2.24.2009

Dishing

First of all, thank you to everyone who has commented on my Hunger Takes No Holiday post - and for everyone who has helped me spread the word! Please keep it up and comment if you haven't already. :)

Workouts


Last night, I intended to take the 6pm spin class, but when I arrived at 5:55pm - all 40 of the bikes were taken!

I was lucky enough to score an Arc Trainer, which I did for 45 mins. Then I did 2000m on the rowing machine which was probably around 10 mins. I figure that I have to start doing some rowing to prepare for the Adventure Race in April. Rowing is tough and makes my back ache.

Food

I mentioned in a previous post that my mom, sister and I went to Let's Dish last Friday. I am not sure if everyone has a Let's Dish around them, so to give you a little background...
  • There are different stations set up with the ingredients you need to prep meals on the monthly menu.
  • Everything you need is set out for you with directions on how to do each step and what equipment to use.
  • The menu changes each month and it is such a fun thing to do with others.
  • You take home your meals and freeze them to cook at a later time. (bring a cooler with you)
  • The meals are portioned for a family of 6, but you can split the meals if there are only two of you.
  • They bake fresh scones and encourage you to bring your own wine to have during breaks.

I use these meals as a supplement to the things I cook myself. I haven't been in awhile - not sure if I have been since I've had this blog actually. They work well for nights when I have no desire to cook or don't have much time.

Funny Story - the first time we ever did it - I thought they were providing FREE wine for everyone and just went up to help myself. This one lady started asking me about my "multiples" and I had no idea what she was talking about. I think I just "smiled and laughed" - the normal response when you have no clue what someone is talking about. I guess a group, "Mothers of Multiples", was there "dishing" and had brought wine for their group. oopsie. ;)

Last night, I made one of the Let's Dish meals - Mandarin Breeze Shrimp with Jasmine Rice.

Tender shrimp marinate with huge chunks of green pepper, onion, whole button mushrooms and mandarin oranges in a delectable sauce that includes a touch of sesame, garlic and hoisin. Sautéed until sizzling, then served on fragrant Jasmine rice.
It was delicious because the mandarin oranges broke apart and became part of the sauce. It was even better leftover today for lunch when all the flavors had more time to hang out.

Nutrition Facts, Servings: 6
*They said sugar content wasn't available, so that makes me think it might be bad. call me a pessimist.

A picture of what is becoming my standard dinner drink. Equal parts of Mango Nectar and Sparkling Water. More mango than sparkle going on last night though.
The following is becoming Kevin's standard drink - Skim Milk and Peanut Butter Puffins. ;)
Breakfast this morning (Tuesday) was a throwback to an old favorite before I got hooked on oatmeal. I am all out of oatmeal. (gasp)

Grilled corn tortillas topped w/ 2% shredded cheddar, scrambled eggs (liquid egg whites and 1 egg), and chipotle hot sauce. A tiny bit of turkey bacon in the background that needed to be used up.

Question for Ya

What is your go-to simple and easy dinner?

26 comments:

Unknown February 24, 2009 at 4:58 PM  

My go-to dinner is Trader Joe's (Trader Giotto's) Gnocchi alla Sorrentina. Not the healthiest and I pretty much eat the entire bag in one sitting by myself. Of course with a hearty addition of parmesan cheese on top. :) YUM.

Meghann February 24, 2009 at 5:03 PM  

What an interesting concept of a plce to prep meals. I'm nto sure I totally get it, I think i would have to go and experience it to understand...lol

Meghann February 24, 2009 at 5:03 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
RunningLaur February 24, 2009 at 5:10 PM  

My go to is potstickers and rice. I usually make a ton and freeze them so they are ready to go, and I have dinner in an easy 10 minutes.

To take the pain out of your back while rowing, think of sitting up tall and only swing from the hips, swinging your back like a plank. There are YouTube videos on rowing form that can help a lot. I can ramble forever on rowing form... Hope it helps!

LizNoVeggieGirl February 24, 2009 at 5:15 PM  

PB PUFFINS!!!!

Anonymous February 24, 2009 at 6:26 PM  

I bought my mom a gift card to Let's Dish a few years ago. It's such a great place! Loved your story about the wine and Mothers of Multiples :o)

I love mixing juices with sparkling water or club soda. It's so delicious!

Go-to easy dinner: breakfast for dinner! Anything from omelettes to cereal to oatmeal :o)

Anonymous February 24, 2009 at 6:31 PM  

When one of my coworkers had a baby we all did a Let's Dish thing for her - she loved it! Yours looks great :)

Aron February 24, 2009 at 6:39 PM  

i have heard about that!! its very cool :)

my go to quick dinner is usually an omlette or something with scrambled eggs :)

Anonymous February 24, 2009 at 7:35 PM  

My go-to dinner is usually breakfast foods! If you've read my blog you would know I am obsessed with pancakes!

lauren February 24, 2009 at 8:56 PM  

runninglaur/thanks! i definitely need to work on my posture while rowing. I will check out youtube also.

Elizabeth February 24, 2009 at 9:23 PM  

I love the idea of Lets Dish. Very cool and convenient!! Sadly they don't dish here in CA but maybe there is something similar. I'm totally going to check it out.

Unknown February 24, 2009 at 9:38 PM  

my go to would probably be eggs... too easy!!

ChickPea February 25, 2009 at 12:06 AM  

Go to dinner: hummus sammie with lots of veggies!

Balance, Joy and Delicias! February 25, 2009 at 5:29 AM  

My go-to dinner would be leftover chilis or pizza with tons of veggies!

Anonymous February 25, 2009 at 10:40 AM  

oh man....go-to dinner is def split green pea soup from TJ's with some sort of sammie to dip in it! I love big hearty bread and soup!

Fitnessista February 25, 2009 at 11:06 AM  

BAH i hate when all of the spin bikes are taken!! now that i teach, i don't have to worry as much.. i better have a bike ;)
the shrimp creation looks glorious!!
my favorite go-to dinner is salmon (seasoned with s+p, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, honey and OJ) pan seared and baked, with roasted garlic and lemon asparagus and brown rice. super fast to make and way delicious :D

Lori February 25, 2009 at 1:43 PM  

Wow, that is a huge spinning class!

Thanks for sharing your Let's Dish experiences. We have some places like that around central KY, but i've never tried them. Your meal looks great!

I love the juice and sparkling water combo. It has really helped me break my diet soda addiction.

A pasta bake is typically my go to meal when I don't really feel like cooking.

elise February 25, 2009 at 2:05 PM  

go-to meal: seitan or tofu stir fry! takes 2 seconds!

Anonymous February 25, 2009 at 2:26 PM  

ooh that looks really yummy! my mom has bought a few meals from them. i think my go to meal is some type of eggs, they can be made in 2 secs!

Anonymous February 25, 2009 at 2:58 PM  

I actually went to look at Let's Dish - I was really suprised they had nutritional info (HUGE PLUS), too bad they only have two vegetarian dishes.

Go to dinner: probably veggie burgers.

Anonymous February 25, 2009 at 5:05 PM  

I have heard of Lets dish so many times, but have yet to give it a try! that shrimp looks amazing though! My goto meal is probably instant risotto with veggies mixed in.

I Run for Fun February 25, 2009 at 5:42 PM  

Ugh...hate it when all the bikes at the gym are taken!

The shrimp dish looks yumm. So does the tortilla breakfast.

Tyler February 25, 2009 at 6:53 PM  

rowing is tough!! i used to do crew at school...i haven't gotten on the rowing machine since i stopped, but that is a good workout!!!

your shrimp dish looks delicious! my go-to simple dinner?? probably a sandwich!

Bridget February 25, 2009 at 8:58 PM  

There is a similar company like that around here! I have never done it though...sounds fun!!

LOVE PB Puffins!!!

Allison M. February 25, 2009 at 9:17 PM  

whole wheat pasta with sauteed veggies and chicken.

I ate the hell out of brown rice and vegetables in college - now that was a great go-to meal.

Erica February 25, 2009 at 10:10 PM  

rooftop deck? Sounds amazing!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP