2.19.2009

Random Thursday Thoughts

The Fresh Market


Has anyone been to this place? I took a trip up there during my lunch break yesterday and was so impressed. I could have spent 3 hours just looking around.

I took this photo from their website to give you a quick peek inside...since I was one of the only people in there and felt weird snapping photos. Beautiful, right?
I had been given a tip from Ashley (another MD blogger) that they sold Barney Butter there...I definitely opened it in my car and took a taste. ahhh - love it. :)

Since I have been on a beet kick lately - I grabbed these as an impulse buy. I ended up deciding on a California Roll for lunch. Mainly because there was a sushi chef there rolling it, so I knew it was fresh. It better be, at the FRESH market.

Annabel Lee Tavern

Last night, Kevin wanted to go out to dinner. I don't think I have ever said no to that suggestion. We walked 2 blocks to a local favorite - Annabel Lee Tavern. One of my favorite things about city-life is being able to walk a few blocks to a great restaurant.
Annabel Lee is semi-new and has an Edgar Allen Poe theme going on - if you couldn't already tell by the name. Inside, it has a very cozy feel. There are always a ton of unique, mouthwatering specials and I have never been disappointed with any dish I've ordered.
Another nice thing is that Kevin went to college with one of the bartenders there, so that translates to extremely heavy pours of wine and maybe even a discount here and there. :)
I forgot my camera, so the pictures above have been borrowed from the website to give you a peek inside. But, the point of this story is that I overindulged.

It all started with my HUGE glass of red wine. Then, we ordered shrimp potstickers as an appetizer and I got roasted vegetable ravioli with a gorgonzola/mushroom sauce for my main meal. Kevin got the shrimp/scallop/crab risotto special that I, of course, tried a few bites.

Hello - self-control? You there?

Thursday

I vowed to get up early and go to the gym. Well, I got up early (5:30!!), but realized that Exercise TV was much more convenient than going to the gym. I also found a 1 hour "Boost Metabolism" workout with Jillian Michaels that sounded perfect to help burn off my dinner. Jillian is no joke and makes sweat pour out of me - I love that.

I worked up an appetite for oats.
  • 1/2 c oatmeal
  • skim milk to cover oats
  • sprinkle of cinnamon
  • handful of blueberries
  • drizzle of agave nectar
  • sprinkle of bee pollen
  • spoonful of Barney Butter! (this stuff is a little runnier than I remember, but still has the same great flavor)

Running Resource

I wanted to provide a good resource to the running folks out there - my dad's running blog - Running with Tom!

I am not sure if I have provided it before, but he lists out a bunch of different treadmill workouts where you can adjust the starting speed to your pace and then follow his intervals. His friend actually manages the blog, but my dad provides the input.

He is waaay faster and a more experienced runner than me - so I know he would be happy to answer any running/training questions you have. He has run over 50 marathons and at least 10 ultras!

Have a great Thursday!

19 comments:

I Run for Fun February 19, 2009 at 2:48 PM  

The Fresh Market looks so good. Wish they had a place like that in NJ! Your dad's site is a great resource. It's so nice to be able to draw inspiration from family!

Caitlin at Healthy Tipping Point February 19, 2009 at 2:48 PM  

hey! i dont know much about bee pollen, but i figure it can't hurt :) i think it would have to be local bees to work, though!

Anonymous February 19, 2009 at 3:08 PM  

ah the fresh market looks goooood! i still ahvent gone yet! how far away is it from canton? i gotta go :) so happy you got some BB

Anonymous February 19, 2009 at 3:19 PM  

That tavern looks sooo cool. Knowing bartenders is the BEST!

EL February 19, 2009 at 4:01 PM  

I love Annabel Lee Tavern. If my husband was not sick we would so be going there for dinner tonight. Have you tired Yellow Dog Tavern? That is another of my favorites.

Anonymous February 19, 2009 at 4:18 PM  

Barney butter!! Delish!

Erica February 19, 2009 at 6:41 PM  

Great post! Glad you found your bb. That tavern looks awesome! Small but beautiful!

Anonymous February 19, 2009 at 7:14 PM  

I got some Barney Butter coming in the mail soon hopefully! They emailed me and want me to do a product review!

runjen February 19, 2009 at 7:24 PM  

We have a Fresh Market here and I LOVE it! You are right about Jillian. She does NOT mess around. I just bought her new 30 day shred dvd and it's awesome.

Anonymous February 19, 2009 at 10:00 PM  

Doesn't every good story start off with, it started with a glass of wine!

Rose February 19, 2009 at 10:36 PM  

Where is the Fresh Market in Bmore?? Bill's parents live by one, and I love that place!

Thanks for sharing your Dad's blog. That's really cool that he has a blog for running.

lauren February 19, 2009 at 10:53 PM  

dailygoods/I think it is about 20-25 mins from Canton. I went there from my work and it was only like 10 mins, you definitely have to go!

EL/ yellow dog is great too! although we havent been there in awhile...definitely time to go again.

matt/you lucky duck!

d10/totally.

Rose/It is north of the city...on the west side of 695 - Greenspring Ave South to Quarry Lake Dr. Nice new shopping area!

Lori February 19, 2009 at 11:16 PM  

A Fresh Market opened where we lived in KY just before we moved abroad. I only got to go once, but I loved it! I can't wait to go back again. I have a friend who shops there regularly.

That ravioli sounds amazing!

Elizabeth February 20, 2009 at 12:22 AM  

Judging by the map that doesn't even have my half (aka the western part) of the country on it, I won't have the pleasure of visiting the fresh market anytime soon. :) But, it looks great nonetheless!!

Tyler February 20, 2009 at 12:28 AM  

i love fresh market! i always get their whole wheat yeast knots, and i love the little coffee samples :)

ChickPea February 20, 2009 at 12:33 AM  

I, too, am a fan of Fresh Market. They arrived in town long before Whole Foods, so I developed a love for their stellar bulk foods dept--trail mix galore!

Anonymous February 20, 2009 at 1:19 AM  

Love the hookup at the restaurant. I need more waiter/waitress/bartender friends!

Thanks for the link to your dad's site too...I always need those treadmill workouts.

LizNoVeggieGirl February 20, 2009 at 7:48 AM  

Fabulous market, eats... wowza!!

Happy Friday!!

Becky February 22, 2009 at 1:14 AM  

I wish I had Jillian Michaels workouts on my cable service, that woman terrifies me! In a good way, I think.

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP