6.12.2009

City Living

I know this is predominantly a food blog, but I am going to interrupt this program to bring you a brief message about "City Living".


One of the things I don't like about living in the city is....RATS. Yes, we have them and since I have been living in Baltimore, it has been an ongoing war in the backyard with the RATS.


Let me give a warning here that if you have a weak stomach - you may want to stop reading here and just pretend this post didn't exist.


Lately, Kevin has taken over the task of fighting the war and even dug a 3 foot deep hole in the backyard where they were burrowing through. Take that rats. We are planning on filling it in with gravel, a metal screen, and other items rats don't like.


But today, I am proud to say that a small battle was won by the good guys.


After the rats succeeded at eating through the bottom of our heavy plastic trashcan, we finally bought a metal one. Today, as Kevin was taking the bags of trash out of the metal trashcan, I heard a very manly scream from the backyard.Construction workers had actually just pulled up in the alley behind our house - and they came to see what all the commotion was about just as Kevin was yelling to me about the rat. Ha!


There was a dead rat in the bottom of the metal trashcan.
I am guessing the lid wasn't on as tight as it should have been because this rat didn't chew through the metal. But somehow it got stuck inside and couldn't get out. (The dead rat is in that bag - EWWW)Pine Sol was needed to cover up the stench. I was fresh out of bleach and I figured the lemon scent would be nice.I included this video because I just think it is really funny. You will notice that the grass is out of control in the backyard - please don't judge. It has been raining like crazy - that is my excuse. Also notice the dirt pile and trashcan in the middle of the yard - that is Kevin's doing as I mentioned above, so he is to blame for that. I think his face in this video is priceless.



Its Friday - Yippee!!

20 comments:

Anonymous June 12, 2009 at 8:45 AM  

Problem is there are 5 bazillion other rats. ;)

The metal trash can should help - no food makes places less attractive. And just have to say that men are so handy to have around.. :D

RunningLaur June 12, 2009 at 9:11 AM  

Oh no! The biggest rats I've seen were in Bmore - hope they move over t the neighbor's trash can!

tfh June 12, 2009 at 9:12 AM  

Sorry I'm laughing-- rats are HORRIBLE, and my sister and her husband who lived in Baltimore for several years have a similar trash can story-- except the rat was ALIVE.

Katie June 12, 2009 at 9:14 AM  

OMG. That's not cool. LOL @ "manly scream."

Erica June 12, 2009 at 9:22 AM  

oh man! I'm not sure I could handle that! We have "palmetto bugs" down here, but at long as you get your house sprayed regularly- you never see them!

Unknown June 12, 2009 at 9:28 AM  

Hahahahaha! That's like when a rat jumped out of our trashcan into our house and started running around. All I could do was stand on the kitchen table screaming while Ben ran around chasing it with a broom. Love me some Baltimore.

Anonymous June 12, 2009 at 9:32 AM  

I grew up living on a river and dealt with mice, raccoons, opossums...you name it. To this day, they all still freak me out. It is not something you can get used to!

K from ksgoodeats June 12, 2009 at 10:29 AM  

EW but LOL to the pictures!!

Anonymous June 12, 2009 at 11:05 AM  

A job well done!

I Run for Fun June 12, 2009 at 12:59 PM  

Yay on conquering the rat menace!

SeeGirlRun June 12, 2009 at 1:49 PM  

ROFLMAO!!!! I know what you mean. We had rats in the basement. D@mn RATS! Way to go Kevin - My HERO!

Anonymous June 12, 2009 at 2:39 PM  

Creepy. I don't miss the Chicago rats they were huge

MacDuff June 12, 2009 at 4:23 PM  

Oh god. The ONE THING I absolutely do not miss about Baltimore is the rats. Ugh. So, so disgusting.

Julie June 12, 2009 at 4:23 PM  

no wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
you have got yourself a GOOD man girl!

Grace June 12, 2009 at 4:33 PM  

Thank you for all of the props bloggers ... that's one for the good guys!

Erin June 12, 2009 at 4:42 PM  

Boo on the grodey rats dying in your trash can. Bastahds.

Lori June 12, 2009 at 5:24 PM  

I love how you explain the grass and the pile. Ha, ha! I will not judge. :)

We've never had problems with rats, but I'll never forget our trip to Vienna when my husband was studying abroad. There was a park near his dorm and it was full of them. We had to walk past there every night and it was rat-ville. Ugh.

Alison Can Read June 13, 2009 at 9:15 AM  

My dog found 5 huge mice in our backyard a few weeks ago and ate them! I was disgusted. My husband was happy that the dog was finally making himself useful.
Now Terminex says they were probably rats, not mice. Ugh...that sounds so much worse.

elise June 13, 2009 at 3:14 PM  

haha...EW! i know its gross, but its still funny seeing a man in a suit dealing with a dead rat. loved the video. i actually recorded a video of kyle trying to swat a fly last night...it was SO funny bc he was so dead-set on getting it and even though it took nearly 20 minutes he eventually got it. oh silly boys!

Julie D June 16, 2009 at 10:38 AM  

Aww, poor man. Yes, they are a part of city (and suburban) life.

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP