6.01.2009

Last Weekend in May

Saturday


While on a walk with Oscar in the park near my house, I realized that there was a Polish Festival going on this weekend! I called my mom because I knew she was over at my grandparents which is near my house. My grandfather is Polish and I have enjoyed his homemade potato pancakes since I was little. They were up for going to the festival because it was a great day outside.


We headed over to the park and were immediately overwhelmed by all the amazing food. We started by splitting potato pancakes, but they were gone before I managed to get my camera out. I was hungry. Next up was homemade pierogis...We decided to try both the Sauerkraut/Mushroom and Potato/Cheese pierogis.
We grabbed a beer for all of us to split, found a spot in the shade......and enjoyed our pierogis and beer while listening to some Polish music.
At one point we walked around to look at all the different stands. Pretty Polish Pottery...
Polish candies and other food products...
It was a beautiful day!


Sunday


Today was the Zooma 10k and Half Marathon in Annapolis, MD! My mom and I decided to run the 10k together, which was cool since I had never run a race with her before. She has run a bunch of races, but not in a few years.


My dad was nice enough to get up at 4:30am with us to drive us to the start where we were shocked that it was rainy and cold. It was also thundering and lightening! The weather people had said nothing about this!!!


We saw a few cars head out of the parking lot and we were wondering whether the race would be postponed or canceled. After realizing that they were going to start at 7am, as planned, we got out and shivered in the cold & rain for about 10 mins before the start.


The course definitely had its share of hills, but we didn't stop walking once. Well, except to gulp down some water/gatorade at one water stop. The finish was a great, long downhill and we picked it up at the end to finish in 1 hour, 9 mins! I felt strong the entire way and am excited to keep training for my off-road duathlon coming up in July!


At the end we met up with some other friends back at Naval Stadium. It had turned into a gorgeous day and we enjoyed our box lunches, wine tastings, and mini cupcakes. YUM.

(From L to R, my mom, me, Carolyn, Alissa, and Katherine.)


OH - almost forgot to say that instead of finisher medals, we got these really cool silver necklaces at the finish line. I love mine and if you click on the picture above - you can check it out. :)


Later Sunday night, Kevin got back from a bachelor party in Tampa, FL - he was there all weekend and survived. ;) We decided to head to Jack's Bistro in Canton with the future bride and groom for the $12 entree special.


I decided on the Jerk Shrimp Quesadillas which were filled with jerk shrimp, gruyere cheese, pineapple, and hot peppers. It came with a small salad and black beans and rice on the side.
There was a ton of food on this gigantic plate. The quesadillas were filled with plump, spicy shrimp. I was a little worried I wouldn't like the pineapple mixed inside, but it added the much needed sweet/refreshing kick. The black beans in the rice were still hard and needed to be cooked longer. I loved the quesadillas!


Monday


This morning, I headed to the gym for a nice hour workout:
  • 20 mins walking on the treadmill, incline 10, speed 3.0 - 3.2
  • 2000 meters rowing, approximately 11 mins
  • 30 mins, upper body lifting and abs
Afterwards, I mixed together a green smoothie in the lovely Vita-Mix blender.
  • 1 medium banana
  • 1/2 fresh mango
  • handful of baby spinach
  • handful of ice cubes
  • heavy splash of vanilla soy milk
  • drizzle of agave nectar
Voila. Sweet and tasty without a trace of spinach flavor. I promise.
Later on, I used the beans and rice from last night's dinner to make a quick lunch today. After microwaving the beans/rice until the desired tenderness, I topped them with sliced tomatoes and crumbled goat cheese. Perfect!Wow, just realized how long this post was. I need to get out of the house and take Oscar for another walk in the gorgeous weather.


See you later!

14 comments:

Erica June 1, 2009 at 1:53 PM  

That festival sounds fun- I bet the homemade pierogies were incredible! Love those little bites of deliciousness! Congrats on the 10k- very cool that you got to run with your mom. That quesadilla also looks awesome. A weekend filled with good eats for sure! Enjoy the weather.

Kara June 1, 2009 at 1:59 PM  

That festival looks so fun! Festivals and fairs are some of the best things about summer!

Anonymous June 1, 2009 at 2:54 PM  

Way to go on your race, how wonderful that you got to run it with your mom!

And yeah, about the rain... I was suprised to hear it raining at 5 am too. Luckily the rain cleared down here and it was absolutely fab by my 7:30 start time. :)

Julie June 1, 2009 at 3:44 PM  

congrats on the 10K :) that sounds super exciting! I'm running my first one on sunday!

I Run for Fun June 1, 2009 at 4:09 PM  

It's so nice that you can run with your mom and your dad. The necklace looks cool!

The Polish festival sounds like a lot of fun. Mmm...potato pancakes!

Anne June 1, 2009 at 4:27 PM  

Yum, I love homemade pierogies! They're so good.

Great job on the race! That's really cool that you ran it with your mom. And I love that you got a finishers necklace-- it looks cute :D

Matt June 1, 2009 at 5:44 PM  

I'm Polish too! Did they have any Kielbasa? That stuff is friggin amaazing!

Oh and congrats on the race!

K from ksgoodeats June 1, 2009 at 6:56 PM  

Mmmm pierogies!! Those are always winners :)

Congrats on the race! That's great you ran with your mom! Glad you had a great weekend!!

Alison Can Read June 1, 2009 at 8:50 PM  

Cool festival! That pottery is beautiful.
I wish I was of an ethnicity with such great food traditions. I'm British, Dutch, and German...not too interesting in a culinary way.

Leslie June 1, 2009 at 10:59 PM  

I am so sad I didn't know you were running Zooma! I would have loved to meet or do a get together or something!! Maybe next race! Let me know! I read your blog every day.

Here is my recap of the race:
http://lovejackson.blogspot.com/2009/05/zooma-annapolis-2009-race-recap.html

ChickPea June 2, 2009 at 12:29 AM  

Haha, I haven't heard about pierogies since I lived in Pittsburgh!

Lori June 2, 2009 at 11:49 AM  

Hooray for Polish food! I love it! My husband's family is Polish and while they don't make a lot of traditional recipes I'm always hearing about them from when they lived in PA. Those pierogies look amazing! I've tried making them before. Wish I could get them to look that good. Ha! :)

Congrats on the race! How awesome that you ran it with your mom.

Karena June 2, 2009 at 2:36 PM  

Ahh!! How were the cupcakes after the race? My friends and I went on a search for them only to find out they were gone :( bummer!

The Polish Festival looks like it was yummy and fun! Gorgeous weather!

lauren June 2, 2009 at 3:52 PM  

nibblesandwiggles/lucky! will have to check out your recap!

julie/cool...good luck!

matt/they had a bunch of them and anything else you could think of - so much food!

Leslie/shoot!! definitely should meet up. what is the next race you are doing?

karena/the cupcakes were gooood. :) sorry you didnt get any!!!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP