1.20.2009

Tuesday is Here... (1.20.2009)

And I wish it was Friday. And I couldn't think of a good title for this post. I haven't even told you about my Sunday eats. I am behind.

Sooooo, looking back to Sunday afternoon/evening...it was basically spent recovering from a weekend full of food and too much wine.

I found this soup at Trader Joes which looked interesting. Lunch was Lentil Soup w/ Vegetables.
Nutrition Facts, for your information. (holy sodium)
My first bite is below, but that is as far as it went...
...I didn't like the soup. Cant put my finger on the exact reason, so it could have been because my "hungover" state had me feeling nauseous most of the day. I ate a piece of dry toast after this and then passed out for at least another hour on the couch.

Sunday dinner was simple - exactly what I needed. Rotisserie Chicken with broccoli.
I like sauteing broccoli with a little EVOO, chopped garlic, and lemon.
My dinner plate.

Monday

I must have been sleep walking through Monday because I have no recollection what I ate for breakfast and lunch.

Oh wait - I know I ate too many of these things...
Trader Joes's Roasted Plaintain Chips. They are addicting. I currently have a plantain chip obsession and told Kevin that he can't let me buy them anymore.

I made it to spin class, which was grueling, and came home to Kevin cooking up some yummy brussels sprouts with mushrooms, onions, and turkey bacon in a white wine sauce.
I quickly cooked up some shrimp in EVOO, garlic, parsley, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and red pepper. Katie's Spicy Garlic Shrimp were my inspiration. I didn't have any sesame oil, so I went with regular EVOO. They were delicious...and SO quick and easy.
I am horrible with using up the fresh herbs before they go bad, so I often resort to these bottles. They last much longer and until I find the frozen type a few bloggers have tried recently - I will be buying these. Dessert was part-skim ricotta with semi-sweet chocolate chips, almonds, and a drizzle of agave nectar served in one of my cute little anthropologie bowls.
These bowls are great for portion control, which can sometimes be my problem. They probably hold about a half cups worth, maybe less.

Tuesday

I woke up and had a bowl of regular puffins with sliced bananas, blueberries, and skim milk.
My mid-morning snack was a new one - so wanted to mention it. Sliced zucchini with a smear of edamame hummus and a grape tomato. Sorry about the blurry picture, I was trying to quickly take it at work before someone saw me.
Perfect little bites. Would be a healthy, party appetizer! The edamame hummus from Trader Joes would make rocks taste good. seriously.

Lunch was a laughing cow swiss cheese wedge spread on a flat-out wrap with spinach and leftover shrimp from last night.
I rolled this and heated it in the microwave for 30 secs. Very tasty.

Hope everyone enjoyed Inauguration Day. A good amount of people took off, but my company set up a conference room with the live broadcast for all of us that were working. I couldn't believe the shots of the crowd - completely overwhelming.

I leave you with my girl, Lucy, who managed to move her head ever so slightly just as I snapped this photo. It is still a favorite and a nice reminder to "stop and smell the roses". :)

24 comments:

K from ksgoodeats January 20, 2009 at 4:01 PM  

That's an interesting can shape! Love the zucchini bites :)

Anonymous January 20, 2009 at 4:32 PM  

love your eats that shrimp looks awesome, lucy is too cute!!

Erica January 20, 2009 at 5:31 PM  

hahah love lucy in the roses! Bummer about the soup. The can shape is really cool though? Shrimp! I haven't made it in forever. I have to work that into our menu, looks great

Anonymous January 20, 2009 at 6:23 PM  

OMG love your cat :D Those are some gourmet meals, i love sauteeing the broc too, i get sick of steaming it which i usually do out of laziness.

Anonymous January 20, 2009 at 9:01 PM  

such a cute pic of the roses and ur cat!

how sweet of kevin (your bf/husband??) to cook such an incredible dinner... lucky you!

MacDuff January 20, 2009 at 10:16 PM  

The older I get, the worse my hangovers get. It makes me so reluctant to go out to happy hours, I swear. Not that we have them here...they're illegal in Massachusetts. Yes, we are a blue state, too. A blue state full of fascist zealots.

Try adding some sour cream and Franks hot sauce to that lentil soup - it really helps it out. And I'm now craving your shrimp.

Fitnessista January 20, 2009 at 10:49 PM  

lucy is so precious!!
AHHH I LOVE SHRIMP! that wrap looks so delish
hope you have a wonderful night!

camtim42 January 20, 2009 at 11:38 PM  

Aww what a cute picture of your kitty. I hate it when they move their head. It took me like 20 shots to get a few good ones of my dog today!

Elizabeth January 21, 2009 at 12:34 AM  

Wow. I had my hand on that soup at TJs and then decided to pass. Sounds like it was a good decision.

ChickPea January 21, 2009 at 12:58 AM  

Ooh! Those herbs in a tube sound right up my alley. Are they expensive?

Lori January 21, 2009 at 4:45 AM  

I love ricotta for dessert! I usually mix cocoa powder with mine.

Jen (Running with Food) January 21, 2009 at 9:00 AM  

Aww ... sweet kitty! Such pretty flowers!

I love Kevin's Brussels sprouts combo - might have to borrow that one!

Have a good day, girl!

elise January 21, 2009 at 11:13 AM  

too bad those lentils werent good because the can is so cute.

i wish we had more TJs in manhattan :(

i've seen those tubes of herbs before, are they good? how long do they stay fresh?

lauren January 21, 2009 at 12:47 PM  

chickpea/ the herbs are more expensive than fresh herbs, but right in line with the price of dried herbs. I paid appx. $3.50 for one tube, but they last me (at least) a few weeks. You can freeze them in between uses so it lasts much longer.

elise/I think they are just as good as fresh herbs. I use the cilantro paste in guacamole and used the parsley for my shrimp. all had great flavor. There is a "best used before date" on the tube, but you can freeze in between uses to make it last much longer. Here is the website with more info:
http://www.gourmetgarden.com/FAQ.aspx

Shoe Running January 21, 2009 at 4:22 PM  

I have a suggestion about fresh herbs:

I always throw my basil and cilantro (stems, leaves & all) right into the freezer as soon as I buy them. It wouldn't work if you wanted to use them raw, but I think it is about the same taste and texture for using in cooked dishes. I got all my roommates to do it too :)

lauren January 21, 2009 at 4:26 PM  

shoerunning/GOOD IDEA! thanks so much.

Anonymous January 21, 2009 at 5:20 PM  

I had the same issue with the soup. I had to totally spice it up and it still wasn't the best.

As to your question on my blog =), a pumelo is a massively huge grapefruit. So delicious!

Anonymous January 21, 2009 at 6:24 PM  

you should try the dorto or dotto... i think that's what they're called, they have them at trader joe's they're frozen individual one use cubes of frozen spices like basil, parsley, ginger, etc. they're so handy! you get 20 cubes in one container (flat container with red top and clear bottom)... those would be handy because i see you buy the tube of herbs... these are frozen and come out pretty fresh tasting!

Anonymous January 21, 2009 at 7:07 PM  

Yeah, I don't like that soup either.

I Run for Fun January 21, 2009 at 11:05 PM  

Aw...that pic of Lusy is so precious! I keep saying this but can't help myself...your brussels sprouts looks so good...so does the shrimp!

Anonymous January 22, 2009 at 3:46 PM  

What a fantastic dessert! I'll have to try it!

Love the pic of the roses and cat!

HangryPants January 22, 2009 at 8:57 PM  

Sorry about the soup! Maybe it was just too salty. I've had some of the other TJ soups in the box.

Lucy is such a cutie!

Heather

LizNoVeggieGirl January 23, 2009 at 7:55 AM  

PUFFINS!!!

Cute cat!! :-D

Anonymous January 23, 2009 at 3:38 PM  

Just wanted to let you know... a new yoga studio just opened up on Fleet Street, and its donation based. They reccomend you donate $10 a class. It Looks awesome!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP