3.15.2009

Weekend Check-In

I hope everyone is having a great weekend. It has been pretty cool and cloudy in Baltimore, but my eats have been post-worthy. Let's get to it.

Thanks to everyone for the tips on how to deal with steel cut oats (groats)! I tried again on Saturday morning and following the stove top directions created a great finished product! The consistency was heartier than regular oats, but I really enjoyed them.
Of course, I would never eat them plain, so I added cinnamon, bee pollen, honey, banana, chopped figs, chopped pecans, almond butter. After a great breakfast, Kevin and I went for a little over an hour long trail run in Patapsco State Park. The trails were in good shape and it was a tough run. If I had to guess, I would say we ran 5.5 - 6.0 miles.

I came home and ate a cutie.
For lunch, Kevin grilled up some zucchini...
And I made mexican pita bites. Whole Wheat pita, guacamole, grilled chicken, and salsa.
Dessert was two mini coconut macaroons.
After a day of errands, we met up with our friends Carron and Ben for dinner at Rocket to Venus! We decided to split a few appetizers. Roasted Brussels.
Rotini and Cheese.
And Fried Oysters...not pictured. I decided to get the Sloppy Jo-fu - Tofu prepared in a sweet and sour sloppy joe sauce on a toasted bun, garnished with coleslaw.
I really liked the tofu and the sauce was sweet with a spicy kick. The fries were perfect - fresh-cut, salty, with just the right amount of crunch. As you can see, it was a huge portion, so I took home some leftovers that I will enjoy today at some point.

We decided to all split the Fried Peanut Butter & Jelly for dessert. I think the picture speaks for itself. Decadent.
This morning, I woke up and made some pancakes with fresh fruit. I picked up the mix below and you would have never known they were 100% whole wheat. They were fluffy, just like normal buttermilk pancakes.
I added sliced strawberries and bananas and drizzled with agave nectar. I am FULL.
We are getting ready to go to see the Harlem Globetrotters...so I have to get moving.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

24 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl March 15, 2009 at 10:37 AM  

Oooh love your breakfast; and that Fried Peanut Butter & Jelly!!! Wowza!!

Have fun seeing the Harlem Globetrotters!! Love watching them perform :-)

Balance, Joy and Delicias! March 15, 2009 at 10:45 AM  

great eats!
enjoy your Sunday! :D

K from ksgoodeats March 15, 2009 at 11:41 AM  

Yum!! Sloppy Jo-fu, Mexican pita bites, and fried PBJ?! All sound fabulous :)

Have fun today!!

Bec March 15, 2009 at 12:48 PM  

Oh man all your eats look so good! Perfect fries, fried PB&J, pancakes? I am having food envy :)

Anonymous March 15, 2009 at 1:11 PM  

glad your 1st experience with steel-cut oats went well =)

Erica March 15, 2009 at 1:42 PM  

Have fun seeing the globetrotters! I bet that will be a lot of fun.

What a yummy bundle of eats. Cool restaurant- the sloppy jo fu sounds really interesting! I bet it was fab...and that dessert!

Lori March 15, 2009 at 3:56 PM  

Oh, grilled veggies sound so good! That dessert is crazy. Who would have thought?

Anonymous March 15, 2009 at 6:41 PM  

YOur pictures remind me of summer! I can't wait for the warmer temps. The fried PB&J looks fabulous.

Anonymous March 15, 2009 at 7:24 PM  

Everything looks so good. I want pancakes!

Anonymous March 15, 2009 at 7:39 PM  

Hi Lauren,
I love your red bowl! Glad you figured out the steel cut oats. I'm still on the fence I think.
Wow, those pancakes look delish!

Melissa March 15, 2009 at 8:00 PM  

Seriously... every time you post your eats at a new restaurant I have to bookmark it and then tell my husband we have to go up to baltimore soon!

Julie March 15, 2009 at 8:14 PM  

Damn girl that fried pb and jelly looked lethal! have fun seeing those globetrotters :)

The Purple Carrot March 15, 2009 at 8:52 PM  

Glad your groats turned out better : )

Uhm, yeah, that fried pb&j DEFINITELY speaks for itself, lol!

Hope you had a great time seeing Harlem Globetrotters!

Elizabeth March 15, 2009 at 9:18 PM  

Whoa it started out so healthy... :) The dessert at the restaurant looks amazing!! I also love all the stuff you put on your oats. Some great ideas!!

HangryPants March 15, 2009 at 9:29 PM  

I've tried the steel cut oats, but I didn't like them as much as old fashioned. They don't plump up as much.

runjen March 15, 2009 at 10:20 PM  

I need to find that whole wheat pancake mix. Is that from WF? Oh and I totally agree that the steel cut oats must be cooked stove top. I can never get them right in the mike. Have a good night!

ChickPea March 16, 2009 at 12:21 AM  

Do you have any idea if that pancake mix is vegan? Your breakfast looks delish!

Anonymous March 16, 2009 at 1:46 AM  

The pancakes look so good!

lauren March 16, 2009 at 7:03 AM  

Lori/ I know, right? The use pancake batter to coat before frying. It was so rich. Good we all split one because it was HUGE.

d10/I was trying to take my pictures outside on this table when i was home, and it is sortof like a picnic table! :) I am SO ready for warm weather.

Erin/yes, I figured I need to start switching it up!

Melissa/ thats awesome! Rocket to Venus is one of my FAVORITes.

runjen/yes, the pancake mix is from whole foods!

Chickpea/the pancake mix is not vegan - it says it contains milk products. sorry!

Anonymous March 16, 2009 at 9:33 AM  

That fried PB&J looks decadent. I've always wanted to see the Harlem Globetrotters. Have fun!

Anonymous March 16, 2009 at 10:59 AM  

Pretty creative! Your lunch looks delicious!

Anonymous March 16, 2009 at 3:42 PM  

Those pancakes look YUMMY!

I Run for Fun March 17, 2009 at 11:51 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
I Run for Fun March 17, 2009 at 11:53 AM  

Aahh...fried peanut butter and jelly. I am in pain!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP