6.25.2009

Beer, Mac&Cheese and Trivia

Since my parents were out of town this past weekend, Tuesday night, we celebrated Father's Day.
We headed to Rams Head Tavern in Savage, MD for Beer and Mac & Cheese. Could it get any better?
This was actually crab mac & cheese, which we ordered for the table, as our appetizer. Yes, this is how we roll.


I will admit that the mac & cheese was disappointing. It was cheesy, but tasted like they used powdered cheese for the sauce. I wanted the real stuff. Plus, it was hard to find any good lumps of crab meat in there.
For my main meal, I ordered the fish tacos and was sorry to see they threw some cole slaw on there. Umm..it did not say they came with cole slaw on the menu because I definitely wouldn't have ordered it. I had to scrape all of that mayo drenched stuff off. The fish was beer battered, but it was such a light coating - it tasted great on its own.


After dinner, we headed down to the bar for a little Trivia! I love trivia...SO fun. I am proud to say that our team was in first place for all 6 rounds. Well, except the final round where we lost on this question:


Which US State had the first National Park and the first female governor? Anyone know it without googling it?


I am skipping over Wednesday because I didn't bring along my camera to document the afternoon with my niece, Princess Jenna. Although, I don't think the pictures could do all her talking justice. She has a lot to say! :)


This morning, sfter a steamy walk in the park with Oscar, I whipped up some oats trying to clean out the cabinets and fridge. In the mix: oats, water, massive amount of blueberries, TJs PB filled pretzels (crumbs from the end of the bag), spoonful of PB, cinnamon, bee pollen.
I thought the crunched up pretzels would be great for a little salty flavor, but I didn't like them with everything else and ended up trying to pick them out. yuck.


After a 45 min session on the elliptical...lunch was a continuation of my mission to clean out the fridge of some veggies since we are leaving for the beach tonight for 10 LOVELY DAYS.
I whipped up this box of Mediterranean couscous in 5 mins flat and then topped with sauteed veggies, field greens, and reduced fat feta. Veggies in the mix were onions, carrots, yellow squash, and mushrooms.
It was a delicious, filling lunch. Off to finish packing!

21 comments:

Danielle C. June 25, 2009 at 1:12 PM  

Major bummer on the Mac n Cheese...totally one of my favorite comfort foods on a rainy day, if I'm going to eat Mac n Cheese it had better be goood!!!

Anonymous June 25, 2009 at 1:16 PM  

I want to move to MD just for the great eats! I live near Philly, so I am lucky in that respect but I love your reviews. When I am down there for the Baltimore half I am going to have to try some out!

Erica June 25, 2009 at 1:22 PM  

Hey girly :) What a fun celebration with your daddy. Crab Mac and Cheese sounds INCREDIBLE. Bummer that it wasn't good- grrrrrrrrrr.

Anonymous June 25, 2009 at 2:37 PM  

Love the mac and cheese. Fun trivia by the way.

I Run for Fun June 25, 2009 at 5:45 PM  

Sounds like a fun evening.

Ooh...the couscous looks good. You are so creative. When I'm looking for something quick to make, I usually come up with NOTHING!

Matt June 25, 2009 at 5:54 PM  

Nothin is better than beer and mac and cheese!

Denise June 25, 2009 at 6:57 PM  

I eat oatmeal every single day and I never heard of putting bee pollen into it. I'm going to have to try that!

Erin June 25, 2009 at 9:54 PM  

Aw, trivia with family is fun. Have fun at the beach! Where ya going?

Alison Can Read June 25, 2009 at 11:50 PM  

Love the idea of crab mac & cheese. Too bad it didn't taste special. Just thinking of m&c makes me drool :-)

ChickPea June 26, 2009 at 12:10 AM  

Yummy couscous dish!

Miz June 26, 2009 at 6:49 AM  

I laugh at myself that as much as fancy mac&cheese looks GREAT Im an old school blue box of KRAFY woman.

Anonymous June 26, 2009 at 7:38 AM  

The mac n cheese looked like it would be good, sorry to hear it wasn't.

So I have to ask bee pollen?

Have a fantastic time at the beach.

Anonymous June 26, 2009 at 11:57 AM  

lunch looks great! it looks like its from a nice restaurant or something so kudos to you! haha

and about the abroad situation....yeah i totally plan on having a nice talk with my parents when they return from vacation. Ive been doing lots of research these past 2 days and have narrowed it down to australia or florence (which is sort of funny since they are completely different from each other haha) I am definitly leaning towards italy! i really hope i end up going because people (like you) who have gone abroad say its one of the best expereinces of their entire life and those who chose not to always say that it was the one thing in college that they regretted not doing. i dont wanna be one of those people!

Lori June 26, 2009 at 9:27 PM  

I'm such a big fan of fish tacos, but I would have felt the same way about the coleslaw. I like it, but not on there. The last variety I had came with shredded cabbage, but was nice and crispy. A nice touch.

Karena June 29, 2009 at 8:42 AM  

Bummer about the mac n cheese...it sounded so yummy! You could always try to recreate it at home ;)

MacDuff June 29, 2009 at 11:26 AM  

Hm. That would be tough. I'd think it would be somewhere out west, one of the plains states, or Wyoming or Montana. Not up too high on female governor history.

This post is making me crave mac n cheese...

Melinda July 1, 2009 at 10:14 PM  

That couscous salad looks yummy- love those ingredients :)

Anonymous July 2, 2009 at 11:42 AM  

Well, at least the mac & cheese looked good. Bummer that it didn't live up to your expectations.

Paige@ Running Around Normal July 5, 2009 at 9:35 AM  

I love RAM! We went to one on Friday in Shaumburg, IL. It's def. one of my faves.

Danielle July 5, 2009 at 8:13 PM  

Sorry about the mac & cheese... it should have been good!

Katie July 8, 2009 at 6:31 PM  

Looks like an amazing trip! Glad you had a good time.

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP