1.28.2009

Foodie Help Needed (1.28.2009)

Last night I managed to run 5 miles on the treadmill. My legs were sore from the squats and lunges on Monday night, so the fact that I even made it to the gym is a miracle.

  • Warm-up: 10 mins
  • 4 x 800 interval pick-ups, with 90 second rest intervals
  • Cool down: 20 mins
For the intervals, I would increase my speed by 1. So, if my comfort/normal speed is 6.0 - I would push it to 7.0 for 1/2 mile. I was supposed to do 6 intervals, but my legs were so tired and I couldn't push-it any further.


I came home and made a simple, but filling dinner. Broccoli and Tofu.


After pressing the tofu to remove the excess liquid, I baked them for 20 mins at 400 degrees. Flipping once. I used the Soy Vay Teriyaki sauce again and they turned out delish.
I never thought I would EVER say that I really like tofu. I am actually starting to crave it. WEIRD.



I sauteed broccoli with a little butter, garlic, and pepper. I drizzled lemon juice on before eating. yum.
A little later, I decided I wanted some popcorn. I popped a 100 calorie bag of kettle corn. The bag felt like it had nothing to it when I was putting it in the microwave, but it popped a ton.
This morning, I woke up to ICE and lots of it. I wish I could say that I am typing this from home, but my boss sent an email last night that she wasn't going to be authorizing working from home unless the building was closed. Our building never closes. So if I wanted to stay home - I would have to take the day off. UGH.


I decided to wait for the ice the melt and roads to be cleaned up before coming into work. Oscar got a long, slippery walk in the park. He fell a few times and I couldn't help but laugh - poor guy. He loves this weather though, so snow/ice angels were in full effect.


I took my time getting to work. I stopped by my local coffee shop and got my new favorite morning drink - Green Tea Latte w/ Honey.


Basically, they take a green tea bag and steep it in a little water. Then, they add steamed skim milk and a squirt or two of honey. yum.


Good thing I had my tea because I was in my car for about 20 minutes waiting for the ice to melt on my front wind shield. I found another way to take care of the ice on my windows. (Obviously I don't have an ice scrapper.)

As I rolled down the windows, the ice stayed put, so I would punch it out. It was fun.

Ok, so I need your foodie help.

This week is Restaurant week in Baltimore. You get to choose 3 courses from a special menu for a fixed price. Kevin and I have reservations at b, a Bolton Hill Bistro for dinner tomorrow night which we chose because they had a ton of choices. But now, looking at the menu - I am completely overwhelmed!

Here are the options:

First Course (Choice of one)
  • Soup: Cannellini Bean with Lardons~
  • Warm Crotin de Chavignol with Arugula, Fennel, Candied Pecans and Apple Cider Dressing~
  • Panzanella Salad of Rustic Italian Bread, Marinated Tomatoes, Capers, Red Onion tossed w/ Aged Balsamic & EVOO~
  • Pumpkin Stuffed Ravioliwith Pancetta and Sage Brown Butter~
  • Rhode Island Calamari sautéed in House Tomato Sauce over Grilled Polenta~
  • Roasted Beet Salad w/ Toasted Walnuts, Chevre and Mache~
  • Fried OystersCaper Aioli, Arugula and Fennel Salad~

Second Course (Choice of one)

  • Slow Roasted Lamb Ragout over Fettuccine~
  • "b" House Ravioli: Roasted Vegetable and Ricotta Ravioli tossed in brown Sage Butter & Parmesan Cheese topped w/ Basil, Tomato & House Marinara~
  • Gnocchi w/ Shrimp: Potato Dumplings with Jumbo Shrimp, Zucchini & Saffron Cream~
  • Pan Seared Arctic Char with Butternut Squash Risotto and Crispy Hen of the Woods Mushrooms~
  • Grilled Japanese Sea Bass with Saffron Aioli, Sautéed Spinach and Olive Oil Mashed Potatoes~
  • Grilled Branzini over Cremini Mushrooms, Arugula & Parmesan Salad finished w/ Lemon Infused Olive Oil~
  • Duck Confit with Cannellini Bean Ragout, Gremolata, and Veal Reduction~
  • Grilled Leg of Lamb Steak with Nebbiolo Demi Glaze, Sautéed Kale and Pancetta, Roasted Fingerling Potatoes~
  • Grilled Flat Iron Steak with Green Peppercorn Cream Sauce, Asiago Mashed Potatoes and Caramelized Wild Mushrooms~

Third Course (Choice of one)

  • b Bread Pudding
  • Crème Brulee with homemade Cookies
  • Pot De Crème with Homemade Cookies
  • Lemon Sabayon Tart, Burnt Meringue and Raspberry Preserves
  • Milk Chocolate and Peanut Butter Gianduja, Crispy Feulletine, Blood Orange Gelee and Banana Custard
  • Caramelized Banana Tart, Almond Cream, Golden Raisin Caramel and toasted Cardamom Ice Cream
  • Ice Cream Plate:Fresh Made Profiteroles served with any of our House made Ice Creams and Salted Caramel (Ice Cream Flavors: vanilla, nutella, mocha, panna cotta, olive oil, amaretto, pistachio, bacio, fragola)

Can you see why this is SO hard?! Everything sounds INCREDIBLE...and I don't even know what half the things actually are. ;)

Please let me know what you would choose, so hopefully it will help me decide!!

26 comments:

Erica January 28, 2009 at 12:42 PM  

Oh my! That ice looks crazy! The tea drink sounds really yummy- I am really starting to have a love for honey. Tough choices on the menu! I think I'd do the white bean soup, gnocchi and shrimp, and either the banana or the ice cream platter dessert! I'm sure it will be good regardless of what you get! Take pics for us!!

Anonymous January 28, 2009 at 1:02 PM  

hope you can drive home safe!

alright, now...what an incredible menu! I would want everything!

first course: either the pumpkin ravioli or Panzanella salad

second course: either the pan seared arctic char, gnocchi with shrimp, or the grilled flat iron steak

third course: (aka the best course): caramelized banana tart or the milk chocolate and peanut butter Gianduja

have a wonderful time!

LizNoVeggieGirl January 28, 2009 at 1:08 PM  

GET ALL THE DESSERTS!! :-D

Lo January 28, 2009 at 1:12 PM  

i say go for the duck confit bc i had duck recently and its awesome...truly a once in a lifetime experience...as for appetizers go for the fried oysters (awesome) or pumpkin ravioli!! and dessert you should do the peanut butter thing :)

Fitnessista January 28, 2009 at 1:34 PM  

what an AWESOME workout
that menu is incredible!
heres what i would get:
Roasted Beet Salad w/ Toasted Walnuts, Chevre and Mache
Grilled Japanese Sea Bass with Saffron Aioli, Sautéed Spinach and Olive Oil Mashed Potatoes
Pot De Crème with Homemade Cookies
if kevin ditches you, let me know-- i'll be your date haha

tfh January 28, 2009 at 1:47 PM  

I can't imagine what I would have done without an ice scraper today! The punching was ingenious. So many yummy choices there-- I would probably go for the arctic char main course because I love hen of the woods 'shrooms and butternut squash.

Amelia January 28, 2009 at 2:17 PM  

Wow that's an extensive menu! I'd say the pumpkin ravioli, gnocchi and shrimp, and the banana dessert. It all sounds wonderful though!

healthy ashley January 28, 2009 at 2:35 PM  

Ahh, that would be hard!

I'm craving tofu right now. I'm stopping by Whole Foods to pick some up after work! And I cook it the same way you do!

Anonymous January 28, 2009 at 2:40 PM  

Nice work on the run. I've noticed that its super easy to get stuck in my paceon the treadmill and so its nice to push it sometimes!

I'm getting to be the same way with the tofu, in fact, I'm making it tonight!!!

Beet salad, roasted veggie ravioli and
chocolate peanut butter whatever (does it matter?).

Anonymous January 28, 2009 at 2:49 PM  

ohhhhh
pumpkin ravioli
Arctic Char with Butternut Squash Risotto and Crispy Hen of the Woods Mushrooms
b Bread Pudding
YUMMMMMMMMM what a menu!!!!!!

Anonymous January 28, 2009 at 3:14 PM  

wow thats such a hard choice!

first course: Crotin de Chavignol or Panzanella Salad

second course: Gnocchi w/ Shrimp or Pan Seared Arctic Char

third course: Lemon or Banana Tart

i have no idea how you're going to choose one of each! but i'm pretty sure what ever you choose will be great.

Meghann January 28, 2009 at 3:33 PM  

OMG that is a heard choice!

I would pick

Pumpkin Stuffed Ravioliwith Pancetta and Sage Brown Butter~

Gnocchi w/ Shrimp: Potato Dumplings with Jumbo Shrimp, Zucchini & Saffron Cream~

Milk Chocolate and Peanut Butter Gianduja, Crispy Feulletine, Blood Orange Gelee and Banana Custard

Good Luck!

Lori January 28, 2009 at 5:23 PM  

Oh my, that menu is amazing!

1st: Warm Crotin de Chavignol (love arugula) or Pumpkin Ravioli

2nd: Gnocchi for sure. I've never had it with shrimp. Sounds awesome!

3rd: Creme Brulee

Whatever you decide, know that I am so jealous! :) I don't think you could go wrong with anything. Close your eyes and point. ;)

HangryPants January 28, 2009 at 5:25 PM  

I crave tofu now, too! I really want to make your green tea latte!

Here is what I would get as a non-meat and fish eater.
Cannellini Bean with Lardons (although I don't know what lardons are)
"b" House Ravioli: Roasted Vegetable and Ricotta Ravioli tossed in brown Sage Butter & Parmesan Cheese topped w/ Basil, Tomato & House Marinara~ (I think that's the only option)
Caramelized Banana Tart, Almond Cream, Golden Raisin Caramel and toasted Cardamom Ice Cream

Here is what I would strongly suggest Mark gets so I can steal it:
Pumpkin Stuffed Ravioliwith Pancetta and Sage Brown Butter
Lemon Sabayon Tart, Burnt Meringue and Raspberry Preserves

Have fun and let us know what you all get!!!!

HangryPants January 28, 2009 at 5:25 PM  

I crave tofu now, too! I really want to make your green tea latte!

Here is what I would get as a non-meat and fish eater.
Cannellini Bean with Lardons (although I don't know what lardons are)
"b" House Ravioli: Roasted Vegetable and Ricotta Ravioli tossed in brown Sage Butter & Parmesan Cheese topped w/ Basil, Tomato & House Marinara~ (I think that's the only option)
Caramelized Banana Tart, Almond Cream, Golden Raisin Caramel and toasted Cardamom Ice Cream

Here is what I would strongly suggest Mark gets so I can steal it:
Pumpkin Stuffed Ravioliwith Pancetta and Sage Brown Butter
Lemon Sabayon Tart, Burnt Meringue and Raspberry Preserves

Have fun and let us know what you all get!!!!

Anonymous January 28, 2009 at 6:14 PM  

That sounds so gourmet! Oh lord! I don't know. I like the bean soup, couldn't decide on the entree, but I'd probably get the banana tart!
Have a blast!

K from ksgoodeats January 28, 2009 at 8:07 PM  

Oh my goodness!! Stay safe in the ice - that sounds like a nightmare :(

I'd pick....1. soup or panzanella 2. b house ravioli 3. ice cream plate! It all sounds delish!

Anonymous January 28, 2009 at 9:32 PM  

I would get...

1. Pumpkin Ravioli
2. Shrimp Gnocchi
3. Bread Pudding

This is going to be an epic dinner! Wanna take me with?

I Run for Fun January 28, 2009 at 10:12 PM  

Great workout!

The tofu does look really good and so does the brroccoli.

Hmmm...sorry about the dinner choices...I'm stumped too.

Tyler January 28, 2009 at 10:54 PM  

i'm so jealous!!! that food sounds incredible! great opportunity to try new foods b/c i'm sure they will be expertly prepared!

this is what i would choose:
1. pumpkin ravioli--sounds DIVINE
2. japanese sea bass--i love fish, never tried this kind before
3. caramelized banana tart --when else would you get cardamom ice cream?

there are no bad decisions here! have fun!!

Elizabeth January 29, 2009 at 12:36 AM  

Your tofu looks great! :) I actually just ran 5 miles too. Go us!
As for your menu, can you order one of everything? :)

ChickPea January 29, 2009 at 12:46 AM  

Tofu dishes are kinda like Pringles...once you start, you just can't stop!

Anonymous January 29, 2009 at 1:41 AM  

UM OK you are probably in a food coma from eating this delish meal by now!!! BUUUT i am drooling on my lap top :D SO i'd get: calamari, either gnocchi, arctic char or sea bass, and EVERY dessert- ok for sure the one with peanut butter!! Can't wait to hear, yum!

lauren January 29, 2009 at 8:51 AM  

to all/ Thanks for your help! I have started to narrow it down and I will highly recommend some things for Kevin to order so I can have a bite! ;)

Caitlin at Healthy Tipping Point January 29, 2009 at 10:07 AM  

wow 800 meter sprints? you are an animal!!!

Anonymous January 29, 2009 at 3:52 PM  

Oooh it does all look good!! Definitely the BNS ravioli and the japanese sea bass for me. :) I totally understand your dilemma because it's Chicago restaurant week in 2 weeks and I've made reservations at 3 places!! (I think if you have two choices in mind for each category, try to convince the bf to get the one you don't order so you can try it....i mean...if he wants to of course)

Love your blog and your eats!! :) Thanks for sharing.

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP