2.06.2009

Copycat (2.06.2009)

Is copying someone the best form of flattery? When it comes to food, I say YES.


Since going to b-Bistro, I have been dreaming about the salad I had there. It was just the perfect combination of ingredients. As soon as I saw these little guys at Trader Joes, I knew I wanted to try and re-create my experience.
I had to use up the remainder of my Boston Butter Lettuce before it went bad, so I chopped that up and paired it with 2 sliced baby beets, a spoonful of goat cheese (a.k.a. chevre), and candied walnuts. I also whisked together a splash of EVOO and White Wine Vinegar to top my lettuce.
To candy the walnuts, I used a tsp of smart balance, a tsp of brown sugar, and about a 1/4 c of walnuts, which I added to a small frying pan over medium heat. Once it started to get caramelized, I pulled them off and let them cool. The candy coating on the walnuts hardened during the cooling process.
oh. my. goodness. It was close enough to the original for me - I loved it.

I also had some roasted butternut squash on the side.
And then another Skinny Cow Caramel Cone for dessert. I am not a huge ice cream fan, but the inside of these cones are chocolate-lined, and the bottom is solid chocolate. Mm. Mm.

Happy Friday from one of my furry friends!

15 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl February 6, 2009 at 9:47 AM  

Amazing dish!!

Hooray for Oscar!! Love him :-D

HAPPY FRIDAY, LAUREN!!

Erica February 6, 2009 at 9:49 AM  

Nice recreation! I crave dishes I have at certain restaurants all the time! I should give a go at some copycating of my own! Hi Oscar! Hugs!

Anonymous February 6, 2009 at 10:14 AM  

That cone sounds like a drumstick :D Have a great weekend i just want to snuggle with your doggie!!

tfh February 6, 2009 at 10:50 AM  

Ooh, chevre +beets on salad is SO GOOD. I worry that if I make candied walnuts, though, I'll eat them all before I even get a chance to put them on a sald.

Rose February 6, 2009 at 11:38 AM  

Copying is certainly the best form of flattery! If you think about it - that's what the bulk of recipes are - copied from generation to generation.

:)

Anonymous February 6, 2009 at 12:37 PM  

That salad is definitely restaurant worthy :)

Anonymous February 6, 2009 at 1:13 PM  

Yay, glad the salad came out so well!

Yum, I love ice cream cones that have chocolate on the inside!

Anonymous February 6, 2009 at 1:53 PM  

Glad you could recreate it! Sounds delish :)

Anonymous February 6, 2009 at 2:02 PM  

Sounds and looks yummy,.

Anonymous February 6, 2009 at 2:48 PM  

Roasted butternut squash! Looks delicious.

Anonymous February 6, 2009 at 6:15 PM  

What section of TJs are those beets in? I LOVE beets but hate cooking 'em and canned are just NOT the same.

lauren February 6, 2009 at 6:29 PM  

sarah/I found them in the refrigerated area by all the packaged vegetables and herbs. They were awesome!

Unknown February 7, 2009 at 11:25 PM  

i haven't attempted recreations, but i think i've been summonned since a few of my friends started reading :)

I Run for Fun February 8, 2009 at 1:36 PM  

The salad looks good! Have to say this again...Oscar is such a handsome fella!

HangryPants February 9, 2009 at 5:26 PM  

Your version of the salad looks delicious!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP