1.03.2009

2009: Off to a Great Start

Happy New Year!

Kevin and I just got back from a great couple of days down at the beach with friends. We had a blast and ended up staying an extra night. I cant even imagine going back to work on Monday.

New Years Eve we had a fabulous dinner at The Hobbit which has been called the nicest restaurant in Ocean City. I couldn't find a website, but did find a review with photos HERE.

Unfortunately, I didn't feel comfortable taking pictures, but of course I remember exactly what I ate. Kevin and I split shrimp bisque, all four of us shared this warm, garlicky, pistachio cheese spread with crackers and apples, and then I ordered the prime filet and crab cake that came with asparagus wrapped in prosciutto and roasted potatoes. Everything was incredible and I savored every bite.

After dinner, I ordered an espresso martini to ensure I made it to midnight and beyond. Since I had downed two glasses of red wine during dinner, I felt brave enough to snap a photo of the martini. :)We moved on to our friends' restaurant/bar - Mother's Cantina - to see the ball drop and celebrate for the rest of the night. I thought it might be tasty to dip tortilla chips in a vodka/cranberry drink. Speaking from experience - stick with salsa. Kevin helped pass out the champagne before the ball dropped. We had a ton of fun.
Since my parents were down with friends also, they invited us over for New Years Day brunch. We managed to make it there by 11am despite having just gone to bed at 4am. oopsie.

Fruit salad, mexican egg casserole, fresh waffles, and mimosas. I topped my waffle with some smart balance and syrup. My mom also had made lump crab dip the night before that we helped polish off.The rest of the first day in 2009 looked like this. Ugh.

Kevin and I did manage to get up the next day (Friday) and head straight to the gym. I did 30 mins on the elliptical and then 45 mins of lifting.

That night, our friends had us over to their place for a fancy beach dinner.

I started off with red wine and then moved on to a Circus Boy. The chef of the night - Pat - works for Magic Hat, so we had a good supply of this stuff. Pat cooked the entire meal for 10 of us. We started off with a simple salad of mixed greens, croutons, and italian dressing.Also had some fresh baguette dipped in an olive oil/ground black pepper mixture.It is great to be surrounded by men who love to cook. Kevin helped plate the dishes while Pat took a quick wine break.My plate of seared venison medallions in a red wine demi-glace served atop mashed red potatoes with a mixture of sauteed vegetables. Oh and two stuffed shrimp, full of a lump crab imperial mixture. YUM.I had never had venison like this before and was skeptical, but it tasted just like beef and while i am not a huge red meat eater, I really enjoyed it.

Afterwards, we headed back down to Mother's Cantina for a night that involved a lot of this.Guitar Hero. The guys were really serious.

I hope that everyone had a delicious and fun new years. Looking forward to catching up on the hundreds of posts sitting in my google reader!

On the way home from the beach today, we stopped to pick up a pound of fresh scallops. Dinner was incredible but since this is already pretty long, I will save the recap for tomorrow.

Good night all!

15 comments:

Erica January 3, 2009 at 7:50 PM  

WOW! All of your activities look like so much fun! Sounds like you had a great New Years (and days following)! Happy New Year!

Anonymous January 3, 2009 at 8:00 PM  

Sounds soo fun! Great call on the espresso martini- i did the same, but just drank coffee and then alcohol separately :D Have a great night, happy new year!

K from ksgoodeats January 3, 2009 at 8:01 PM  

Haha my favorite pics of the post were the wine sipping in the background and you on the couch New Year's day ;)

Glad to hear you had a great holiday!! Everything looks fabulous!

Anonymous January 3, 2009 at 8:36 PM  

Sounds like you had an awesome time with family and friends. Rest up, back to work on Monday:(

Anonymous January 3, 2009 at 9:00 PM  

Happy New Year, girl!

I'm so super jeal of your trip to the beach! I want the beach!!

It looks like you had a fabulous time! My favorite pic was you dipping your chip in the vodka drink! Haha! Too funny!!

I spent the day after on the couch as well ... pretty impressive that you made it to brunch! :)

Amira January 3, 2009 at 10:03 PM  

looks like you had a great new years, he he love the pic of the following morning. (p.s love guitar hero, so fun!)

Unknown January 3, 2009 at 10:03 PM  

wow, so much fun and goodness :) happy new year!!

LizNoVeggieGirl January 3, 2009 at 10:05 PM  

Such a blast, girl!! :-)

mara January 3, 2009 at 10:25 PM  

well all of THAT looked fun! o.c. is where its at for new years. good choice. i want a bar near me with guitar hero :(

Shoe Running January 4, 2009 at 12:03 AM  

Sounds like an awesome time at the Hobbit, glad you got the martini shot...mmmm!

Looks like you had a great New Year :)

ChickPea January 4, 2009 at 1:34 AM  

Aw man, what is it about guys and Guitar Hero?! The males at our NYE celebration did not stop playing long enough even to watch the ball drop!

Anonymous January 4, 2009 at 1:47 AM  

Happy New Year! It sounds like you've had some fun these past few days :o) All of your eats look great and you look so happy (well, except for that couch picture haha) - I love it!

Anonymous January 4, 2009 at 9:07 AM  

What a great way to start the year!

Brave of you to try the venison!

I Run for Fun January 4, 2009 at 12:51 PM  

My my...you guys had such a great time! Despite the hangover, that is! All that food looks sooo good! Mmm.

Aron January 5, 2009 at 1:02 PM  

ohhhh looks like you had so much fun!!!! happy new year!

i am newly addicted to guitar hero :)

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP