2.26.2009

Quick & Easy

I woke up yesterday with a sore throat...it slowly turned into a cough that made my head pound. My nose isn't running at all...it is all in my throat. Needless to say, I didnt run last night (Wednesday). I have been guzzling water and tea and hope to get this thing out of me ASAP.

Backing up a little bit, Tuesday night, I decided to finish my taxes instead of heading to the gym. Turbo Tax makes it easy. Anyways, I did still manage to fit in a 40 min Jillian Michaels workout - Trouble Zones - courtesy of Exercise TV, on demand. I am really liking her workouts.

Tuesday was a quick and easy dinner - Roasted Red Pepper ravioli from Dipasquales. They have a freezer section with a large variety of their homemade pastas, so I had stocked up the last time I was there. Topped with marinara and grated parm.
In an effort to get in some "green" - I also steamed up the rest of my frozen edamame and sprinkled with a little sea salt.
After dinner, since I was low on salad and sandwich stuff to pack for lunches, I came up with a quick & easy CousCous dish.

Ingredients

  • 1 box Pine Nut Cous Cous (follow directions on box, I use the Near East brand)
  • 3 small zucchini, chopped
  • 1 can marinated bean salad from Trader Joes
  • gorgonzola crumbles to taste
Directions
  1. Cook CousCous according to box directions.
  2. Saute chopped zucchini in a tsp of smart balance, over medium-high heat, until tender.
  3. Remove zucchini from pan.
  4. Drain beans, but reserve liquid.
  5. Add bean salad and some liquid (eyeball it) to the same pan zucchini was cooked in. Cook over medium-high heat until liquid reduces.
  6. Mix everything together.
This was perfect to heat up the next day for lunch. There are so many things that can be added to this mixture. I used what I had on hand, but chicken sausage would be incredible in this. Actually, that just reminded me that I made a variation on this dish awhile back. Check it out HERE, if you are interested.

I am extremely flattered to have received the following award from Rose, @ On a Lobster Placemat. Her blogs is one of my favorites because she is SO creative! I always look forward to reading what she has to say and seeing what she's eating. She has a new and amazing oatmeal combination pretty much every day - seriously. Thanks Rose!

Last, but not least, don't forget to comment on my Hunger Takes No Holiday post! :)

20 comments:

Rose February 26, 2009 at 12:29 PM  

Sorry to hear you're feeling a bit under the weather. Rest up!

Thanks for the sweet compliment. Your blog is definitely one of my favs. I come here when I need some running inspiration, and it always works!

Every Gym's Nightmare February 26, 2009 at 12:32 PM  

feel better!

I havent had pasta in a while- i think ravioli is on the menu for tonight!

Kelly Turner
www.everygymsnightmare.com

Anonymous February 26, 2009 at 1:41 PM  

Feel better soon!

That ravioli looks so good!

Balance, Joy and Delicias! February 26, 2009 at 2:11 PM  

hope you feel better soon!

tfh February 26, 2009 at 2:36 PM  

That marinated bean salad from TJ's is my favorite to toss in everything-- I haven't been able to find it for the past few weeks and I'm glad to see it still exists!

Anonymous February 26, 2009 at 3:19 PM  

feel better! and you totaly deserve that award :) love your blog!! we must meet sometime for a meal in baltimore, we're so close!!

camtim42 February 26, 2009 at 3:27 PM  

Your CousCous looks so yummy!! I hope you feel better soon. I have the sniffles and its so frustrating b/c I've been so careful about taking my vitamins and getting enough sleep. Oh well- sometimes the germies take over >:-( I hope its runs its course and you start feeling better soon!!!

Lori February 26, 2009 at 4:35 PM  

That couscous looks so great. I think I would love that marinated bean salad.

Congrats on your award and I hope you start feeling better soon!

Anonymous February 26, 2009 at 5:21 PM  

I hope you get better soon Lauren! :/
Congratulations on your award. :) Your blog is a fave.

Unknown February 26, 2009 at 5:47 PM  

hope you feel better soon!! i was sick a week or so ago... luckily it ran its course quickly. i wish i had more of my edamame ravioli for dinner now :)

Anonymous February 26, 2009 at 8:50 PM  

Feel better soon.
The couscous looks yummy.
And, thanks for the reminder that I need to do my taxes!

I Run for Fun February 26, 2009 at 10:46 PM  

Hope you feel better soon! Tea and water are the way to go...and if you get a chance, look up 'sukku kapi' at the Indian store...it really works!

Congrats on the award!

ChickPea February 27, 2009 at 12:57 AM  

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well...that salad would make me feel lots better:)

lauren February 27, 2009 at 7:55 AM  

dailygoods/ yes! we should - you are planning on going to the meet-up that Rose is planning, right?

runningyogini/no kidding! i think its the germ thing that got me because a number of people at my work have the same thing - ugh!

ttfn300/edamame ravioli? i need to get some!

i run for fun/ I may have to stop a store today!

Jen (Running with Food) February 27, 2009 at 8:15 AM  

I love your couscous creation! I agree that chicken sausage would be a fabulous addition.

Hope you are feeling better soon, girl! Happy day!

Anonymous February 27, 2009 at 8:43 AM  

oh nooo!!! I hope you feel better-i don't want to worry you but it's EXACTLY what I've had for the last 5 days!!! Make sure you take some sort of over-the-counter stuff esp for nighttime so you don't have pain when you sleep!

Anonymous February 27, 2009 at 10:33 AM  

I am feeling the same way. I hope it passes soon.

Anonymous February 27, 2009 at 5:36 PM  

I hope you are feeling much better. Don't push it with the running or the eats until you are 100%. Seriously.

Anonymous February 27, 2009 at 10:32 PM  

feel better! at least its the weekend so you can just take it easy. congrats on the award!

Aron March 1, 2009 at 6:31 PM  

hope you are feeling better!!! this stupid cold season is getting everyone :(

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP