4.01.2009

#207

Today, I was known as 207. I had jury duty for the first time and can honestly say that I really enjoyed it. It was some of the best people watching I have experienced in a long time. I got front row tickets to the juror selection for a murder trial and while I wasn't chosen - the whole process fascinated me.
Please dis-regard the sandwich crumbs on my sweater in this awful iPhone photo. Those cow necks always seem to snag the crumbs that miss my mouth.


My breakfast bowl this morning contained oats, skim milk, blueberries, chopped pecans, bee pollen, cinnamon, honey, and almond butter. My favorite Larabar of all-time: Coconut Cream Pie. I always have a nice stash of these and it came in handy since I needed easy, portable snacks. The crumbs on my sweater above are courtesy of my packed lunch below - whole wheat bagel w/ BBQ Chicken Breast deli meat, cheddar cheese, spinach, schmear of dijon mustard, and a schmear of smart balance.
This is a picture from Tuesday, but I ate the same carrots w/ almond butter today in the jury waiting area as well. Swingline is the better brand brand of staplers. Office Space, anyone?
I finally had time to catch up on my magazine and book reading from months ago.
Last night, Kevin and I ran 4 miles outside in perfect running weather. Tonight, it was raining lightly, so Oscar and I ran a quick 2 miles around the park before I came home and did Jillian Michael's 40 mins No Trouble Zone workout.


Dinner was quick and easy. Sauteed Bay Scallops with JO Seasoning served at 6:58pm. Bay scallops are smaller than sea scallops - about a 1/2 inch in diameter. I had to explain that since I have about 30 on my plate.Near East Pine Nut couscous mixed w/ sauteed spinach.2 buck chuck (a.k.a. Charles Shaw) in my fancy stemless wine glass.
Ok - I am off to settle in and relax with my boyfriend and furry friends.


Be back tomorrow with the Apricot/Oatmeal/Coconut bar recipe and My Favorite Things response that are both waaay overdue.


Anyone have any interesting jury duty stories?

24 comments:

Erica April 1, 2009 at 9:53 PM  

Cool day! I have only gone in for jury duty 1 time and we just sat in a room for a long time and then were let go! Those Bay Scallops sound awesome

Lori April 1, 2009 at 10:42 PM  

I am so aching for some Almond Butter. I ran out a couple weeks ago and can't get more until I visit home in May. :(

You reminded me that I still need to read eat, pray love. I've heard it is great.

Kara April 1, 2009 at 10:46 PM  

Those scallops look awesome!

I've eluded jury duty so far, but there's only so long before they get ya...

RunningLaur April 1, 2009 at 10:47 PM  

Ooo, I do! I was on a jury about a month or two ago (I actually ended up being foreman). Anyway, during the jury selection process, there was an older woman who went on with a long, thorough, anatomical description of the medications she was on, and how they gave her uncontrollable diarrhea. She didn't get picked thank goodness.

Anonymous April 2, 2009 at 12:19 AM  

I have never had jury duty...sounds like it could be a interesting experience! I have the same problem with sweaters like that...today I wore one and got toothpaste on it...oops.

ChickPea April 2, 2009 at 12:35 AM  

I've never been a juror...I think I would be intimidated by the whole process!

Sarah (lovINmytummy) April 2, 2009 at 1:01 AM  

You just need to dress up like Princess Leia and bring a stack of Playgirls.

If you don't watch 30 Rock, you think I'm crazy.

Or maybe just crazier...

Anonymous April 2, 2009 at 7:09 AM  

Iv'e never had jury duty before! Way to make the best of it. Can't wait for the recipe.

Anonymous April 2, 2009 at 8:07 AM  

Coconut cream pie lara and stemless wine glasses?! You have fantastic tastes :)

EL April 2, 2009 at 8:21 AM  

Where do you get your JO Spice? My husband despises Old Bay and raves about JO, but we can never find it.

lauren April 2, 2009 at 8:46 AM  

Lori/Do you want me to send you some? I would be more than happy to do it because I know I would go CRAZY without almond butter.

RunningLaur/ LOL - that is hilarious. When people when up to explain why they couldnt be on the jury - they turned on this static/white noise stuff so we couldnt hear anything they were saying. ughh!

runsarah/ahhh - toothpaste is another one that always gets everywhere for me too.

chickpea/I was definitely nervous and all I had to do was stand up and say "present" - ha.

sarah/shoot - i dont watch it,so now you are just crazier. j/k! ;)

ksgoodeats/thanks! gotta use fancy glasses since I was drinking $2 wine!

EL/I just asked my boyfriend and he said he found it in Annapolis at a Seafood market, but anywhere that actually steams crabs would probably have it. actually - Canton Dockside uses it to steam their crabs (because he asked) and he got some to go when we ate crabs there last week for his bday.

Balance, Joy and Delicias! April 2, 2009 at 9:18 AM  

jury duty seems to fun! I think it's exciting to know how everything works. we only know this from TV series but I guess it's a totally different perception being part of it!
baby scallop looks yummy~~~ :D

ashley (sweetandnatural) April 2, 2009 at 9:41 AM  

So funny - I just had jury duty for the first time last week! I had to be there for two days, but my name never even got called. It was a nice break from everyday craziness though!

Anonymous April 2, 2009 at 9:42 AM  

I've never been called for jury duty. :(

I love swingline staplers too - I have one that stands up.

Allison M. April 2, 2009 at 11:01 AM  

My mom always gets called. It's an ongoing joke between us - aren't there any other people they can call?

Crossing my fingers I don't get called...

Katie April 2, 2009 at 11:59 AM  

I've never had jury duty, but you make it sound interesting.

I am dying for some time to catch up on magazine reading. They're piling up!

Erin April 2, 2009 at 12:05 PM  

I also think jury duty is fun! Wow, Baltimore jury duty must be interesting. I got called for duty when I lived in Philly, and there were so many criminal cases that I got bounced from 1 courtroom to the next, each time I didn't get selected. I must have sat in for selection on 3 trials that day, 1 of which was a murder trial.

I ♥ bay scallops! You must get the best ones down there.

tfh April 2, 2009 at 1:12 PM  

Wow-- jury duty for a murder trial! I always seem to get the drunk drivers.

Your couscous looks so good.

Michelle @ Find Your Balance Health April 2, 2009 at 1:18 PM  

I love 2 buck chuck! Haven't had it recently because the Trader Joe's near us doesn't sell alcohol. Boo! As for jury duty, I got out of a murder case about 2 years ago, they just didn't pick me. The guy on trial was SCARY looking so I'm glad!

EL April 2, 2009 at 1:36 PM  

Too funny, my husband grew up with the manager/owner of Dockside, but we never thought to ask.

Ali April 2, 2009 at 1:50 PM  

I've never been requested for jury duty, I always think it would be like a John Grisham novel.

Aron April 2, 2009 at 2:25 PM  

gah i just got a notice in the mail!!

lol i always get crumbs on me too :) my husband is always making fun of me for it ;)

Julie April 2, 2009 at 3:43 PM  

i'm so jealous! i wanna do jury duty haha I feel like it would be so fun! My mom almost got put on this huge malpractice case but got released I was jealous haha. I think its so cute how you and your bf go running together!

I Run for Fun April 2, 2009 at 8:33 PM  

Those scallops look so good. Hmm...almond butter as dip...I should try that.

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP