1.08.2009

I Survived (01.08.2009)

I am proud to say that I didn't stop breathing in my soccer game last night. But, it was EXTREMELY tough. My touch on the ball wasn't too bad, but after the first few sprints, I literally couldn't catch my breath.

One would think that I was in shape with the running and spinning that I have been doing, but it is such a different workout and I was not ready. I had that feeling in my throat after you push yourself really hard and you feel like you are about to throw up.

Water doesn't help. Taking a break doesn't help. It took me a good 5-10 mins to recover and it was horrible. I compare it to soccer pre-season in college when we did sprint workouts on the track. It just plain hurt.

I did end up going back in since it was only the first quarter and was ok for the rest of the game. My throat hurt pretty bad afterwards - maybe it was the air in the arena? Even though it started out rough, I had fun and it felt great to be playing again.

Needless to say, I plan to incorporate some sprint workouts into my training because that was just embarrassing. There is this loop in the park near me that is about a half mile and the next dry day - I will be out there.

I have been taking pictures of my food, but slacking on writing about them, so here are a small sampling of my eats over the past few days.

The Trader Joes Chicken and Vegetable gyoza are my absolute favorite of all time. I think I could eat them every day. I am obsessed. This was dinner a night or two ago - chili spiced tilapia with a spinach stuffed portabella topped with light mozzarella.
I finally had oatmeal again this morning - it has been over a week. I can hear your gasps. I threw on some semi-sweet chocolate chips and it tasted more like an oatmeal cookie. Didn't bother me at all!
Wait until you see this - my almond butter jar. Your gasps are deafening now! Grocery shopping is definitely on the agenda tonight.
Right after I head to the gym...see you later!

Oh, I had a question I thought might be interesting:

What is on the background of the desktop of your computer? A favorite picture? A particular design or color? Or nothing at all?

Mine is a picture of Oscar (my dog) swimming at this dog beach - Quiet Waters Park in Annapolis. I love it because he has a look of pure joy on his face and it makes me happy every time I look at it. :)

**Edited to add the picture - oopsie. I couldn't find where it was saved, so I just did a quick screen print.

26 comments:

Aron January 8, 2009 at 6:31 PM  

ohhh soccer sounds fun!! but yes those sports are definitely a different type of workout! wont be long and you wont have a problem!

my desktop pic is of my doggies kylie and emma :)

LizNoVeggieGirl January 8, 2009 at 6:35 PM  

HOORAY!! I knew you'd make it through the game - awesome!!

My desktop photo is of the galaxy :-)

K from ksgoodeats January 8, 2009 at 6:39 PM  

Congrats on making it through! That sounds intense!! Sprinting is the worst :(

The mushroom = divine! I definitely gasped at the empty PB jar....sad day in the athlEAT household my friend!

Cute pic of Oscar! Mine is a picture of my dog looking rather pathetic haha

Anonymous January 8, 2009 at 6:58 PM  

Its so cool that you're playing soccer! I play also--for my high school team and I love the sport! I'm getting ready for my indoor season--Indoor is much harder though! Good luck!

my desktop pic is a soccer pic right after i scored a goal!

Ali January 8, 2009 at 8:26 PM  

well done on the soccer!

my desktop pic is of a beach ... a wish i was there ... there is 2 feet of snow outside.

Anonymous January 8, 2009 at 8:39 PM  

AH i hate that almost-barf feeling, but after you're on such a high! My desktop is me and my girls senior year of college in Hawaii :D AHH i just stare at it and pretend I'm there, i wish!

Erica January 8, 2009 at 8:41 PM  

owwwwwwwwwwww that is such a cute picture of Oscar. My background right now is a picture of the beach I took on Thanksgiving. So peaceful! Ususally its a picture of Josh and Frank.

Isn't it so funny how different activities really required you to be in different versions of "good shape?" Glad you enjoyed the soccer!

Anonymous January 8, 2009 at 8:45 PM  

It's amazing how out of shape you can feel when you do an activity you aren't used to doing. I get the same affect from the stairmill at the gym.

Anyhow, my desktop pick is of my dog Zoey, as a pup, lying in the sun, reaching for her toy which is in the shade.

Anonymous January 8, 2009 at 8:48 PM  

ah nacho mamas margarita hubcabs are where its at! so good! i've only eaten there once, but I definitely plan on returning!
ah i'm playing in an indoor field hockey league starting this sunday and i feel like i'm going to be sucking some wind too. no matter how much you work out, theres nothing like an hour of non stop sprints! haha.
i've never tried almond butter before, what kind do you get?

Anonymous January 8, 2009 at 9:33 PM  

congrats on making it through the soccer game! soccer is actually really tough; it's alot different from running because its stop and go, stop and go.

my desktop picture is a nike running ad :)

Unknown January 8, 2009 at 10:39 PM  

that portabello looks awesome! my desktop is of my dog... who is sadly no longer with us... it's a cute pic, not meant to be a downer!

Anonymous January 8, 2009 at 11:23 PM  

my dog's name is oscar too! :) but my background is a picture of my five best girlfriends. it changes often though!

RunningLaur January 9, 2009 at 8:07 AM  

Good job at soccer! Sounds like a good crosstraining option.

I love this background question! Mine is a Chihuly sculpture (glass artist) because I love the art and the bright colors: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1275/772641585_b2b79ed4c0.jpg?v=0

I Run for Fun January 9, 2009 at 9:04 AM  

Great job on the soccer! I know the sprints can be really rough. I can't imagine going back to playing basketball like I used to in school and college.

Hey, I've become an oatmeal fanatic too!

lauren January 9, 2009 at 11:43 AM  

erica/ yeah - it is just crazy! at least by the end of the season - i hope to be in better sprinting shape!

dailygoods/ I use the crunchy, no-stir maranatha type. I usually pick it up at whole foods right in harbor east!

runninglaur/ thanks for sharing - that is beautiful!

i run for fun/ it is addicting!

Shoe Running January 9, 2009 at 12:13 PM  

mmm...that tilapia looks divine!

Branching out into soccer is a fun idea. I'm sure you'll get used to the sprinting soon, that's what bodies do :) They get used to whatever we throw at them!

HangryPants January 9, 2009 at 12:15 PM  

It's amazing how much we "exercise," but how difficult functional tasks like soccer can still be. Just shows, I think, how our bodies can get used to one thing, ya know! I am sure you will improve.

My background is a family picture - me and my nieces. :D

Anonymous January 9, 2009 at 3:20 PM  

awww cute pic of your doggie! mine is a wedding picture :)

Anonymous January 9, 2009 at 3:29 PM  

That sounds like a seriously intense game! Yikes!
Mine is Obama. :)

Elizabeth January 9, 2009 at 5:35 PM  

Ugh. I hate that feeling when you are exercising. I'm glad you made it, though. Those gyozas from TJs look good. Are they low in calorie?

Lori January 9, 2009 at 5:44 PM  

That mushroom looks so tasty. You are always reminding me of things I need to fix. :)

I got a new laptop so right now it is some bamboo that comes on the computer. Usually it is either a place I just traveled to or one I'm getting ready to go to. Most recently a Capybara I took a picture of at a park in Curitiba Brazil. :)

Caitlin January 9, 2009 at 7:26 PM  

Isn't it amazing how you can feel in shape, and then go play soccer and feel like you've never gotten off the couch? I feel the same way, it's a humbling experience:)

Bridget January 9, 2009 at 10:27 PM  

wow reading about your soccer game made me tired haha! Go you!! Yum those TJ's potstickers are so good...I have some in my freezer!

Meghann January 9, 2009 at 11:01 PM  

Great question!

My background picture right now is the family photo in front of the tree at christmas

Anonymous January 10, 2009 at 1:43 PM  

Hi Lauren - Thanks for the comment on my blog! I love your question about desktop backgrounds. I change mine all the time to go with the holiday or season. In December I had a photo of a red wrapped present. Now I have a snow covered forest. It's like my calendar! :-)

lauren January 10, 2009 at 2:06 PM  

juliet/they are not to bad for you actually. especially if you steam them. We pan fried them in a little evoo. Here is the link to the nutrition facts I could find:

http://www.thedailyplate.com/nutrition-calories/food/trader-joes/chicken-gyoza-potstickers

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP