2.18.2009

Hump Day Post

Can I just say I am so impressed with the bloggers out there who come up with creative post titles!?! I had a major block today, as I do most days.

My legs were dragging a little bit yesterday, so after procrastinating for about an hour and a half, I finally headed to the gym at 7:15pm.


I am an expert procrastinator. I took Oscar to the park, then came home and tried to get him to chase Lucy for awhile. I thought about starting my taxes (meaning, I tried to locate my turbo tax log in) and then looked around facebook for waaay too long. So many ways to be unproductive! :)

I did manage to do a 4-mile treadmill run.
  • Mile 1 - 6.0 speed
  • Mile 2 - 6.2 speed
  • Mile 3 - 6.4 speed
  • Mile 4 - 6.0 speed
I felt accomplished and overheated. I think they must have cranked up the heat in the gym last night.

Dinner was inspired by Chandra and Erica. I had plans to make Turkey Mini Meatloaves, but after seeing I had all the makings of a great Turkey Burger - I went for it.

Here is how I did it:

  1. Saute 1 clove garlic (minced), 1/2 small onion (chopped), and heaping handful of baby spinach with a dash of EVOO.
  2. Cook over medium heat until the onion is tender and the spinach is wilted. Let cool.
  3. Mix spinach mixture with ground turkey.
  4. Go wild with spices. I threw in a few dashes of sea salt, black pepper blend, Worcestershire, red pepper, and egg whites. I also threw in about 1/4 cup of blue cheese crumbles.
  5. Shape away. I went with the normal "burger" shape.
Kevin grilled them up beautifully. (Grill marks!)
Country Bob's on the side for dipping. They were mighty tasty. Served with a slice of wheat toast w/ whipped smart balance.
Butternut squash fries with ketchup on the side.
I would say this meal was a major success because while we were eating Kevin goes, "I was NOT looking forward to this meal at all, but I have to say, this is one of the best "blog/healthy" meals you have ever made!" :)

Other Stuff

I had signed up for the Club Challenge 10-miler this Sunday. This is where all the running clubs in Maryland compete in a 10-mile race. It will be a pretty competitive bunch on a challenging course, with a lot of fast times. I'll admit that I was nervous, but I was committed to doing it and told myself I wouldn't bail last minute.

That changed when I found out Kevin's Award Dinner is the Saturday night before the race. This award dinner is special because this year - Kevin is going to be receiving a pretty big award. It is a Black Tie function in some swanky club on the top floor of the Legg Mason building that stands prominently in the Baltimore skyline. He is renting a tux and I bought a new dress. We want to relax and enjoy it! and drink as much wine as we want!

So, that was my long-winded way of saying I am not running the race on Sunday. But, I will be running 8-9 miles Saturday morning to make up for bailing on the race.

Thought you might like to check out my dress for Saturday night. A Black-Strapless-Number.

I have a hard time buying any dress that isn't black. White House/Black Market is my go-to store for dresses.

While I was in my room taking a picture of the dress, I snapped this photo:

My board with (most of) my race bibs. I would love to do some sort of collage with all of these and have it framed. So, I am curious for all of you runners or racers of any kind - what do you do with your race bibs? Throw them out? Save them? If you save them, where do you put them?

25 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl February 18, 2009 at 3:14 PM  

Great run, dress, and...

SWEET POTATOES!! :-D

Rose February 18, 2009 at 3:15 PM  

Years ago I saved all mine but then ended up throwing them out because some of them tore/went through the ringer when I moved to DC.

I had a friend who (somehow) was making a quilt out of those. I don't know if she ever worked on/finished it or how one might even do such a thing, but it's an interesting thought.

Have you ever thought of decoupaging (msp.) them onto something like a table? That might be fun. I'm also obsessed with that stuff...

Anonymous February 18, 2009 at 3:24 PM  

I don't have any race bibs....but if i did, I would hang on to them =)

thats such a pretty dress too, you should take a picture on sat night - for the sake of the blog =)

lauren February 18, 2009 at 3:41 PM  

rose/ that is an AWESOME idea...a table, desk, or even a bar with a glass top...would look so cool. I have a new project!

tfh February 18, 2009 at 3:51 PM  

Butternut squash fries!?! How do you make those?

I used to save my race bibs with my time written in, but now I just toss them b/c my apartment really doesn't need more clutter.

Unknown February 18, 2009 at 4:01 PM  

cute dress and lovely eats :) i save my bibs, and put them in a corner of my wall for inspiration...

Anonymous February 18, 2009 at 4:22 PM  

I've only done one race thus far, and I put the bib on the fridge for awhile. Then I threw it out :-)

Gorgeous dress! Please post a pic of you and Kevin all dressed up.

Anonymous February 18, 2009 at 4:47 PM  

I am always impressed by those bloggers too :) Love that dress!!

Anonymous February 18, 2009 at 5:09 PM  

You could make a dress out of your bibs and wear it to the dinner!!! I want pictures of THAT!

Lori February 18, 2009 at 5:36 PM  

Oooh, I need to try butternut squash fries. Yum!

Love your dress. I am stuck in a black dress - rut too. As long as they are different styles. I figure I am okay.

Hope the run goes well. Sorry, I usually toss my bibs. :( I'm not nearly as accomplished in racing as you are though. I love the idea mentioned already.

I Run for Fun February 18, 2009 at 7:04 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
I Run for Fun February 18, 2009 at 7:06 PM  

Cute dress! The turkey burger looks so good.

I don't have enough bibs to make an impressive display. But I do save em and when I collect enough, I'd like to display them along with my finishers' medals, keep looking at them and feeling proud of myself. Vain, huh?

Anonymous February 18, 2009 at 7:29 PM  

I have saved every race bib from every race I've ever ran. Every race is special to me and deserves to be remembered!

Erica February 18, 2009 at 7:44 PM  

owwwwwwwwww Love the dress! You must post a picture of you in it! I demand it ;) Dinner looks like it turned out perfectly! Yum yum!

Meghann February 18, 2009 at 7:46 PM  

I have a whole race board that has all my bib numbers and various other race memorabilia. I want to get some sort of mantel for it all or something.

Anonymous February 18, 2009 at 8:02 PM  

The dress is so cute!! Have fun at the event. Great that Kevin is getting an award! I can't wait to read more about it.

Anonymous February 18, 2009 at 8:53 PM  

Cute dress! Do we get to hear more about this special award?

Anonymous February 18, 2009 at 9:52 PM  

Hi! You have AMAZING dinners and I admire all the effort and time that goes into planning and making those delicious meals! Thanks for being a role model! I'm also SO impressed by all the bibs from the races!!

Elizabeth February 19, 2009 at 12:07 AM  

Wow. Great run. Beautiful dress! I'm a master procrastinator too. Sometimes I end up sitting at work until 8:00pm avoiding the gym. So silly! :)

a February 19, 2009 at 12:29 AM  

that turkey burger looks delicious! i am the same way with black dresses, they always seem to look the best!!

Anonymous February 19, 2009 at 9:48 AM  

Cute dress!! I love WHBM :)

Hooray for a fantastic meal!

lauren February 19, 2009 at 10:05 AM  

tfh/Here is how I did them - peel and chop the butternut squash into fry shapes. Pre-heat the oven to 450. spray a pan with PAM - and then bake for at least 30 mins...flipping once.

sarah/good idea! :)

i run for fun/ definitely not vain - stuff to be proud of!

ashley/ His award is for having the most sales last year out of his entire team!

luckytastebuds/you are SO kind - thank you!

EL February 19, 2009 at 10:49 AM  

I am so bummed you are not doing the race. Have a great time Saturday night!

HangryPants February 19, 2009 at 2:13 PM  

Cute dress! I am partial to black dresses as well.

I've only run in once race and I threw the bib away. Now, I wish I had saved it. I didn't even think of it at the time.

Courtney February 23, 2009 at 9:26 PM  

Hi Lauren,

My race bibs make a chair railing height wallpaper-style border around the exercise room in our basement. It looks nice.

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP