6.21.2009

All Weekends Should Be Like This...

My weekend started the way all weekends should start. Pizza and Gelato. Seriously - is there anything better?My sister came down during the afternoon with my niece and nephew to play in the park. There is a HUGE playground. Afterwards, we headed into Fells Point to BOP (Brick Oven Pizza) for what else...pizza.Jenna's Italian roots were coming out with all the hand gestures. ;) They have a TON of choices here, but we stuck with the plain cheese. They even had a mac & cheese pizza!!?! I have to say that the pizza was just OK - not my favorite. I felt like the sauce was TOO tomatoey. I like a lighter sauce.A shot of my sister and Justin, with Jenna being camera shy. Conveniently, there was a Gelato place right next door - Pitango. (picture taken a few weeks back when Kevin I went in the evening)The cool thing about this place is that the gelato is all-natural. On the website they boast, "We use nothing artificial; no coloring, flavoring or chemicals, and no excessive fats or sugars because we believe that our customers can taste the difference." I ordered the same thing I had a few weeks back - Pistachio Gelato. I have never claimed to be an huge ice cream fan, but I ate every bite of this stuff - it was incredible. Only downfall is that you pay the price for quality stuff. It is definitely on the pricey side, but would be perfect for a splurge night or afternoon.


Immediately after they left, I headed down to visit my friend from college, who had a baby about 3 months back. Such a cute picture!We hung out for the afternoon and waited for the others to arrive before heading to Redwood in Bethesda, MD to celebrate my birthday. I love when birthdays are nice and spread out. :)
I started with the Spring Market Lettuce Salad which had asparagus, roasted baby rainbow carrots, toasted hazelnuts, chevre, and a carrot-cider vinaigrette. It was refreshing and extremely tasty.
For my main meal, I ordered the appetizer size Bacon-Macaroni & Cheese Gratin. It just sounded too good to be true, so I had to go for it. It came served in this cute mini creuset pot and was very rich. I thought it could have used a little more salt or seasoning, but over all it was good.
We had a number of drinks, but I think the most delicious drink was this white sangria with blueberries. YUM. We ordered two desserts for us all to share. My favorite was this carrot cake with a lemon cream cheese icing and caramel sauce.We also got the apple tart which was just OK. We each took turns holding Olivia, who was a perfect little lady at the restaurant.
Here is a shot of our whole table - all Susquehanna University ladies.
A little intermission for the animal talk:


Oscar and Lucy had a friend to play with this weekend - Max - my parent's black lab. He likes to climb on the couch while you are away and I caught him!! Look at that guilty, but sweet face!
The rest of the weekend was great. Saturday, we helped friends celebrate their 1 year wedding anniversary with a big party in Patapsco State Park. I didn't take one photo, but we had a great time.


Today (Sunday), Kevin and I went out on a friend's boat. My parents were out of town for the weekend, so Father's day will be celebrated this Tuesday!
A little overcast today, but the sun eventually came out and it was a great day to be out on a boat. Above is a shot of us going through "ego alley" in downtown Annapolis. It is known as ego alley because lots of expensive boats are docked there and others ride through really slow so everyone can see their boat.A very cool lighthouse in the middle of the bay - right near the bay bridge.
Sooo, I think my weekend also ended the way every weekend should end - spending the afternoon on a boat!


Pizza and Gelato, Dinner out with friends, party in the park, and a boat ride = Great Weekend!


I hope everyone had a super weekend and is having a wonderful Father's Day!

20 comments:

Erin June 21, 2009 at 8:37 PM  

So many fabulous things!

Susquehanna, obvi!!!

Chrissy's adorable baby girl!

Carrot cake with lemon icing!!

ANNAPOLIS!!!

Erica June 21, 2009 at 8:51 PM  

So much fun stuff in this post! The gelato looks incredible. All the food at Redwood looks so well put together- just pretty! Especially the salad. Glad you had a great time.

Matt June 21, 2009 at 9:22 PM  

Mmm pizza and gelato... Sounds like an awesome weekend!

I Run for Fun June 21, 2009 at 10:20 PM  

Fun weekend! How do you find time for so much stuff on the weekends?

The pics are great as usual...and the food at Redwood's looks so appetizing.

ChickPea June 22, 2009 at 12:07 AM  

Yum, I've never had gelato before, but you're making me think I should change that?

Anonymous June 22, 2009 at 7:49 AM  

Your weekend does sound fabulous!! Great pictures. I love BOP, sorry to hear it wasn't the best. Mac & cheese pizza?

Karena June 22, 2009 at 9:06 AM  

That pizza looks so good right now! Mac n Cheese pizza?? Can't even imagine what that looks like!

Crazy coincidence...I was just at Pitango (well, I was waiting in the car) on Friday!

SeeGirlRun June 22, 2009 at 9:23 AM  

What a wonderful weekend!!! And that baby is adorable!!

K from ksgoodeats June 22, 2009 at 12:29 PM  

Looks like a great weekend!! That baby is ADORABLE and the little girl is too cute with her gestures ;)

RunningLaur June 22, 2009 at 1:17 PM  

What a fantastic weekend!
I need to use this a proof that my birthday should be an extended celebration too!

Julie June 22, 2009 at 2:36 PM  

That gelato looks SO good! What a cute baby!!! glad you had such a great weekend :)

Anonymous June 22, 2009 at 3:58 PM  

Wonderful weekend. I love how you've been celebrating your birthday for about 3 weeks (right?). LOVE IT!

Rose June 22, 2009 at 4:09 PM  

That restaurant looks wonderful! I'll have to give it a try.

Anonymous June 22, 2009 at 5:27 PM  

Wow...great weekend of eats!! And what an ADORABLE little baby!

Unknown June 22, 2009 at 7:59 PM  

sounds like a fantastic weekend, indeed :)

Matt (No Meat Athlete) June 23, 2009 at 10:30 AM  

Hey, I just found your blog, and I was in Fells too this weekend! I love pizza, and BOP is great late night.

Anonymous June 23, 2009 at 10:45 AM  

WOW...sounds like a great weekend! I go to school at Loyola and when my sister came to visit me we went to that Gelato place! SO GOOD!!! and i just love how it is so fresh/organic! I must admit, as a college student, I usually only visit Fells point on weekends to go to the bars haha but when I went just for the day- it was so nice! I only went to the gelato place once but i plan on going much much more this school year!

MacDuff June 23, 2009 at 10:50 AM  

I have to say, I love BOP. I crave it frequently. You should try it with the fresh tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and fresh basil. It might transform your life. Just a little.

lauren June 23, 2009 at 3:53 PM  

i run for fun/this was an especially busy weekend and I was exhausted afterwards!

chickpea/most definitely go for it!!!

d10/i know it sounds gross, but if I was ever in need of major carbs - I may try a slice. ha.

nomeatathlete/nice! and I agree...BOP late night is the place to be.

macduff/oh, now that sounds good. I will definitely have to try that!

Chrissi June 24, 2009 at 1:42 PM  

Redwood was so much fun...can't wait to try another new place with you guys soon :) That video of you mountain biking makes me giggle...looks like you had fun!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP