1.23.2009

Friday Catchup (1.23.2009)

First off, I received an award and wanted to send a big THANK YOU to Lori over at Fake Food Free. I happen to think her blog is fabulous also. She describes herself as a "realistic nutritionist" and is all about having a healthy balance with real food. Sounds perfect to me, so I really enjoy reading her tips! She loves to travel and I think that adds a special "something, something" to her posts because you get to see all the delicious eats from different places she visits.

Food

Dinner on Tuesday night was Mediterranean Crusted Salmon with Sun-dried Tomatoes and Pine Nuts. I went the easy route on this one.
I overcooked this a tad, but it still had good flavor. I am slowly getting back into salmon since I had a bad case of food poisoning a year or so ago after eating a bad piece.
The fish was served with steamed cauliflower that I seasoned with smart balance, parsley, and fresh parmesan.
Wednesday night, we went out to dinner and I had a chicken caesar wrap with steamed veggies. No pics, but I wanted to share because I was proud of myself for saying "no" to the fries. I love fries - like really LOVE them. But I want to try and cut down to just having them as part of a splurge meal every now and then.

Last night, I cooked up a quick stir-fry using Trader Joes Beijan Style frozen veggies, thinly-sliced chicken, Soy Vay Teriyaki sauce, and brown rice.
It turned out pretty good, but I just wasn't into the chicken, so I picked around it. I decided to bake up some tofu using the Soy Vay sauce as a marinade so I could get some protein. These little cubes were caramelized and delicious.

Breakfast this morning was oatmeal. I am all out of fruit, so this combination included:

  • 1/2 c oats
  • 1/2 c vanilla soy milk
  • sprinkle of brown sugar
  • spoonful of part-skim ricotta
  • spoonful almond butter
  • pecans
Mmm. Mmm. Deeeelish. I ate my oatmeal while checking out some new reading material - Cooking Light. A Christmas present from my friend Carolyn that just arrived last night. There are a ton of delicious recipes, so expect to see some in the near future.

Workouts

Last week, I talked about the training program I started and am proud to say that I am keeping up with it! I put together this handy-dandy spreadsheet to help me track my progress against the plan. Here's a peek:
You may have to enlarge it to actually read it. Items highlighted in green have been completed.

I am playing indoor soccer on Wednesday nights, but last week, our team had a bye. This week the game was at 9pm and after my Tuesday run, my lower back was killing me. I ended up going to the gym earlier on Wednesday to do light cardio and a little lifting (not anywhere near my back), but didn't think playing indoor soccer would be a good idea.

Polar Bear Plunge

Tomorrow is the Polar Bear Plunge and I am still nervous. Today is a beautiful day and the temperature is up in the 50s. Why cant it be like that tomorrow?! The temperature is supposed to drop all day tomorrow.

Our plan is to get there around 10am and tailgate until the plunge at 1pm. I am going to layer up, so that I can decide what I want to wear for the actual "plunge" right before. I will probably end up wearing my triathlon outfit. Tri shorts and a wick-away tank. Oh and my scuba booties because someone told me I definitely need something on my feet.

If you have time, check out some of the pictures on the Plunge site. http://www.plungemd.com/

It looks like it is going to be a blast.

What are you all up to this weekend? After the plunge, my goal is to get warm. Then, get some housekeeping done around the blog...and my house!

20 comments:

Anonymous January 23, 2009 at 4:14 PM  

yay for your award! and GOOD LUCK with the polarplunge! it's going to be an awesome experience, and i can't wait to hear all about it! for the tickets to the show, i just went onto her website, and then theres a tab that is like, be an audience member, and you sign up and if you get the tickets they email you like 3 weeks in advance! do it! it was so much fun :)

LizNoVeggieGirl January 23, 2009 at 4:15 PM  

Congratulations on the well-deserved blog award; and best of luck with the plunge!! :-D

Anonymous January 23, 2009 at 4:16 PM  

oh and if you're interested... maybe one night next week we can meet there for a yoga class!

Anonymous January 23, 2009 at 4:27 PM  

well tonight i'm going to the charm city yoga, and the other one is called lifeline yoga, so we'll both be new there. heres the website for the lifeline yoga http://www.lifelinepoweryoga.com/ it says its for all levels, and i'm really a beginner too! we'll both be newbies!!

Rose January 23, 2009 at 4:29 PM  

I love the spreadsheet idea - very good way to keep yourself motivated, for sure :)

Anonymous January 23, 2009 at 4:58 PM  

congrats on your award! I just read through that Cooking Light issue today...the slow cooker chili recipe in there looks so good.

I'm from VA, and its going to be kinda chilly tomorrow - so no polar plunge for me! I'm going to hopefully see a movie tomorow night - those are my BIG plans

Unknown January 23, 2009 at 5:06 PM  

Good luck tomorrow! Did you get the donation I did for you? At least it'll be in the 30's tomorrow and not 8 degrees like last week!

Make sure to have some hot tea or hot chocolate ready!

Erica January 23, 2009 at 5:29 PM  

Good luck with the plunge, I cannot wait to hear how it goes!! Don't you just love cauliflower? I always forget how much I enjoy eating it!Have a great night :)

Anonymous January 23, 2009 at 5:44 PM  

Tofu looks better than the chicken...way to make what YOU really wanted!

Good job on avoiding the fries too =)

I love Cooking Light. Is it bad that I sometimes healthify their healthy recipes?

We want pictures of your PLUNGE!

Anonymous January 23, 2009 at 6:07 PM  

Congrats on your award and that tofu looks delish!! Good luck tomorrow - if you tailgate enough you won't feel it as bad ;)

Anonymous January 23, 2009 at 6:08 PM  

Good Luck on the plunge tomorrow!!

Congratz on the fries. I think they are my favorite food, but I gave up ordering them a long time ago. For awhile it was fine because my hubby would get them and I would have one or two. Now he's all healthy too so no more fries. A small sacrifice for his health!

Anonymous January 23, 2009 at 7:19 PM  

You are going to have a blast at the polar bear plunge! Make sure you take pictures. I am so jealous that you are playing soccer.

EL January 23, 2009 at 8:41 PM  

Good luck with the plunge. Did you go to yoga? I use to be addicted to Bikram Yoga but I just cannot afford it anymore. I haven't done yoga in 4 years and I miss it. I just found out there is a donation based yoga studio on Eastern Ave., Parkside Power Yoga. I think I am going to try it out.

Anonymous January 23, 2009 at 9:24 PM  

Good luck with the Plunge!!

Unknown January 23, 2009 at 9:42 PM  

Have fun penguin :) and congrats on the award!

Jen (Running with Food) January 24, 2009 at 9:07 AM  

Good luck with the plunge, girly! Having a few drinks beforehand should help with the courage-factor! Heehee! HAVE FUN!!

Meghann January 24, 2009 at 10:57 AM  

Fries are always my weakness too. I can't help it they're my aboslute fave. If I don;t order them I always make sure someone else at the table is ordering them so I can steal a couple.

Can't wait to hear about the polar plunge... you are so brave! :)

elise January 24, 2009 at 2:59 PM  

congrats on the award! your workouts look awesome. youre lucky to have the weather for such variety in your exercise (jealous)!!

btw your tofu looks SO perfectly browned. nom nom.

Lori January 24, 2009 at 4:11 PM  

Thanks so much for the kind words. I enjoy your blog and you definitely deserve the award. Did I mention my husband loves it too? He is more of a runner than I and likes reading about all your running stuff. He's training to do a 105km relay around an island here in Brazil in April.

I hope the plunge goes/went well!!!

I Run for Fun January 24, 2009 at 7:52 PM  

Lovely stir fry. Congratulations on keeping up with the workouts!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP