10.25.2008

Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes (10.25.2008)

This is my all-time favorite potato recipe. It is taken from the Southern Living recipe, but I did change the recipe to use all milk and omitted the whipping cream. Tried to lighten it up a little bit. Plus, I like mine spicier, so I added more ground red and black pepper! I promise that if you show up with this to any potluck or holiday meal - all will swoon. ENJOY! :)

  • 2-3 pounds red potatoes, unpeeled
  • 3 tablespoons butter (I used unsalted)
  • 1/3 cup chopped green onions
  • 1/3 cup chopped red bell pepper
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (I just eyed this and probably used more)
  • 3 cups 2% milk
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper (definitely used more here also)
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Let's get this party started...

Put potatoes through food processor/slicer and they become perfect extra thin potatoes. Chop green onions, red pepper, and mince garlic. Pretty colors...Melt butter in a heavy bottom pot over medium-high heat; add green onions, red pepper, garlic, and ground red pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes.

I use this stuff...

Add milk and S&P, stirring well.

Add potato slices; Bring to a boil over medium heat, and cook, stirring gently, 15 minutes or until potato slices are tender. It thickens up nicely. (Make sure you are stirring pretty constantly because there have been times when this has stuck to the bottom of the pan)

In the meantime, grate swiss cheese, if needed. I dont currently have a cheese grater, so I dug out my handy dandy magic bullet. This thing works wonders. I started with this:

Then threw it into the bullet... (hello acorn squash in the background - i need to use you soon!)

Then I magically had this:

Spoon into a lightly greased (sprayed with PAM) 9x13 glass baking dish; sprinkle with cheeses.

Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. (I bet mine when an extra 10 mins to get it nice and brown on top! Let stand 15 minutes before serving.

ahhh...i want to dig into this sooo badly, but I have to wait...potluck with friends tonight!

7 comments:

Unknown October 25, 2008 at 5:50 PM  

i don't even LIKE potatoes.. and i'm drooling
i'll have to remember this one to make for the pilot when he gets back- he would love it
have fun at the potluck!

Bridget October 25, 2008 at 9:58 PM  

omg...that looks incredible! I've only had scallop potatoes a few times and they are sooo good, but always seem so bad for me...I will definitely have to try this one!

Anonymous October 25, 2008 at 10:35 PM  

Ooh la la fairchild! (I don't know what the fairchild part means, but my mom used to say that.)
I love the bubbly cheesy top!
People are gonna stampede to your dish!

Anonymous October 26, 2008 at 1:43 AM  

Um, my guess is that your dish was the hit of the potluck! It looks incredible :o) And I can't tell you how much I enjoy the step-by-step process. I love when we are actually able to create the recipe with you!

Hope you had fun :o)

runjen October 26, 2008 at 2:30 AM  

Holy Deliciousness! That looks so good. I am for sure making that for our next carry in at work.

Anonymous October 26, 2008 at 8:16 AM  

I love potatoes and cheese in any form!! This looks absolutely delicious! I am sure it was a big hit at the potluck.

Anonymous October 26, 2008 at 9:07 AM  

hope your potluck was fun - they are fun get togethers :)

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP