1.13.2009

New Things (1.13.2009)

This post is going to be a mish-mosh of new products I have been trying over the past few weeks.


New Bowls

My sister gave me new bowls (and plates) for Christmas and I have really been enjoying them. I love the bright turquoise color of the bowls and how deep they are.

This bowl includes 1/2 c oatmeal, 1/2 c skim milk, sliced banana, almonds, cinnamon, agave nectar, and a spoonful of almond butter. I think the new bowls make the oatmeal look better and I apologize for all my ugly bowl pictures in the past. Never again. I promise. Unless all these are dirty and I need to use an old one.
Another "new bowl" shot with a big serving of regular puffins, skim milk, and a sliced banana. The deepness of these bowls lets me eat more cereal and still be able to say I just had one bowl. :)

Vanilla Yogurt

I broke down and paid TOO much money for yogurt. Blog land made me do it. Taken from their website - Skyr - (pronounced skeer) is a remarkable dairy product unique to Iceland. A smooth, rich flavour and creamy thick texture gives all-natural skyr a distinct place of its own on the dairy shelf!

It was absolutely worth every penny and is my favorite yogurt I have ever tried...in my life. I could only find it sold at the Whole Foods near me, where I shop for special items.
It comes with a cute little spoon on top and was incredibly creamy and tasty. The Vanilla flavor I tried had little specks of vanilla - like in Breyers ice cream. I plan on buying more as soon as I get back to Whole Foods.

The other yogurt I tried recently was Dannon Light & Fit - Vanilla.
I bought this brand because my regular grocery store doesn't carry greek yogurt and this brand was on sale. I took one bite and hated it. yuck. It was sickly sweet and too runny. The only good thing I can say about this yogurt is that it is cheap.

The thing I have learned with these new yogurts is - you get what you pay for.

Soup

I picked up Trader Joes Organic Tomato & Roasted Red Pepper soup awhile ago, but just tried it today for the first time.
I could summarize my thoughts pretty quickly by saying - I licked the tupperware lid. I wanted to get every last drop of the 1 cup serving I brought. It was SO freakin good. And low in sodium which is normally the drawback with soups I have tried.

I added three turkey meatballs to the soup for some extra protein and was thinking I should have added some veggies. I will next time because I can confidently say that this soup will become a staple in my work lunches.

The other soup I tried recently is Progresso's Light, Reduced-Sodium, Roasted Chicken & Vegetable soup.
I tend to pick out the meat in canned soups because it always looks mysterious. The chicken in this soup was no different - scary looking, so I picked it all out.
Overall, the taste was a little bland - it needed more herbs. Less fat, but higher sodium content than TJ's soup above - so I probably wont be buying this again.

Drinks

Until recently, I have only used soy milk in smoothies. For some reason it just scared me to drink by the glass or use in my cereal or oatmeal. Then, I tried Chocolate Silk Soy Milk.I drink a glass when I need something sweet and chocolatey. It is great as a dessert or snack. I wont claim to know much else about it - except I like it and I am not scared of soy milk anymore.

The other night while roaming the aisles of my grocery store after a workout - I felt thirsty and wanted something other than water. To be honest, I wanted Diet Dr. Pepper. But instead, I thought I would try something new and slightly better for me.

Safeway Organics Blood Orange Italian Soda fit the bill. It was in a fancy bottle and I felt cool buying it because these things make me happy. Nutrition Facts can be found here. It is all-natural and has no high fructose corn syrup.
I thought it was delicious and would be great mixed with vodka or to have while hosting a party. Especially if the party was in the summer months and they were thrown in a cooler. It quenched my thirst and I cant wait to try the other flavors which include Pomegranate, Lemon, and Orange-Blueberry.

Bars

Actually, one bar in particular. Shakti - Mango Maca flavor from Pranabar. These are sold exclusively at Whole Foods and I had a hard time finding any detailed product information online. My boy Oscar was VERY interested to get a whiff of this bar. :)
"Shakti", from Sanskrit shak - "to be able," means sacred force or empowerment. I really like that. It makes me want to go back and buy more of these bars. If you are interested, read more at Wikipedia.

The texture was very similar to a larabar. Organic, raw, vegan, and gluten-free are some of the things this bar boasts. Not to mention "Mmm, Mmm, Good".

Hope you enjoyed taking a look at the new stuff I have been trying lately. All of the blogs I read have opened my eyes to so many new products, recipes, ideas - and I love it.

16 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl January 13, 2009 at 4:58 PM  

BEYOND gorgeous dishware; and thanks for the product reviews!!


**Just as a heads up: I will not be able to comment on blogs as often now, during this semester, due to work overload (I'm stressed already) - PLEASE know that I'm still loyally reading, but just won't have time to comment. I hope you understand!!

Aron January 13, 2009 at 5:39 PM  

i used to only eat dannon light and fit and loved it... my nutritionist told me to quit eating it so i stopped. now if i try and eat it i think its so gross!

Anonymous January 13, 2009 at 5:50 PM  

I almost bought that soup the other day and now I'm kicking myself that I didn't!!!

I love the pic with your dog sniffing the bar =)

Anonymous January 13, 2009 at 6:05 PM  

I totally used to eat those light n fits, and also the yoplait lights- when I have them now i can't even handle it! I'm sure the extra $$$ is for that little spoon :D

Anonymous January 13, 2009 at 6:47 PM  

mmm i love chocolate soymilk! i always drink it after hard runs or make smoothies with it!

Anonymous January 13, 2009 at 7:49 PM  

The italian sodas are FABULOUS mixed with Champagne! I especially love Pomegranate Italian Soda :)

Anonymous January 13, 2009 at 7:56 PM  

I love the Silk chocolate soy milk! It help satisfy my cravings.

Erica January 13, 2009 at 8:27 PM  

Love deep bowls! I need some new ones. What a fun present.

Love all of the reviews- I want the yogurt and the bar! Looking for both at Whole Foods this weekend. Thank you girl!

Anonymous January 13, 2009 at 9:26 PM  

Lovin' this post :)

Question: Is the skyr yogurt more comparable to Greek yogurt or regular yogurt?

Your sister has great taste in dishware!

lauren January 13, 2009 at 9:34 PM  

veggiegirl/ no problem! will miss your great comments, but school is most important!

ksgoodeats/definitely thicker like greek yogurt. Iceland claims it is unique to their country. They say it fits somewhere between yogurt and ice cream - and I agree.

ChickPea January 13, 2009 at 11:45 PM  

Haha--so true that blog land makes me do many questionable things:)

Anonymous January 14, 2009 at 9:23 AM  

Beautiful new bowls :) i love them! I have been seeing that yogurt at whole foods, and now after the great review i'll have to try some out!

Unknown January 14, 2009 at 9:33 PM  

omg i love skyr, too much for a weekly occurrance though :(

I Run for Fun January 14, 2009 at 11:11 PM  

You've been busy! Love the reviews...thank you! I love Silk chocolate soy milk too!

I am a total sucker for pretty dishware. Love your new bowls!

Anonymous January 15, 2009 at 6:35 PM  

I love chocolate silk! It's my very favorite thing and like Matt above, I drink it after all my runs. :D

Courtney January 24, 2009 at 12:48 PM  

Catching up on your blog... the tomato and roasted red pepper soup is so good. Pick up a bag of frozen artichokes in the freezer section of Trader Joe's and add a few to the soup -- it's delicious!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP