10.13.2008

Thankful...

I know that I havent been posting about anything since race day and then the morning after, so I just wanted to explain why. Yesterday afternoon (sunday), my mom was in a biking accident. She, my dad, and their friend had gone for a bike ride along this trail and while she was crossing a bridge - realized that there were large gaps between the metal plates covering the bridge. She ended up falling off her bike near the edge of the bridge and slid through the side of the bridge, falling 10-12 feet below.

I cant imagine how the moments that followed must have been horrible and scary for my father and their friend, especially since they were not in the most easily accessible area. I got a call from my dad as they were loading her into the ambulance. We rushed to meet them at the hospital and were relieved/happy to hear that she was going to be OK. My mom landed between 2 huge rocks that had to be removed for the ambulance folks to get her out and up the hill/ravine.

We spent most of sunday in the ER and after all of the tests, scans, and x-rays were done - we were astounded/thankful to hear that she only broke her right hand. She definitely took a beating though - with a cut lip, bruised face, cut up knees/elbows, bruised back, etc, etc.

It was such a fluke/scary thing that happened and it made me realize how much I have to be thankful for. I am so thankful that she was wearing her helmet and fell the way she did so there were not more serious injuries. I am thankful that my dad and their friend were there with her and had cell phones to call for help. I am thankful that the security guard came along and was able to tell the ambulance how to get to where they were back in the woods. But I am most thankful that my mom's guardian angel was hanging out with her yesterday. :)

10 comments:

Simple and Divine October 13, 2008 at 10:34 PM  

OH M G-D. THANKFUL. No other word for it. I'll b praying for your mom and your family until she gets better!! You're in my heart, Laur! Do you guys need anything???

Anonymous October 13, 2008 at 11:59 PM  

Wow, I am very thankful for that guardian angel, too. I'm glad to hear that it's not serious but am very sorry that it happened and will definitely be keeping your mom and your family in my thoughts and prayers this week.

Anonymous October 14, 2008 at 7:45 AM  

I am so glad to hear that your mom is ok. It is a good thing that she was wearing her helmet. How scary for you all. Hope she has a speedy recovery. I'll be thinking of her.

LizNoVeggieGirl October 14, 2008 at 7:51 AM  

Oh my goodness gracious - THANK GOODNESS that your mom is okay!! I'm praying that all stays well. Hang in there, please.

Zesty Cook October 14, 2008 at 8:50 AM  

Oh WOW - thankful is right. make sure you keep us posted. I am glad to hear that she is doing ok. Helmets are a good thing!

Rose October 14, 2008 at 9:24 AM  

Sending good thoughts your way. I hope you're doing ok...

Anonymous October 14, 2008 at 9:38 AM  

Wow, that's unbelievable. Your Mom was truly lucky to come out of that with only a broken wrist. I am so glad to hear she and everyone else are ok. I can't imagine what must have been going through you head. I know I would have been going crazy. Thankful is truly the right word for the occasion adn this should remind us to be thankful each and everyday in our lives.

Anonymous October 14, 2008 at 11:22 AM  

That's HORRBILY SCARY! But I am soooooooooo glad your mother is okay! I saw you ran the Balt. marathon, so if you are in the MD area and your fam needs some meals while your mom recovers, I'm HAPPY to helps. shoot me an email. She's in my prayers for a quick recovery! :)

Aron October 14, 2008 at 11:58 AM  

omg wow... that is SO scary! i am so glad she is ok and i hope she heals up very fast!! GAH i cant even imagine.

Unknown October 16, 2008 at 7:29 AM  

Scary! I am glad to hear she is ok!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP