2.14.2009

Valentine's 10k & Bee Pollen (2.14.2009)

Check this out...Yup. It was a hilly 10k, but it was beautiful scenery. We ran on a very secluded road in the middle of Loch Raven Reservoir.

There were probably about 40 people at the start and most of them looked extremely serious and hard-core. I whispered to Kevin that we needed to make sure we weren't last. Goal for the race: relax and enjoy it, but not be last!

The race was very low-key, but they had one water stop in the middle of the course that we hit twice since it was an out and back.

As we hit the turn-around cone at 3.1 miles, the guy called out that we were at 29 mins. Considering all the hills, we were happy with a 29 min 5k.

My legs felt strong and I was thinking about all the lunges and squats I have been doing - those really do make a difference.

We were on the way back to the finish - but we knew we had a big climb to get through. We stayed steady up the hills and ended up finishing the race right under 60 mins - 59:58 is the last time I looked at the clock. Not too shabby.I made sure to rock some Valentine's Day colors. :)

We went out to breakfast afterwards at the Paper Moon Diner. This place has a SUPER eclectic atmosphere and is just plain cool. Oh and Charm City Cakes is right around the corner. The Food Network show, Ace of Cakes, is filmed there, but unfortunately there was no Duff spotting.

We started with coffee in my favorite kind of diner mug.I ordered the Tofu Scramble for my meal. The tofu was sauteed with garlic, lemon, spinach, and mushrooms. Wheat toast on the side. I ate every bite. It had great flavor. Definitely something I want to try and re-create.

After eating at Paper Moon, we stopped by Mill Valley Garden Center and Farmer's Market right around the corner. There wasnt much to choose from, but we picked up some yellow onions and this...Bee Pollen! I asked the lady a bunch of questions about it that she couldn't really answer, so I figured it was worth the risk and bought it. I came home and did some quick Internet research.

Obviously, if you have bee allergies - you should stay away. A few things I found out about Bee Pollen:

  • Some of the bee pollen benefits have to do with the fact that bee pollen has high concentrations of the B vitamin complex, and also contains Vitamins A, C, D, and E. [Source]
  • It contains one of the highest protein levels known to mankind. [on the jar]
  • In some cultures bee pollen is even used as an aphrodisiac. [on the jar]
  • It acts very effectively as a natural energizer for your body. [Source]
I tend to be skeptical when it comes to stuff that sounds too good to be true - because it probably is:
  • Many people claim that the list of benefits is almost endless, but a lot have yet to be proven. [Source]
  • Promoters call bee pollen "the perfect food" and stress that it contains all of the essential amino acids and many vitamins and minerals. However, none of these nutrients offers any magic, and all are obtained easily and less expensively from conventional foods. [Source]
I tried a small taste and it was crunchy and had a weird flavor. I really don't know how to explain the taste. Maybe a little like protein powder, but more like I was eating a plant or something.

So, I am wondering - do any of you know anything about this so-called, "Super Food" - Bee Pollen? Good or Bad?

21 comments:

Amelia February 14, 2009 at 5:06 PM  

I have NEVER heard of this! Very intriguing. Do you know what kind of stuff you do with it? Or do you just add it to anything for a vitamin boost?

Happy Valentine's Day!

LizNoVeggieGirl February 14, 2009 at 5:21 PM  

FABULOUS race!!

Happy V Day!!

lauren February 14, 2009 at 5:40 PM  

amelia/The bottle says to take a 1/2 tsp in the morning and another around 3pm for the first week. Then adjust accordingly there after. But yeah - i am going to look that up - maybe sprinkle it on some oatmeal? I am going to keep looking online for more information and will let you know!

Tyler February 14, 2009 at 6:14 PM  

that's so interesting! i've never heard of bee pollen as a super food...maybe you could bake with it?

great job on the race!

Anonymous February 14, 2009 at 7:06 PM  

Nice job on the 10K especially with all the hills!

Anonymous February 14, 2009 at 7:47 PM  

great run :D!

Anonymous February 14, 2009 at 7:53 PM  

Nice race! That meal looks awesome too. I've been meaning to try scrambled tofu!

Erica February 14, 2009 at 9:39 PM  

Great job on the 10k! I think its great that you guys run together (the picture is so super cute). I also agree that lunges and squats really do help so much with running!

ChickPea February 15, 2009 at 1:04 AM  

I admire you for completing the run...and being willing to try bee pollen!

BTW, that tofu scramble looks amazing!

Anonymous February 15, 2009 at 2:24 AM  

What an awesome race and fun way to celebrate Valentine's Day with your love!

I have heard nothing but good things about bee pollen. I know that a lot of female body builders supplement with it, and just how you said, by adding it to oats, but I haven't tried it myself.

lauren February 15, 2009 at 7:44 AM  

sarah/oh good to know - thanks! I just dont want to be a big body builder though. ;)

MacDuff February 15, 2009 at 9:44 AM  

My coworker is a beekeeper, and the benefits of eating real pollen are EXTENSIVE. If you have allergies, eating small amounts of pollen can actually help you because you're essentially using it as an antibiotic. And people come to my coworker with arthritis, and he lets the bees sting their knuckles/knees. They swear it helps them. It's really fascinating. Don't EVER buy crap honey again. Honestly.

And your 10k was FABULOUS, and I love your outfit! You are super girl!

lauren February 15, 2009 at 10:38 AM  

macduff/nice! great info...appreciate it...

Alison February 15, 2009 at 12:25 PM  

Hey, I've been reading for awhile, but never commented :) I worked a smoothie shop/supplement store all through high school and bee pollen was one of our add-ins. There was a group of older ladies that got it in their smoothies every. single. day. and claimed it was kept them so "fresh". (I was never really tempted to ask what that meant, really!) There were other customers that swore it made their allergies better! I'm not sure about the baking, because I'm not positive it holds up well to heat, but sprinkling it on salads, adding to smoothies, or on top of oatmeal/cereal/yogurt is great!

Anonymous February 15, 2009 at 12:42 PM  

congrats on the 10k =) glad you were able to relax and just enjoy it.

I have never heard about bee pollen - but the high protein content sounds interesting... i'm interested in learning more

lauren February 15, 2009 at 4:26 PM  

alison/thanks so much for commenting! and for the info...I will definitely be monitoring if I feel anything from adding some bee pollen to my diet. :)

HangryPants February 15, 2009 at 4:47 PM  

Great Valentine's run!

I've never heard of this bee pollen superfood! Thanks for the info.

Aron February 15, 2009 at 6:36 PM  

great job on the hilly race!!!!

I Run for Fun February 15, 2009 at 11:49 PM  

Congratulations! Great race!!!

Hmm...I wouldn't know what to do with bee pollen...hope it goes well with oatmeal!

Anonymous February 16, 2009 at 9:11 AM  

omg I am OBSESSED with ace of cakes! It is seriously a great show. Congrats on finishing!

Anonymous February 17, 2009 at 12:45 PM  

Glad you enjoyed the race. Oh, I love Ace of Cakes! I've never really heard much about bee pollen.

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP