3.25.2009

Whole Wheat Beer Bread

But first, yoga and dinner...


After a number of you suggested yoga to help with my sore muscles, I decided to give it a whirl. I will admit that I have never been a huge yoga person and usually feel awkward when I am doing it.


I decided on the Sunset Yoga with Sara Ivanhoe through Exercise TV because it was described as, "...a calming sequence designed to wind the body down after a hard day."


She moved pretty slow and was very descriptive with each move, which was perfect for me since I am a beginner in every sense of the word. It was tough and I modified some moves since I am not very flexible, but it did feel great to stretch out.

Afterwards, I whipped up an orange & green dinner.
Let's Dish Garlic/Herb Salmon. Roasted Asparagus. Parsnip/Carrot Mash.


Asparagus: drizzled with a teensy bit of olive oil, sea salt, lots of pepper. Roasted at 425 for 10-15 mins. Topped w/ juice from 1/2 fresh lemon.


Parsnip/Carrot Mash: Peel and coarsely chop parsnips (2) and carrots (4). Steam until soft. Mash with spoonful of greek yogurt. Season to taste w/ sea salt, pepper, parsley. This was a spur of a moment creation and surprisingly - I think it worked.


Whole Wheat Beer Bread


I have been looking for a simple bread recipe and think I finally found it. I made a few slight tweaks to a recipe I found on allrecipes.com. (Original recipe can be found HERE)

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
  • 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 (12 fluid ounce) can of Bud Light
  • 3 tablespoons light butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x5 inch loaf pan w/ non-stick cooking spray. In a large mixing bowl, combine all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, salt and brown sugar.

Pour in beer (take a sip if you are thirsty) and stir until a stiff batter is formed. Scrape dough into prepared loaf pan. Melt butter and pour over dough.

Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean.

The top of the bread has a slight crunch, but the inside is dense and moist. The prep time for this bread took maybe 10 mins. Very easy!I plan to serve this bread with White Chicken Chili that is simmering in my crock pot as I type this. I have had a handwritten recipe for this chili since last fall. We had it at a party and I couldn't get enough, so I asked for the recipe.

The bread and chili are being delivered to my grandparents tonight after work. I know they wont mind I tested out the bread to make sure it was edible. I didn't mention it before, but Sunday afternoon, my grandmom fell and dislocated her shoulder pretty badly. After a loooong time spent in the ER (we got her home after midnight), she is resting comfortably, but will be recovering for awhile.

Will be sure to share the chili recipe with pictures later on!

24 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl March 25, 2009 at 11:23 AM  

Glad the yoga felt good!!

Great bread!!

LizNoVeggieGirl March 25, 2009 at 11:23 AM  

P.S. - I'm PRAYING that your grandmother recovers quickly and fully!!

Erica March 25, 2009 at 11:33 AM  

Have you tried Hot Yoga? I love it! I always felt the same way as you about yoga until I took hot yoga!! Ah the bread looks soooooo good. Love homemade bread :) Makes my tummy happy. Great mush too! I need to try this recipe. I'm so glad your grandma is ok! That is very scary. You are so sweet to bring her some food. She will love it

Balance, Joy and Delicias! March 25, 2009 at 11:35 AM  

bread looks amazing!!!!! And it seems so simple to make with few ingredients!!! :D Definitely a MUST to try recipe!
best wishes to your grandma!

Anonymous March 25, 2009 at 11:39 AM  

Oh no! Hope your grandma heals up quickly!! That beer bread sounds fabulous! I love my carbs ;)

MacDuff March 25, 2009 at 11:41 AM  

I just read about your trail ride - Congratulations!!!!! That's so hard core. And I will be thinking of you and your grandma...hope everyone is doing better.

Chicken chilli sounds rad!

Kara March 25, 2009 at 11:42 AM  

Aw hope your grandmother gets better soon!

I really might need to try that bread soon!!!

Anonymous March 25, 2009 at 11:42 AM  

Oh no, hope Grandma is ok.

Hey, I'm going to need that chili recipe.

(((yoga))) Yay for you for trying it!

The Purple Carrot March 25, 2009 at 11:45 AM  

White chicken chili with that bread sounds perfect! I'm sure your grandmother will LOVE it and I hope her recovery goes wonderfully!

I Run for Fun March 25, 2009 at 12:31 PM  

You dinner looks perfect!

Anonymous March 25, 2009 at 12:45 PM  

Prayers for gma, of course.

I now have an excuse to buy beer too. Thank you.

Anonymous March 25, 2009 at 1:14 PM  

LOVE LOVE LOVE beer bread....

Anonymous March 25, 2009 at 1:37 PM  

I love beer bread. The texture is so freakin' amazing.
Wow, that's so scary about your grandma. :( I hope she heals quickly!

Julie March 25, 2009 at 1:45 PM  

Yay for Yoga!
That beer bread looks so good!! You should have it with a nice guiness to was it down haha

Anonymous March 25, 2009 at 2:14 PM  

beer and bread = love! I'm SO sorry about your gramz, that is awfulllll and i wish her all the best!!

tfh March 25, 2009 at 2:33 PM  

This bread looks so good. And I love Sara Ivanhoe's gentle yoga sequences.

Best wishes to your grandma for a speedy recovery-- sorry to hear about her fall.

Anonymous March 25, 2009 at 3:17 PM  

LOVE beer bread. I might check out that yoga session, too.

Anonymous March 25, 2009 at 7:24 PM  

White chicken chili sounds good. You'll have to post the recipe.

Anonymous March 25, 2009 at 7:24 PM  

That bread looks delicious!

Anonymous March 25, 2009 at 9:13 PM  

Yoga really works. Hope you're feeling better!

Anonymous March 26, 2009 at 3:29 AM  

i like the look of your orange and green dinner :) looks pretty healthy!

Jen (Running with Food) March 26, 2009 at 8:20 AM  

Oh yeah!! Beer bread is so good. I haven't made any in forever! So quick + easy. Looks great!

RunningLaur March 26, 2009 at 8:45 AM  

The bread looks good!

I read the "light butter" ingredient as "lighter fluid" in my first few reads and was VERY confused. That didn't seem healthy at all!

Anonymous March 26, 2009 at 11:43 AM  

I LOVE beer bread!!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP