2.20.2009

Hunger Takes No Holiday

I was recently contacted by the Maryland Food Bank in hopes I could post information about their annual food drive on my blog.
Well, I am going to do one better.
  • First, I am going to provide the information for local readers. (see below)
  • Second, I am going to do it the "Hangry Pants" way and run a food drive right here, so EVERYONE can help. (Thanks for the inspiration Heather and Mark!)

For every comment on this post (one comment per person), I am going to donate 20 cents in the form of food to help support this great cause.

  • Tell me what type of food you would like your 20 cents to go towards in your comment. (Most Needed Items are listed below)

  • My drive will end on Sunday, March 8th, when I will go shopping for all the food to donate with the money raised.
Being contacted by the Maryland Food Bank really made me stop and think about all that I have to be thankful for. I feel so fortunate and want to take this time to give a little back.

Thank you to everyone who takes the time to read this blog that allows me to share the things I enjoy and am so fortunate to have - food, health, and fitness! Now, its time to give a little back - so please comment away and spread the word!

The Maryland Food Bank Sees Need up by 50%
You Can Help with the Harvest for the Hungry Spring Food Drive

This spring, thanks to a statewide effort led by the U.S. Postal Service, Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts, you can help. Drop off a bag of food at your residential mailbox March 7 – 14, 2009 and representatives from the United States Postal Service, Girl Scouts of Central Maryland and the Baltimore Area Boy Scouts will come by and pick it up. Post Offices, Safeway Stores, Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage offices will also serve as collection points throughout the week. Donations will be delivered to the Maryland Food Bank.

If you would rather make a monetary donation—checks can be made out to the Maryland Food Bank and sent to: 2200 Halethorpe Farms Road, Baltimore, MD 21227. ATTN: Shanna Yetman.

The week-long drive, a project of Harvest for the Hungry, helps stock the shelves of The Maryland Food Bank, which in turn serves over 900 soup kitchens, food pantries and shelters across the state.

WHAT: Every day brings worse news about the economy. Unemployment rates are up and the stock market is down. The Maryland Food Bank has seen a significant increase in need from its network of soup kitchens, food pantries and emergency shelters. In times of financial uncertainty, it’s important to remember how important food assistance programs are – to our neighbors and even ourselves.

WHEN: Saturday, March 7 through Saturday, March 14, 2009

MOST NEEDED ITEMS: (no glass, please)

  • MEAT & PROTEIN: Canned meat, ham and chicken; Peanut Butter; Macaroni and cheese; Canned stews; Canned tuna, salmon and sardines; Nuts and seeds; Dried and canned beans
  • BREADS & CEREALS: Oatmeal, Breakfast cereal, Rice and rice cakes, Pasta
    FRUITS & VEGETABLES: Canned fruits and juices, Canned vegetables, Canned soup, Sauces/Salad Dressing
  • DAIRY FOODS: Evaporated milk, Powdered milk, Infant formula, Puddings and custards
  • NON-FOOD ITEMS: Diapers, Toilet Paper, Plastic/Paper plates and cups, Sanitary napkins and tampons

NOTES: The Harvest for the Hungry Spring Food Drive sponsors include: The Baltimore Area Council Boy Scouts of America, The Baltimore Sun, Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage, Girl Scouts of Central Maryland, The Office of the Governor, The Howard County Times, The Jeffersonian, Joe Corbi’s, Morgan Stanley, Safeway, The Towson Times, The U.S. Postal Service, WBAL-TV 11, WBAL-AM 1090, and The Westminster Eagle.

Harvest for the Hungry (HFTH) is a year-round volunteer effort by various corporations and organizations to raise food, funds and awareness for the Maryland Food Bank and its counterparts throughout Maryland. Initially, this effort began in 1986 as a holiday food drive. It was extended because Larry V. Adam, Jr., the founder, believed that “hunger takes no holiday.” In its distinguished 20+ year history, Harvest for the Hungry campaigns have collected more than 28 million pounds of food.


Thanks for your help!

53 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl February 20, 2009 at 2:32 PM  

Wonderful cause!!

Unknown February 20, 2009 at 2:37 PM  

how awesome :) i love these things!! peanut butter and beans!!

Meghann February 20, 2009 at 2:37 PM  

This sounds wonderful Lauren. I'm behind you 100%!

Anonymous February 20, 2009 at 2:44 PM  

Last fall I volunteered for a day at the Dinner Program for Homeless Women in D.C. It was a very humbling experience and I was so amazed by creative use of the food they receive.

Good for you for being a part of a wonderful cause.

Oh and oats please ;)

Anonymous February 20, 2009 at 2:49 PM  

Wonderful Lauren! I like PB and beans. :-)

RunningLaur February 20, 2009 at 2:49 PM  

your donation pledge is so wonderful!
I remember the wbal and hunger takes no holiday drive from home, so it's near and dear to my heart.
Arizona food banks are asking for jars of peanut butter, so I vote for that.
Thanks again!

Grace February 20, 2009 at 3:16 PM  

You know I'm helping out. Cheese please!

Rose February 20, 2009 at 3:53 PM  

Lovely idea - cereals for me!

tfh February 20, 2009 at 3:54 PM  

Very cool! Many of the items on their list are the same ones I try to purchase when we're scrimping-- a little money can go a long way when it comes to canned goods, rice, and pasta. Thanks to you, I am off to investigate my state's food bank...

EL February 20, 2009 at 3:58 PM  

veggies!

Caitlin February 20, 2009 at 4:14 PM  

Nuts and beans for me please. It's awesome you are doing this. I was talking to the head of our local food bank recently and she was talking about how it is becoming increasingly difficult to meet the demands with economy the way it is. Thanks for opening up the awareness!

Anonymous February 20, 2009 at 4:50 PM  

This is a great idea! Peanut butter - yum! One of my staples.

Anonymous February 20, 2009 at 4:57 PM  

I'd say the non-food items...like diapers. It makes me so sad to think about people in this country (well, and other countries, too of course) that don't have access to everyday resources like that.

Anonymous February 20, 2009 at 4:58 PM  

this is awesome! oatmeal and nuts!

Anonymous February 20, 2009 at 5:48 PM  

Good for you! I'll try to remember to link you on my next post!

Anonymous February 20, 2009 at 6:41 PM  

This is such a great post, wonderful cause!!

Aron February 20, 2009 at 6:49 PM  

sooo awesome :)

Anonymous February 20, 2009 at 6:52 PM  

this is so sweet of you! what area of MD are you from? ....I think my 20 cents should go towards oats! =)

Anonymous February 20, 2009 at 7:01 PM  

What a wonderful cause and way to raise awareness. I think i'll pledge for the non-food items, i'm sure those add up so quickly!

Anonymous February 20, 2009 at 7:28 PM  

I want to help people out with sanitary napkins and tampons, please! Yikes those would be horrible not to be able to afford!!

Anonymous February 20, 2009 at 7:52 PM  

Water, oatmeal, and peanut butter! Life's neccesities!

Anonymous February 20, 2009 at 10:13 PM  

VERY VERY wonderful cause!

HangryPants February 20, 2009 at 10:38 PM  

Great job Lauren. I would say oats!

ChickPea February 21, 2009 at 12:23 AM  

What a great cause--I'd love to give oats and PB!

Balance, Joy and Delicias! February 21, 2009 at 6:34 AM  

great cause to help.
lentils and cereals please!

Anonymous February 21, 2009 at 10:06 AM  

This is awesome Lauren! BEANS!

Leeann February 21, 2009 at 12:46 PM  

Dairy! Love your blog - keep it up! :)

Anonymous February 21, 2009 at 1:40 PM  

awesome!!! You go girl.

I Run for Fun February 21, 2009 at 3:15 PM  

Great cause, Lauren!!! So proud of you for doing this. I love soup.

chandra February 21, 2009 at 4:26 PM  

Great cause! I love all food equally so I don't care what my .20 goes towards. :)

Anonymous February 21, 2009 at 8:23 PM  

Very cool. Diapers are always good for families with children.

Emily February 21, 2009 at 9:20 PM  

This is so awesome! What a great cause . I would like money to go toward baby items like formula and diapers. Nothing is more sad than thinking of children going without. Thanks for helping out.

Anonymous February 22, 2009 at 8:19 AM  

Terrific, Lauren!If you donate beans and veggies, I'll match you when i go to the store this morning and put it in Giant's donation cart!

eveamp February 22, 2009 at 2:08 PM  

Great cause. Diapers for me please....well, not for me obviously!

Anonymous February 22, 2009 at 4:06 PM  

Great cause. Anything but meat!!!

Anonymous February 22, 2009 at 7:59 PM  

You are awesome for doing this! Fruits and veggies!

Anonymous February 24, 2009 at 10:54 AM  

great idea and wonderful cause!

Aimee February 24, 2009 at 2:44 PM  

Great cause...Oats and PB are good picks.

Erica February 24, 2009 at 6:03 PM  

Great post- great cause! Keep up the good work!

Anonymous February 24, 2009 at 6:23 PM  

This sounds great, Lauren! Sorry I'm so late to comment, but I will definitely link back on my next post, too! Good luck!

Elizabeth February 24, 2009 at 9:20 PM  

Great cause! Kudos to you!!

Bec February 24, 2009 at 11:51 PM  

PB and oats, what a great idea

Anonymous February 24, 2009 at 11:56 PM  

awesome cause...peanut butter or oats!

Anonymous February 25, 2009 at 2:50 AM  

Great cause! PB and oats for me too!

Anonymous February 25, 2009 at 9:27 AM  

Awesome, just awesome :D

Lori February 25, 2009 at 1:48 PM  

What a great idea! Oatmeal, canned tuna or salmon, nuts or canned fruit with no added sugar for me. :)

Anonymous February 25, 2009 at 2:04 PM  

this is great- healthy & tasty granola bars that kiddos would like! :)

Anonymous February 25, 2009 at 2:25 PM  

oh 100% peanut butter. What an amazing idea - or good idea to steal the idea! ;)

Anonymous March 2, 2009 at 10:42 AM  

great cause! oats and kid friendly whole grain cereal!

Anonymous March 2, 2009 at 3:53 PM  

awesome job taking the initiative to turn this into a fundraiser!!

i say fruits and veggies all the way! :-)

Anonymous March 2, 2009 at 5:52 PM  

peanutbutttttter!

great cause. yay.

jane March 2, 2009 at 8:30 PM  

great idea! oatmeal- heart healthy woo :)

Anonymous March 2, 2009 at 10:05 PM  

It's great that you're doing this! Food for everyone :)

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP