6.03.2009

Animal Bonding

This "not working" thing has been good in a bunch of ways, but one in particular is that we have been eating out less and trying to use up everything in the refrigerator, freezer, and pantry.


Breakfast yesterday was an oldie, but goodie - Oatmeal made w/ skim milk, topped with sliced almonds, raisins, and a spoonful of natural peanut butter. Yes, you read right - PEANUT butter. I need to use up the peanut butter I have before I can justify buying more of my very expensive favorite - almond butter.
Dinner was simple, but filling and extremely tasty. Tofu w/ Broccoli. Every time I make a tofu dish - I think about how I cant believe I am actually eating and enjoying tofu. A few years ago, I would have thought I was SO incredibly weird. I baked the extra firm tofu as I usually do - press the tofu to remove excess liquid for about 20 mins, drizzle with Soyaki from TJs, and then bake in a pre-heated 425 degree oven for 20 mins - flipping once.


For the broccoli, I sauteed the broccoli with a clove of minced garlic in a teensy bit of toasted sesame oil and PAM over medium-high heat. Once it started to brown - I added about a 1/2 cup of water and let that cook off/steam before adding a touch of Red Curry Paste, salt, pepper, red pepper, and about 2 TBSP of Soyaki.


Mix the tofu and broccoli together, then top with chopped, roasted peanuts. Kevin said it tasted like real chinese takeout. Score!


I realized that I haven't been giving my animals enough attention on this blog and they have been doing some pretty cute things lately. Please excuse the iPhone photos...I didn't want them to move if I went downstairs to get my camera.


It starts out innocently enough...Lucy curls up in Oscar's arms as he is sleeping on the bed in the extra bedroom.She is taking advantage of this rare opportunity to get close to him.Oh no...wait...Oscar awakens and almost strangles poor Lucy...
But Lucy quickly wiggles away and makes herself even more comfortable as she realizes that she is posing for the camera.
Seriously, could this be any cuter? I think not, but I am a tad biased. :)


Today is National Running Day, so I am planning to head to the gym for a run on the treadmill in a few minutes - too humid to be outside this late in the morning.


A little later, I am meeting my mom and sister for our first CSA (Customer Supported Agriculture) pick-up at Breezy Willow Farm in howard county. Cant wait to see the produce and other stuff!


Enjoy your Wednesday as I will be enjoying my last day in my twenties. Maybe I should do a bar crawl and drink all day in honor of my twenties. (j/k)

20 comments:

K from ksgoodeats June 3, 2009 at 10:50 AM  

Aw cute pictures of the fur babies!! I'm the same way with tofu - a few months ago I was too scared to eat it but now I crave it! Your dish sounds fantastic!!

SeeGirlRun June 3, 2009 at 10:57 AM  

I live the pics of the pets. Too cute. Hey - what kind of oatmeal do you eat?

Thanks,
Laura

I Run for Fun June 3, 2009 at 11:05 AM  

Aww...I love Oscar & Lucy pics!

The tofu and broccoli sounds good. I need to try out this recipe.

Anne June 3, 2009 at 11:11 AM  

The tofu and broccoli dish looks so good! Those pictures of your pets are adorable. They look so comfy snuggling like that :D

Erica June 3, 2009 at 11:13 AM  

AWWWWWWWW HAPPY EARLY BDAY! Enjoy your day. Please take lots of pics of your CSA! I just found the most awesome local farm stand and I bought peaches, tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers yesterday! So yummy. Love the puppers and kitty!Keep the pics coming!

Betsy June 3, 2009 at 11:17 AM  

Possibly the greatest series of pictures, ever. Too cute! My cats do that together but inter-species is so much better.

Anonymous June 3, 2009 at 11:25 AM  

I am seriously having one of "those days" and your animal pics cheered me up!

Tiffany June 3, 2009 at 11:29 AM  

That is way too cute! I love how they snuggle together. Now if only my cat would do that.

janetha June 3, 2009 at 12:20 PM  

awh those are the most ADORABLE animal cuddlefest photos! <3

Anonymous June 3, 2009 at 12:30 PM  

Thirty hasn't been bad for me. Enjoy your last day!

Your animals are too cute. The pictures made me smile.

Grace June 3, 2009 at 3:06 PM  

I love those furry friends!

Anonymous June 3, 2009 at 3:08 PM  

OH yes, they are too cute!

Happy almost birthday :)

And I am super jealous of the CSA pick-up, I so wanted to do that this year.

Julie June 3, 2009 at 4:24 PM  

Happy last day of your 20s! Your pets are SO cute :)

Aron June 3, 2009 at 4:38 PM  

omgosh cutest pics every <3

Matt June 3, 2009 at 5:51 PM  

Happy early birthday :)

Make it a good one!

Alison Can Read June 3, 2009 at 8:55 PM  

I never thought I'd be a tofu pan either. But it's amazingly versatile. Since it doesn't really taste like anything you can flavor it in innumerable ways. I also like cutting it really thin so it crisps up well.

Erin June 3, 2009 at 11:11 PM  

Lauren! Happy (almost) bday!!

OMG srsly, Lucy and Oscar are THE cutest!

Yes, New England is VERY dog friendly in terms of lodging. Mostly B&Bs which we like a lot. It's been good so far!

ChickPea June 4, 2009 at 12:11 AM  

Two of my favorite things--broccoli and tofu!

Grace June 4, 2009 at 8:40 AM  

Happy Birthday from the your home world to your blog world!

MacDuff June 9, 2009 at 10:50 AM  

OH MY GOD SHE IS SO HUGE!!!!! And adorable. She's really come a long way - I swear, everything about her looks so much healthier and colorful since you first got her. It's like the gray on her is a sharper color. You are obviously a very good mommy...

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP