3.23.2009

Rockburn Reloaded Mountain Bike Race, 3.22.2009

Pre-Race Eats


Sunday morning, I woke up and had a great pre-race bowl of steel cut oats.

The race didn't begin until 10am, so we had time to digest a bigger breakfastSteel cut oats, banana, coconut, pecans, honey, and the last of the almond butter.


The Race (10 miles total; 2 five mile loops)


After checking in to get our bibs and markings, Kevin and I got on all our gear and went for a quick ride to warm up. It was a lot colder than I expected and I felt under-dressed.


We lined up according to our category group and I noticed there were only about 10 women in the beginner category. I also noticed that most everyone had clipless/platform pedals. I knew that would make it harder for me to keep up since the clipless pedals are much more efficient.


As I watched the two male groups go before us - I vowed to myself: Dont be the last woman and pass some men!


Classic newbie mistake: I started out waaay too fast. Meaning that after a few climbs - I thought I was going to die. You know the feeling in your throat when you sprint or go hard - its like a horrible knot in your throat and you feel like you may throw up? Yup - had that...for most of the first loop.


I tried to calm myself down, but found myself pushing harder since I didn't want people passing me. There weren't many log jumps, which was good for me because I am still learning how to clear those. About halfway through the first loop, I came around one corner and see Kevin sitting there with his bike. He had started 2 groups ahead of me, so I knew something was wrong. He cracked the chain ring on his bike - his day was over. Poor guy.

At that point - I was cursing myself for only riding once before this and was wondering if I would be able to breathe/make it through the second loop. Kevin, my sister, my niece and nephew were there cheering me on as I finished the first loop so that helped give me the adrenaline push I needed to keep going. The second loop felt slightly easier and I could mostly breathe again. I guess because I knew what to expect and was able to save myself for some of the more difficult sections. I even caught up to and passed a few men which gave me more confidence. The list at the end of the race said I was the sixth woman to finish out of ten. I am happy with that! I think I finished in 1 hr, 20 mins because the sport category race began at 11:30am and I came in before they started. (It was a pretty low-key event, so they didn't have anyone timing the race)

While I managed to smile in the picture above - my legs were wobbly and my entire body felt exhausted. A slug probably would have beat me in a walking race. But, I felt happy to have finished and feel that it was just the practice (wake-up call) I needed for the Adventure Race in a month!

Post-Race Nourishment

We headed over to Donna's Cafe/Coffee/Bar in Columbia to get some lunch after the race. This is a local chain that has a Mediterranean flair with a ton of great, healthier choices. Coffee was ordered immediately.

I decided on the Veggie Burger with sweet potato fries. The fries were great, but then again, I dont think I have met a fry I didnt like. Unfortunately, the veggie burger had a strong black olive flavor and since I don't like olives, this didn't sit well with me. I managed to eat half and then picked off of Kevin's salad.

We had a football game later that afternoon and my plan was to cheer everyone on with a beer in hand. Unfortunately for me, we were short on women, so I had to play some of the game. My legs ached like I had just run a marathon.

Monday, it was mainly my shins, triceps and back that hurt the most. I managed to take a walk in the park with Oscar but just laid around for the rest of the night to try and let my body recover. Tonight, I hope to do a light workout - just not sure what that is yet.

Anyone know a light, recovery workout that is good for loosening up sore muscles?

30 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl March 24, 2009 at 10:19 AM  

GREAT EAST AND RACE!!


Try some yoga for stretching.

LizNoVeggieGirl March 24, 2009 at 10:20 AM  

**eats, not east :-)

Meghann March 24, 2009 at 10:22 AM  

Congrats on a great race!! 6th out of 10 sounds good to me!

And do some Yoga girl! That will loosen up the muscles. Trust me I swear by it now!

Erica March 24, 2009 at 10:26 AM  

Great job! I probably would have made the same mistake (starting out too quickly!)Glad you finished though- you rock! What a great post race meal too

Kara March 24, 2009 at 10:27 AM  

Congratulations!!! That's so awesome :)

And I agree with VeggieGirl and Meghann-- yoga!! Try yogadownload.com or yogatoday.com if you need classes :)

The Purple Carrot March 24, 2009 at 10:33 AM  

Great race!! Very inspiring, it makes me want to do something hard because I can imagine the well desrved and great feeling of accomplishment afterwards! : )

Anonymous March 24, 2009 at 10:39 AM  

WTG on your race!!! 6th out of 10 is great, just think if you would have practiced more ;P!

I agree with the yoga comments. Though some say to do a light version of the same exercise that "hurt" you will work things out. I've found that is true for me.

Anonymous March 24, 2009 at 10:42 AM  

Great job on the race!

My favorite recovery workouts are yoga and plain old walking.

Balance, Joy and Delicias! March 24, 2009 at 10:42 AM  

congratulations on the race! You're fabulous! :)

Anonymous March 24, 2009 at 10:52 AM  

"The fries were great, but then again, I dont think I have met a fry I didnt like."

1000% ditto.

"Unfortunately, the veggie burger had a strong black olive flavor..."

I maintain that olives are what evil tastes like. :(

Anonymous March 24, 2009 at 11:21 AM  

Great job Lauren! I always like to go for a walk and do some light stretching/yoga. Then again, sitting always does wonders too.

Anonymous March 24, 2009 at 11:23 AM  

nice job on the race! i used to work at donnas in high school :) their turkey burger is SO GOOD! you've got to get that next time!!

Anonymous March 24, 2009 at 11:24 AM  

Congrats and job well done :) :)

Thanks for giving us a replay of how you felt, what you thought, etc. I love reading about different peoples' experiences.

Anonymous March 24, 2009 at 11:53 AM  

YAY! You did it!! Congrats :)

Sorry the veggie burger wasn't that great - I love the looks of that bun though!

Definitely yoga!!

Julie March 24, 2009 at 11:59 AM  

Oh my god you did so good!! Congrats :) Poor BF though! Do some yogs man

Aron March 24, 2009 at 12:53 PM  

congrats on the race!!!!

Fitnessista March 24, 2009 at 12:56 PM  

congrats on your race! hah i just wrote "face" instead of "race" :D
i think some yoga (BIKRAM) would be a great way to stretch out your muscles
the sweet potato fries look heavenly!
have a wonderful day!

Anonymous March 24, 2009 at 1:55 PM  

whoa. you go girl.

and i want those sweetpotato fries. bad.

tfh March 24, 2009 at 2:28 PM  

Wow, I am so impressed-- you had a great race and of course the first one is going to be a learning experience! You look great in the photos, too. Poor Kevin. :(

lauren March 24, 2009 at 3:39 PM  

thanks all! I think I am going to try some yoga tonight - sounds like it is just what I need!

dailygoods/ ughh! I almost got the turkey burger - next time!

Anonymous March 24, 2009 at 5:16 PM  

Veggie burger and sweet potato fries. Sounds delish! Congrats on the race.

Anonymous March 24, 2009 at 7:10 PM  

Nice race!

Try using "the stick" (just google it) on your sore muscles. Hurts like hell, but works like a charm.

Anonymous March 24, 2009 at 8:35 PM  

congrats!! If you go the yoga route- try out Polly's blog, "yoga is yummy"...she has a bunch of short, 10 min videos like yoga for triathletes and yoga for hips, she is so cute and it's easy and stretchy i loved them!

ChickPea March 24, 2009 at 11:57 PM  

How do you prepare your steel cut oats? I just received some in the mail from McCann's, and I have no idea what to do with them.

lauren March 25, 2009 at 10:42 AM  

carolinebee/shoot - got your comment too late. i will have to try that one another time!

chickpea/I left a comment on your page with some of the tips others have left me regarding steel cut oats!

I Run for Fun March 25, 2009 at 12:56 PM  

Awesome! You are hardcore. A race and a football game on the same day???

Amazing that this is your first bike race...you did so well. And congrats on 6th place...very respectable indeed!

Yoga sounds good to me too...maybe stretching and a very very slow and short recovery run, maybe?

Grace March 25, 2009 at 1:29 PM  

I'm so proud of you. You did awesome!

Tyler March 25, 2009 at 6:14 PM  

awesome race! for light workouts, i like swimming or yoga :)

Anonymous March 26, 2009 at 9:30 PM  

wow your breakfast look so yummy!

Anonymous March 27, 2009 at 1:50 AM  

wow that was cool! by the way , your veggie burger looks terrific!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP