10.16.2008

The Week After Workouts

Here is a quick collage of some proofs taken from marathon photo. The one of us finishing is funny. My dad is looking at his watch, I am doing something weird with my hands and kevin and pumping his fist.

Since the marathon on Saturday, I haven't been doing much since I feel like my body needed a rest - it has been so hard to get up in the morning because I just feel exhausted!

  • Sunday/Monday: OFF
  • Tuesday: 2 mile light jog (w/Oscar and Kevin) and then did some sets of push-ups and sit-ups and lots of stretching. My legs were still pretty sore.
  • Wednesday: Oscar got a walk in the park and then I came back and did 30 mins of the chest/back P90x workout. (Stayed away from my legs) The guy on this video is extremely annoying and says "...alrighty BOYS and GIRLS..." about 3 thousand times. But it is a good workout and I am sore this morning from all the push-ups! The goal of the P90x workout is to commit to 90 days of these full-body workouts and while I dont plan on committing to this anytime soon, it is a good goal for the future. I just want to get some strength training in while I am gearing up for the marathon. I dont have much soreness left in my legs. Can only feel it slightly in my quads.
  • Tonight/Thursday: My plan is to do the 3 mile run out by my parents house. This will be my first actual run since the marathon on saturday and I am itching to get back out there.
  • Friday: Dog Walks (AM and PM) and some more P90x.
  • Saturday: 1 hour run.
I feel like I am not doing enough, but I do recognize that my body needs a break. I found a few articles about post-marathon recovery that I thought were helpful/interesting. Hope you enjoy.

Recover After Your Race from RunthePlanet
After the Marathon from Runner's World
Breakfast this morning was a good oatmeal combo that I thought I would share:
  • 1/2 c oats
  • 1/2 c skim milk
  • 1/2 veeery ripe banana
  • some raisins
  • few sprinkles of cinnamon
  • 1/3 scoop of vanilla protein powder
  • 1 spoonful of fig jam
  • 1 spoonful of almond butter
I was a big fan of adding in the vanilla protein powder for some extra protein - have been seeing this on alot of blogs and really enjoyed the flavor it gave to the oatmeal. Sorry this isnt the best picture - I had started to mix everything together and then remembered to take a picture!
I brought an apple, Stoneyfield vanilla yogurt with GoLean kashi Crunch, and a PB Cookie Larabar for snacks, but havent felt hungry for anything yet! I am craving some salad today (weird! ha), so plan on going out to get a big one with grilled chicken from Buon Giorno for lunch!

9 comments:

Anonymous October 16, 2008 at 12:46 PM  

I need this fig jam!

LizNoVeggieGirl October 16, 2008 at 1:38 PM  

Great workouts and eats (HELL YES FOR FIG JAM AND PB COOKIE LARABARS!!).

Anonymous October 16, 2008 at 2:45 PM  

Great photos! Good luck on your first post-marathon run!

Aron October 16, 2008 at 3:24 PM  

i sat on my butt the entire week after SFM... then i tried to run that sat but it hurt so i sat on my butt some more the next week :) you definitely deserve a break!!

so fun to have all 3 of you in the finish pic!!

Caitlin at Healthy Tipping Point October 16, 2008 at 3:46 PM  

its hard to rest when you are so used to running all the time... but its just as important! GL!

HangryPants October 16, 2008 at 5:24 PM  

Very exciting pictures! You can tell you look so happy!

Anonymous October 16, 2008 at 7:19 PM  

I have done nothng since the marathon! However, I plan on going out for a run on Saturday. I feel like I could run, but I want to miss running and relax a bit.

Fun pictures.

Unknown October 16, 2008 at 9:20 PM  

hey! thanks so much for the comment on my blog-- it helped me to find yours :D
CONGRATS on the marathon. that's amazing!! i'm running a half in march and will definitely be looking to you for inspiration :D
protein powder in oats is sooo delicious!!!
have a wonderful night!

lauren October 17, 2008 at 11:45 AM  

Erin/veggiegirl: ok - I am going to give grandmom a call and see what her fig jam stash is looking like - then I could do a giveaway! :)

all/ good points and I definitely need rest, after running last night and "feeling" my hamstring, I realize that even more!

gina/ thanks for the comment! Cant wait to follow the preparations up to your half marathon!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP