6.10.2009

Negative Nancy

I know most everyone has had one of "those" runs, but tonight was definitely my night. Kevin and I had a 40 min run with a sprint workout planned.


By the time Kevin came home - I had no motivation. Not to mention that my legs felt like they each weighed about 3,000 pounds. Monday, we had done a 35 min trail run and then a hill workout. I also did a Jillian-esque circuit/weight lifting workout earlier. Tuesday was 45 mins on the arc trainer and then 2,000 meters of rowing. So I had pretty good reason to be tired.


After I procrastinated as long as humanly possible, Kevin dragged me out of the house for the run, but I was "Negative Nancy" and kept trying to talk Kevin into going different routes to cut our run short. I also needed to "stop and stretch" like 5 times - I just felt exhausted and wanted to walk.


Even with all my antics, we ended up running for about 35 mins! We also ended up doing a basketball themed sprint session. I didn't want to wimp out, so I tried to channel my competitiveness from the hundreds of basketball practices I had growing up.


It worked and I was able to do 5 "suicide" or "separator" sprints. It was extremely tough. I only did 5 of those suckers and my legs felt like jello and I could barely breathe. Oh man - much improvement is needed. BUT, it did feel incredible to be finished.


Guess what I noticed at my grocery store the other day? Coconut water. After reading so much about this stuff in blog land - I bought one to try it out. It was very refreshing and did quench my thirst. I would most definitely buy this again.

I did some cooking yesterday for my grandparents. Since my grand mom dislocated her shoulder a few weeks back - it just hasn't been right. She still cant fully use her arm, so that makes it harder to do lots of things - Cooking is one them. Anyways, yesterday I made them a casserole and blueberry bread.
I cant claim that this blueberry bread was anything creative because I used a blueberry muffin mix and then followed the recipe on the box for Quick Bread. I did throw some brown sugar on top to give it a crumb topping.


For the casserole, I decided to use one of Pioneer Woman's recipes. She is such a talented and entertaining writer - plus her photography and recipes are incredible. Not that the recipes are always the healthiest, but decadent and rich things in moderation are totally OK in my book.I used my new knife that was a gift from my parents, along with other great kitchen stuff, and it was incredible. Nothing like a good sharp knife for chopping.I decided on the Chicken Spaghetti and it did not disappoint.Here it is going into the oven. I forgot to take an "after" picture. Notice the small tray in the bottom - that is Kevin and my portion. We had to try it too! It was SO good and I really don't think there is a palate it wouldn't please.


While I was a busy bee in the kitchen, I also marinated some tuna steaks in a mixture of EVOO, Soy Sauce, OJ, minced garlic, black pepper, parsley, and oregano. Sounds a little weird, but it was based on a marinade I found on AllRecipes.com. By dinner time, I was all "cooked" out, so Kevin was put in charge of the side dish and grilling the tuna.
He is so talented. He sauteed green beans in a little EVOO, added peanuts and then mixed them with Fage 0% greek yogurt and Sriracha. It was SO spicy, but I loved it. The fish was topped with a dollop of plain yogurt, but I thought my piece of fish tasted fishy. Kevin thought it tasted fine, so he saved it for lunch as I made a piece of PB toast to go with my green beans.


PB Toast and spicy green beans - perfect dinner. :)


Quick Question


I am looking for some different workouts. The sprints tonight were fun because it made me feel like I was back in basketball practice and had to finish 5 before I could go home. Do you incorporate workouts you used to do in sports practices into your training? If so, what are they? Do tell.

12 comments:

Anonymous June 11, 2009 at 7:41 AM  

I have down way too many suicides in my lifetime between basketball, soccer and softball! I always enjoyed running around the soccer field sprinting the end lines and jogging the length.

Thanks for sharing the recipes!

Anonymous June 11, 2009 at 7:58 AM  

The food looks great. And, nice job on the work out - way to power through.

Anonymous June 11, 2009 at 9:18 AM  

In bootcamp we used to do this series of high knees, side shuffles and butt kicks while running. I have been meaning to work those in because I think they work to balance your legs. Also, skipping - killer.

tfh June 11, 2009 at 10:05 AM  

Mmm, VitaCoco is my fave! And it has tons of vitamin C, too. What a sweet granddaughter you are.

K from ksgoodeats June 11, 2009 at 12:16 PM  

Sorry the run wasn't the greatest :( At least you stuck to it! The crumbs on the blueberry bread look so good! I love crumbly toppings!

Erin June 11, 2009 at 5:09 PM  

Way too many suicides in high school sports to ever want to sprint again, lol!

Do yoga!!

Love that casserole. Can you email me the recipe??!!

Matt June 11, 2009 at 6:03 PM  

Sorry you had a crappy/tired run. We all get those sometimes!

jh June 11, 2009 at 6:12 PM  

You always have such inspiring posts, thanks so much! I definitely love reading your blog. I use isolated jumping in my workout routine, having learned it in basketball practice. I feel it makes my runs lighter and less impactful on my joints.

jen
Boda Weight Loss Blog

Alison Can Read June 11, 2009 at 6:57 PM  

What exactly are suicides? I've heard of them but can't entirely visualize them.

lauren June 12, 2009 at 8:34 AM  

D10/yes - I remember those...will have to start doing them!

nibblesandwiggles/high knees kill me - so hard. But I should do them

jh/I need to do more jumping. good idea - thanks!

alison/suicides are where you start at one line/cone and run up to the next, touch the ground, and run back to where you started. You do this for as many lines on a basketball court for example.

I dont think I explained that very well, so check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPL487ToJt8

Anonymous June 12, 2009 at 1:44 PM  

Dang girl that bread looks soooo good! I don't ever incorporate different workouts into my routine. But I really need to work on that!

Unknown June 13, 2009 at 5:42 AM  

We used to do something in softball practice called the 'rack of pain'. Essentially the coach would call out orders and you have to follow them. Usually they simply involve running back, forward and side to side and getting facedown on the ground and standing up again. It sounds simple but done quickly it's absolutely brutal after only a couple minutes.

I wish I could still do this but it really requires someone else to give the orders and I always exercise alone.

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP