 27, 2009 at 7:09 PM  

Wish there was a super bowl race around here. Sounds like fun. Plus, it would help with the guilt of eating all the super bowl food.

Meghann January 27, 2009 at 9:30 PM  

The graitn wasn't great? It looks good to me! :)

Yay for trail runs! You are going to kick booty!

Anonymous January 27, 2009 at 11:13 PM  

I'm with you on the max out on the treadmill runs at an hour. I did a 12-er a few weeks back and found out that at 99:99 on the treadmill it just STOPS. I about fell off.

Those PB Puffins will get you. I have a box that I am currently storing in my garage that is taunting me. Stupid cereal.

Cassandra January 28, 2009 at 1:02 AM  

omg white chocolate PB heaven! I love endive but sometimes the bitterness is just too much!

Corey January 28, 2009 at 11:01 AM  

Hey Lauren - we missed you and Kevin at the party. Hopefully you two have a chance to stop over sometime. :-)

P.S. The endive dish looks pretty gross.

EL January 29, 2009 at 8:59 AM  

I am thinking of doing the race Sunday too! I need to get in 10 miler this weekend and am tired of running around the Harbor. My big concern is that I have not run trails in 8 years (and I only did it a few times) and I am very intimidated by it. Any advice?

EL January 29, 2009 at 2:45 PM  

Boo, they cancelled the race.

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP