3.17.2009

Snog Me, I'm Irish

Happy St. Patrick's Day! Since I am a quarter Irish, I am wearing my green proudly today. I spent a semester abroad in London my junior year in college, so one weekend, we took a ferry to Dublin, Ireland for a few days.


Coming out of a pub one night, my friend and I were asked by a few incoherent Irish lads, if we'd ever had an Irish Snog. We both said that we hadn't and the sweet gentlemen said they'd be happy to give us one. I was thinking I was going to get something to eat, but we promptly learned that:

Snogging = Kissing

In honor of this holiday, I have the following in my Crock pot at home:
  • 3 carrots, coarsely chopped
  • 1 corned beef brisket (3 pounder)
  • 1 spice packet (that came with the brisket)
  • 3 medium onions, quartered
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 head of cabbage, cut in wedges
  • 1 garlic clove, minced

It went in at 7am and is on low for the next 10 hours until I get home. Let's hope my first attempt at Corned Beef and Cabbage works out.

I am a worry wort and feel like a fire is going to start while I am at work. I keep telling myself all will be OK because:

  1. My alarm has a feature where it calls the fire department if it senses smoke.
  2. There is a "self-appointed mayor of the block" (a.k.a. nosey neighbor) that watches over each house on our block. Did I mention that this sweet woman also dresses like a pilgrim? No lie - I couldn't make this stuff up.

Monday PM

Last night, after a long walk with Oscar in the park - I couldn't motivate myself to do Jillian Michael's workout, but I did make it to the gym for spin class. The hour long class kicked my butt.

After class, I was starving, so I munched on sliced zucchini dipped in hummus. Meanwhile, I whipped up some asparagus and shrimp.

Dinner just didn't satisfy me tonight, so I immediately made a small bowl of figs, black almonds, and a spoonful of almond butter. This helped.

Tuesday AM

Since I was busy filling up the crock pot, I stuck with cold cereal today. Honey Nut Cheerios were all that was left, so I topped those with chopped pecans, chopped figs, sliced bananas, skim milk, and a spoonful of almond butter.

This was my first time having a spoonful of almond butter with cold cereal and I didn't like it at all. I also wasn't digging the honey nut cheerios...I am more of a regular cheerio fan. AND, I am now officially "figged out". Too many of those things in the last few days - I am done for awhile. Breakfast was such a positive experience today, huh?!

I brought a few favorite snacks to get me to lunchtime. My all-time favorite larabar - COCONUT CREAM PIE.

The stickers are cute on these Cuties.

Enjoy your day!

25 comments:

Meghann March 17, 2009 at 10:45 AM  

LOL.... those Irish lads were just rying to take advantage of the sweet American girls. I'm curious on whether or not a snogging occured? lol

The Purple Carrot March 17, 2009 at 10:46 AM  

Haha, that's funny ... I'm glad I know what snogging is now for future references; )

Have a great day!!

LizNoVeggieGirl March 17, 2009 at 10:51 AM  

Ha!!

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Anonymous March 17, 2009 at 10:51 AM  

LOL at the snogging!

I was just drooling over all those figs ;)

Erica March 17, 2009 at 10:57 AM  

hahahhaha very funny. Great eats! I cannot wait to see pictures of tonights din din. Happy st pattys day

lauren March 17, 2009 at 11:44 AM  

meghann\I plead the 5th. ;)

I Run for Fun March 17, 2009 at 11:49 AM  

Happy St. Patty's day! Ha ha...hope you enjoyed the snogging.

Your pilgrim neighbor sounds interesting.

Waiting to see and hear about the corned beef and cabbage.

Anonymous March 17, 2009 at 11:50 AM  

LOL @ your Ireland story.

Good luck with the corned beef! Sounds delicious.

Julie March 17, 2009 at 12:19 PM  

Oh my god good luck on your first cornbeef! That's pretty exciting :) That's a hilarious story from about the snogging. You should pull that on someone today haha.

Anonymous March 17, 2009 at 12:21 PM  

Love crockpot cooking! I'm sure it will turn out wonderful! :D

K from ksgoodeats March 17, 2009 at 12:22 PM  

HAHAH! That's too funny - loved the story :)

Best Larabar ever!

lizzy March 17, 2009 at 12:23 PM  

coconut cream pie is my all-time fav too! happy st. patricks day...hope your dinner is more satisfying to you than your breakfast was!

Kara March 17, 2009 at 1:09 PM  

Haa love the Irish snog!

I have that Lara Bar in my stash to try... I'm very excited!

tfh March 17, 2009 at 1:38 PM  

Tee hee. So did you get your Irish snog?

Have a great day-- hope dinner is delicious!

Lori March 17, 2009 at 2:12 PM  

Ha! What a funny story. Great memories.

Dinner sounds great. I'm always worried when I use my crockpot too. :(

Anonymous March 17, 2009 at 2:38 PM  

I just bought that Lara bar today too, and totally thought of you!
Good luck with the corned beef. Happy St. Patrick's lassie!

Aron March 17, 2009 at 3:10 PM  

happy st pats day!!!

Unknown March 17, 2009 at 4:06 PM  

hehe, happy st. patty's day!

Anonymous March 17, 2009 at 4:45 PM  

Hahahaha those cute! When we went to Ireland we had to use another dictionary because their lingo is so distinct.
I'd love to hear more about your time in London!

Tyler March 17, 2009 at 4:55 PM  

happy st patty's day! i've never seen figs that color before...i've only bought the black ones, but you bowl of cereal looks delicious!

Anonymous March 17, 2009 at 6:57 PM  

Thanks for the black almond and snogging definitions. I definitely want both now.

Hope your CB&C turns out well!

Anonymous March 17, 2009 at 11:25 PM  

I love Cheerios!

Can't wait to hear how the corned beef and cabbage turned out!

Anonymous March 18, 2009 at 9:01 AM  

samesies on the fav larabar!!! oyyyy now I am craving one.

Steve Stenzel March 18, 2009 at 10:14 AM  

HA! You got kissed!! Too funny!

elise March 18, 2009 at 11:36 AM  

haha, so funny you didnt know what snogging was...worked out well!!

i dont think theres such a thing as "figged out" - at least not in MY world, haha

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP