I just have to tell you that - I won my FIRST giveaway! This is exciting because I have entered every contest in the history of blog giveaways and finally won, which goes to show you that persistence pays off. Julie @ JulieGoLean is sending me a bunch of her favorite things plus a workout mix CD. Can't wait!
Moving on to OIKOS. First, I sampled the Honey flavor. I really like how the honey is on the bottom and you get to mix it in - it adds just enough sweetness for me and I feel like I am cooking since I get to mix stuff.
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- Italian Herbs (I used the paste stuff, but fresh basil and oregano would be better)
- salt & pepper
- chicken broth or white wine
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 container OIKOS plain greek yogurt
- Saute garlic and onions in olive oil over medium high heat.
- Deglaze the pan with chicken broth. (White wine would be better, but I didn't have any on hand.)
- Add 1 can of tomato sauce and throw in Italian herbs, salt & pepper to taste.
- Simmer for about 15 mins, then stir in yogurt and heat for about 5 mins over medium heat. (Next time I would add some baby spinach to the sauce to get more green.)
We picked up huge, plump scallops from Kool Ice in Cambridge, MD on the way back from the beach and they went great with penne and the healthified creamy tomato sauce.
This stuff rocked my world. The cheese made it a little higher in fat, but I thought it was pretty low in calories and the sodium wasn't as bad as others. Entire package: 340 calories, 22g fat, 14g protein.
I liked the Ingredient list enough to share. I could actually recognize everything in the list.
Ingredients: water, tomatoes, potatoes, green peas, carrots, paneer cheese, green beans, onion, sunflower oil, watermelon seed paste, cashews, cream, salt, red chiles, ginger, spices, garlic, turmeric.
I added broccoli florets to bulk up the green factor and although this picture doesn't do it justice - this was a very filling and delicious lunch.
Second - Dark Chocolate Covered Pretzel Slims.
These were opened immediately after purchasing. I have to be careful with these things because they have that sweet/salty combo that I can't seem to resist. 7 slims = 190 calories, 8g fat, 3g protein.
Hope you enjoyed this edition of "TraderJoes-aholic".
A few of you asked for the Red Pepper Pesto Dip* from the makeup party on Saturday. Well, here you go:
(*recipe taken from a wheat thins box)
- 1 tub (8 oz) Light Cream Cheese Spread
- 1 large red pepper, chopped (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1/2 cup Reduced Fat Feta Cheese (they recommend Athens)
- 2 tbsp Basil Pesto Sauce (they recommend DiGiorno)
- Combine cream cheese, pepper, feta cheese, and basil pesto dip into a medium mixing bowl and stir until softened.
- Put mixture into a pie dish or any oven safe dish.
- Heat oven to 425 and bake for about 10 minutes or until dip is bubbly.
- Let it cool for about 5 minutes and serve with a box of Wheat Thins or any other cracker that your prefer.
What is the last thing you ate?
Me - 4 dark chocolate covered pretzel slims. Help me - I can't stop!