1.24.2009

Brrrrrr (1.24.2009)

I did it and am finally warm enough to write about it.

Backing up a little, this morning I woke up and knew I wanted a big bowl of WARM oatmeal to start my day off right. I went with a decadent combination since I was about to jump into freezing cold water and if I didn't make it out alive, I wanted my last meal to be a good one. ;)

  • 1/2 c oatmeal
  • 1/2 c skim milk
  • blueberries
  • sprinkle of brown sugar
  • white chocolate and peanut butter chips
  • spoonful of almond butter
It was one of the best bowls of oatmeal I have had in awhile. I love when blueberries get hot in the oatmeal and they burst. mmm.

After breakfast, we headed down to pick up Kevin's sister, Molly, who was our team captain. We met up with everyone and headed over to Sandy Point State Park.Kevin's company sponsored our team, so we were lucky enough to score corporate parking passes and loaded all 16 people in 2 big cars. Our passes got us in the parking lots closest to the warming tents and the water, which was really convenient.

It has been awhile since I cracked a beer open at 10am, but it went down easily and helped build up my "liquid courage". We had a fire pit for extra warmth, but it's main purpose was to grill up hot dogs, hamburgers, bratwurst, and chicken wings. Kevin had marinated the wings overnight using two sauces:

Regular Hot Wings: Franks Hot Sauce, Garlic, and Butter
Barbecue Hot Wings: Sweet Baby Ray's Honey Barbecue with Old Bay Seasoning
All the food went fast. I downed a hot dog, a chicken wing, and some tortillas chips with homemade guacamole that I had made the night before.

I also did a shot of dutch chocolate vodka for dessert. Hey - everybody needs something sweet after a meal, right?

Time to plunge! Most of the group...Kevin and I were huddled together (temperatures in the 30s) trying to keep warm moments before we plunged into 36 degree water. Yes, you read right. 36 degrees. I was scuuurred, but excited too. I left my hat and scarf on for the plunge. The hat is my grandfather's that he gave me recently because I told him I thought it was cool. It has flaps on the sides that cover your ears. Flaps are cool.

I ran in the water until it was up above my belly button, splashed around and then ran out as fast as I could. It was a rush....a major adrenaline rush.

I forgot to take any "after" photos because I was rushing to get into the warming/changing tents. We ran into the first tent we saw. I noticed that there weren't a lot of, if any, women in there and felt proud of myself for being one of few women to get in the water. I felt hard core.

I was able to remove the layers under my towel and get changed pretty quickly. Then, I realized a lot of the men around me were naked. It was too much. Molly and I were snickering like little girls. I saw things I never wanted to see.

Some man finally came over to Kevin and said that we shouldn't have been in there. Meaning me and his sister Molly. We were in the MEN's changing tent. Oopsie. (and yeah, plenty of other women plunged - they just went to change in the WOMEN's tent like they were supposed too.)

I was also excited to tell you about my celebrity sighting. Borat! Ewww, right?! Have a great rest of your weekend!

25 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl January 24, 2009 at 7:45 PM  

I commend you for going through with it!! Knew you'd be great :-)

Oooh, love the "add-ins" in your oatmeal - yum!!

That last photo is beyond disturbing, haha - ew is right!!

I Run for Fun January 24, 2009 at 7:51 PM  

Lauren, hats off to you!!! I could never have done it. Though with some beer and hot wings in me, who knows?

I just love your oatmeal creations...they just get better and better.

Anonymous January 24, 2009 at 8:23 PM  

YAY!! You survived :) Fabulous dessert to your meal as well!

Too funny about the tent fiasco and Borat - very niiiice!

Erica January 24, 2009 at 8:47 PM  

hahahahahha congrats for making it! That is hilarious about the changing tents. Love the hat- I bet your grandpa rocks!

All the food sounds good too!
I use to buy sweet baby rays all the time until I saw the HFCS was the FIRST ingredient- sighhhh!

Anonymous January 24, 2009 at 8:49 PM  

haha congrats on making it! sounds like you had such a good time! haha borat!! too funny :)

Elizabeth January 24, 2009 at 9:58 PM  

You did it! And, Borat was there? :) Wow!!! Yay, so glad it is behind you. :)

Anonymous January 24, 2009 at 10:37 PM  

WooHOO! Congratz!!

LOL about the tent! WOOPS...

Anonymous January 24, 2009 at 10:45 PM  

haha HILARIOUS!! GREAT JOB lady!! That is soo freakin' awesome, hey admit it you knew it was the men's tent ;D

Meghann January 24, 2009 at 11:36 PM  

HAHAHAHA I like how only one man came to tell you you were in the wrong tent and all the other guys just ignored it and proceeded to be naked :) Congrats on taking the plunge! It makes me brrr... just thinking about it :)

Anonymous January 25, 2009 at 1:39 AM  

I still think you are hard core!!

Love the liquid (and chocolate) courage!

What a memory you will always have. And I agree, flaps are cool.

Anonymous January 25, 2009 at 1:45 AM  

Flaps are cool!!!! I too inherited a flapped hat but from my late gramps and it is AWESOME! I love that you dove in the water being so freezing!

Anonymous January 25, 2009 at 9:21 AM  

Awesome job!!! I hate being cold, but you made it sound fun. Glad you had a great time.

MacDuff January 25, 2009 at 3:09 PM  

You are so brave!!!!! I'm shivering just thinking about it! I couldn't even make it on my run today, it was so cold!

Grace January 25, 2009 at 4:14 PM  

I had so much fun doing the plunge with you. I hope you and Molly weren't scarred for life from being in the men's tent!

Unknown January 25, 2009 at 4:24 PM  

glad you survived :) love the hat, flaps are so toasty for the ears!!!

Caitlin January 25, 2009 at 7:40 PM  

I am so impressed by you! Congratulations!!!

Anonymous January 25, 2009 at 8:07 PM  

That's crazy! Girl you are such a thrill seeker! What a blast though! I can't believe you ended up in the men's tent. That's what you get for drinking and then running into 36 degree water! :)
Flaps are definitely cool!

Ali January 25, 2009 at 10:34 PM  

That sounded like so much fun ... cold ... but fun! Love the changing room mix up too funny!

Anonymous January 25, 2009 at 10:54 PM  

That's awesome! Such a cool thing to have done... not that I can envision doing it. So cold!

Aron January 25, 2009 at 11:25 PM  

wow you are awesome!!!! BRRRR!!!

Anonymous January 26, 2009 at 12:23 AM  

Oh my I am so impressed by you, Lauren!! I am so glad that you kicked that 36 degree water's arse and jumped in!! The pictures are amazing. Congratulations!!

tfh January 26, 2009 at 3:46 PM  

Aiiii! I was thinking about you this weekend when I saw the photos of the plunge in the paper...SO COOL and brave!

Jen (Running with Food) January 26, 2009 at 6:33 PM  

You are so awesome! Way to go, girl! Too funny about the tent mix-up!!

Anonymous January 27, 2009 at 8:25 AM  

LOL!!! I was about to ask you how it went! Looks like a blast, but I'd NEVER do that in the cold! Brrrrrr! :)

Caitlin at Healthy Tipping Point January 27, 2009 at 11:23 AM  

hahah yay borat!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP