1.04.2009

Dessert Wontons

Saturday night, we came back from the beach with a special something-something. A pound of fresh scallops - my favorite!!

We stopped by this secret "hole-in-the-wall" spot, Kool-Ice, right off the highway on the way back from the beach in Cambridge, MD. They have all sorts of fresh seafood and the scallops are incredible.

We started by whipping up a simple red wine mustard vinaigrette using the Vita-Mix 5200 Blender. We added some sauteed shallots after blending. This blender makes it so freakin easy.I prepared a simple red and white endive salad topped with toasted pecans and the vinaigrette.For the scallops, I seasoned half with pepper and the other half with Old Bay - then seared them in extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat. I left them on the first side for about 5 mins, then only about 2 mins on the other side.A close-up of the seared crust - yummm.Steamed brussels sprouts on the side which we topped with sea salt, black pepper (Kevin was sprinkling while i snapped the photo), and some of the mustard vinaigrette. After this delicious dinner, I decided I wanted to try and come up with some sort of dessert. I looked into my empty fridge and saw wonton wrappers that needed to be used up.

I also found ricotta, almond butter, and semi-sweet chocolate chips. Figured it couldn't be a bad combo.

Smear a little almond butter on the wonton wrapper, top it with a small spoonful of ricotta, a few chocolate chips and then a tiny drop of agave nectar.Wrap those up and spray the baking dish and the wonton with PAM. Stick them into a pre-heated oven (350) for about 10 mins or right until the tips are starting to brown.oh man. I only made four of them at first because I didn't want to waste ingredients if they were horrible. After Kevin and I each ate 2 of them - we decided we had to make more. They were THAT good.

We had a great day today (Sunday) - went for a 4-5 mile trail run with Oscar and then watched football at a friend's house. I dont want to go back to work tomorrow!

19 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl January 4, 2009 at 9:06 PM  

FABULOUS!!

Good luck with work tomorrow!!

Anonymous January 4, 2009 at 9:26 PM  

Dessert looked yummy.

Anonymous January 4, 2009 at 9:59 PM  

DELISH, scallops are my fave *fancy* meal- i like the salt sprinkling! And I'm pretty sure those dessert wontons would be my new fave if I tried them.

ChickPea January 4, 2009 at 11:53 PM  

Mmm sweet wontons sound perfect right about...now.

Anonymous January 4, 2009 at 11:59 PM  

Love how you plated the salad! Looks so fancy!

The scallops look amazing!

Mmmm, the dessert sounds awesome!

Shoe Running January 5, 2009 at 12:53 AM  

Those scallops look amazing! And dessert wontons? Thats the craziest idea I've ever heard, but I like it :)

Erica January 5, 2009 at 6:10 AM  

WOW what a great looking dinner. The scallops look golden/perfect! A great end to a fun week for ya'll!

Anonymous January 5, 2009 at 7:53 AM  

Very creative with the dessert wontons. What a great idea! The scallops looked wonderful too.

K from ksgoodeats January 5, 2009 at 9:41 AM  

Love the sprinkling action shot!

GORGEOUS dessert - sounds amazing!

Anonymous January 5, 2009 at 10:51 AM  

You are quite the chef! My god! I mean the endives are perfectly placed and I love them! And wontons?! I'm so impressed!

tfh January 5, 2009 at 11:54 AM  

That looks like a DELICIOUS meal from start to finish. Fresh scallops! Yum. And your improvisational dessert was inspired!

Unknown January 5, 2009 at 2:00 PM  

i'm not a huge fan of scallops, but those dessert wontons?? heck yeah!!

Anonymous January 5, 2009 at 2:06 PM  

Scallops! I love em. I've only recently discovered how awesome they are and it is one discovery that I am more than happy about.

And those wontons... well let's just say I'm pretty pumped at the fact that I have wonton wrappers and now have some ideas about getting creative with them.

HangryPants January 5, 2009 at 3:49 PM  

I love the idea of dessert wantons!

Anonymous January 5, 2009 at 5:27 PM  

OMG - your scallops are absolutely mouth-watering!!

Great idea with the dessert wontons!

Anonymous January 5, 2009 at 6:22 PM  

omg, ur scallops look delectable! and the dessert wontons are making my mouth water!

Lori January 5, 2009 at 7:53 PM  

The salad and scallops look amazing! What a cool idea for the wontons. I've got them in the fridge and some almond butter right now. Hmm....may have to give them a try.

Elizabeth January 5, 2009 at 10:44 PM  

Oh yum!!! Those looks delicious!!! How could something with those ingredients have possibly turned out not delicious? :)

I Run for Fun January 7, 2009 at 2:24 PM  

Gosh, what a way to begin the year! Your creations are simply too good!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP